What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Oh yeah this reminds me, I have to fill the Goldsmith Star Trek holes in my collection, V, Insurrection and LLL set for the original Star Trek TMP.

Star Trek and the Final Frontier :music:

Thinking about getting one of the expanded edition of this. What's the lyrical/action music ratio in the new material? Because if it's largely the latter, then I might pass on it.

I like Star Trek and the First Contact better

Oh yeah this reminds me, I have to fill the Goldsmith Star Trek holes in my collection, V, Insurrection and LLL set for the original Star Trek TMP.

I've been listening to the Goldsmith Treks these past weeks and agree these expansions really are excellent and worth your time (and cash).

I found it anonymous at first, began to think I would like it after listening a bit more, and have returned to not being interested. It's doodling.

Entirely possible but on first listen i was entertained enough to haul through to the end.

To get the winter out of the air i had some mono italiano that seldom fails to put a smile on my face.

John Powell - Pan

Meh. Orchestral bomast, but kind of... "empty". This is basically how I feel about, say Lockington's Journey 2 Mysterious Island, or Ottman's Jack The Giant Slayer. oh, and those "reinterpretations" of Smells Like Teen Spirit and Blitzkrieg Bop were awful!

Alan Silvestri - The Walk

Ah, now that's more like it. Now, this isn't as good as Silvestri's old stuff, or anything from the more glorious era of film scores. But compared to the scores of 2015, its a winner. Whether or not it will remain in a top 10 by the end of the year depends on what else comes out!

I can't imagine there's that many people who like this score more than HTTYD like you do, BB.

The themes in HTTYD are SO much richer!

John Powell - Pan

Meh. Orchestral bomast, but kind of... "empty". This is basically how I feel about, say Lockington's Journey 2 Mysterious Island, or Ottman's Jack The Giant Slayer. oh, and those "reinterpretations" of Smells Like Teen Spirit and Blitzkrieg Bop were awful!

Ah, now that's more like it. Now, this isn't as good as Silvestri's old stuff, or anything from the more glorious era of film scores. But compared to the scores of 2015, its a winner. Whether or not it will remain in a top 10 by the end of the year depends on what else comes out!

I agree. Did you notice Silvestri's score has a certain Horner-esque vibe?

Karol

I'd like to precise that my thumb down was also (and especially) for Lockington's Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. Fantastic score, that one.

Meh. It's a guilty pleasure score, but too much going on. Though I believe Lockington's Percy Jackson score is more guilty of what Jay is talking about.

John Powell - Pan

I agree. Did you notice Silvestri's score has a certain Horner-esque vibe?

Karol

This was probably my third time listening to The Walk and no, I've never felt it sounded Horner-ish. Parts do remind me of Silvestri's Contact.

The score works BRILLIANTLY in the film, btw. Actually all the music does - score and source.

Well, the Horner vibe is felt most prominently in this track (listen to 2:43-3:43 section):

Have you noticed noticed Tessaract theme (from Marvel films) at the very start of Full of Doubt?

Karol

I don't know Silvestri's marvel scores well enough to know what the tesseract theme is.

Hmmm, that 2:43-3:43 section reminds me of something, but I dunno if its Horner.

I think anyone composer that has reached the age over 60 has become merely serviceable... though some may disagree

Goldsmith: Total Recall, Gremlins 2, Basic Instinct, The Mummy

Williams: Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, SW Prequels

Wagner: Götterdämmerung

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9

Strauss: Four Last Songs

You want the expanded set, trust me. The full score is an excellent programme and it sounds spectacular as well.

It's the most worthwhile of the Trek expansions.

100 % agree. Also, it made this score a very strong contender for my favorite Star Trek score

I think anyone composer that has reached the age over 60 has become merely serviceable... though some may disagree

Goldsmith: Total Recall, Gremlins 2, Basic Instinct, The Mummy

Williams: Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, SW Prequels

Wagner: Götterdämmerung

Strauss: Four Last Songs

Morricone:

Casualties Of War

A Pure Formality

Lolita

The Legend Of 1900

Mission To Mars

Malena

Fateless

The Demons Of St. Petersburg

Baaria

The Best Offer

Nah, less than serviceable, didn't even finish!