What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

In celebration of my 20,000th post on this board, I'm listening to...

...the Academy Award winning score from Brokeback Mountain by Gustavo Santaolalla!

Goes to show you only went downhill from your first post onwards!

Well, at least I'm not standing still.

Nothing wrong with that!

Just let the gravity handle everything.

Ant-Man by Christophe Beck. It's my first full listen of the album (I've only heard it in the film). OK, BloodBoal, it is fun. light and there are themes. All of which makes it stand out in the MCU. It's a fun album but I wish there was more depth to the writing, it's all seems to be bit superficial and skin deep. The highlight of the score is the cue in which Beck puts his theme next to Henry Jackman's Falcon theme and Silvestri's Avengers' theme. That, and the comical heist music.

Karol

Ant-Man by Christophe Beck. It's my first full listen of the album (I've only heard it in the film). OK, BloodBoal, it is fun. light and there are themes. All of which makes it stand out in the MCU. It's a fun album but I wish there was more depth to the writing, it's all seems to be bit superficial and skin deep.

Why would you expect depth from a Marvel score? I mean, come on!

To mirror the incredible depth of MCU!

They should hire Howard Shore to score every single thing in this franchise. ;)

Karol

And I swear that bit never pops up again, but people made such a huge deal out of it.

Love that harmonic ambiguity in the beginning though. Good score, that one.

My only problem with SUN is The Nazgul Attack and Sauron's theme showing up....

And the Fellowship theme at one point, if I remember correctly.

Soul of the Ultimate Nation

Skip the Hobbit crap! This is the only follow-up to Shore's Ring Trilogy that you need.

:rolleyes:

Hyperbole, of course. The first two Hobbit scores are fine, indeed. (BOTFA might be, too, but who can tell through that awful mix?) I'll still take SUN though. And History of Violence, which I like to call "More Music From The Two Towers and Return of the King".

:music:When Worlds Collide -- Leith Stevens

How is Waxman's Rebecca? I remeber when I watched the film a while ago for the first time that the music was rather melodramatic in the typical Golden Age style.

The suite is awsome:

It's been a long time since I last saw the film, but I'm not sure if there's anything relevant missing from the suite vs the full score.

How is Waxman's Rebecca? I remeber when I watched the film a while ago for the first time that the music was rather melodramatic in the typical Golden Age style.

It's a very lovely score but if that type of melodrama bothers you, or you thought it seemed too self-aware in the movie, then you may want to pass. Personally, as someone unfamiliar with the movie, I really enjoyed it as an isolated musical listening experience. The suite just doesn't cut it for me, there's way too much music.

I heartily recommend you to check out Christopher Gunning's version for the British 1997 film, which was recently released by the Caldera Records.

I'll check it out.

The suite just doesn't cut it for me, there's way too much music.

Meaning that the suite is too long? or that it is too short?

James Newton Howard's The Village

I always dig into this score during this time of year. It is so representative of the fall season to me; all of its beauty, austerity, and chilly foreboding.

Batman Begins - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

Truly excellent score that plays great on album, as Zimmer productions often do. It's unfair how overshadowed this one is by the other two, as it's particularly elegant sonically and thematically. It's so, so stupid how callously ignored these are by so many film music fans. But that's another and oft-had conversation so I'll stop myself.

Truly excellent score that plays great on album, as Zimmer productions often do. It's unfair how overshadowed this one is by the other two, as it's particularly elegant sonically and thematically. It's so, so stupid how callously ignored these are by so many film music fans. But that's another and oft-had conversation so I'll stop myself.

It's probably my favorite of the three, though I like them all. It's a true even-split collaboration between Zimmer and Howard that diminished as the series went on until it just became Zimmer. While I like Zimmer and think these are some of his best works Begins having the most of Howard's influence means I kind of gravitate toward it by default. :lol:

Agreed. It's a great album experience. I wish they'd kept the tone of Begins for the second two scores. The actual Batman material just sort of disappears, which I understand from a narrative perspective, but it makes for a musical disappointment. The later scores (especially TDK) have their moments, but neither can hold a candle to Batman Begins, especially the album presentations.

It's probably my favorite of the three, though I like them all. It's a true even-split collaboration between Zimmer and Howard that diminished as the series went on until it just became Zimmer. While I like Zimmer and think these are some of his best works Begins having the most of Howard's influence means I kind of gravitate toward it by default. :lol:

It's definitely a much more balanced score. You can tell they both worked on some of the tracks, "Tadarida" for instance, whereas their contributions were pretty much delineated in TDK, and then JNH wasn't even around for TDKR.

Black Beauty by Danny Elfman: Easily in the top half of my Elfman top 10. This is music like I hadn't quite heard from Elfman before yet it still contains the melancholy undercurrent that is often so attractive in his music. The whole atmosphere, the small chamber orchestra styled ensemble, the brilliant set of themes and the lovely orchestrations make this irresitable experience with an English/Celtic lyrical fairytale quality to it.

It's so, so stupid how callously ignored these are by so many film music fans.

Because we are not worthy!

Can you find the strength to forgive and forget?

We shall learn to embrace the power of the Zim or embrace our own destruction!

CHP91hSWwAIpaVw.png

It's probably the best score of the three, in terms of how it works in the film.

What are your thoughts on The Lone Ranger, TGP? I can't recall if you've talked about it before.

I've only heard a few minutes and thought it seemed like the Zimmer brand I usually don't have much interest in.

The actual Batman material just sort of disappears, which I understand from a narrative perspective, but it makes for a musical disappointment.

What do you mean by this?

It's probably the best score of the three, in terms of how it works in the film.

What are your thoughts on The Lone Ranger, TGP? I can't recall if you've talked about it before.

I've only heard a few minutes and thought it seemed like the Zimmer brand I usually don't have much interest in.

Don't have interest in his Morricone sound?

post-2558-0-77368000-1446387024.gif

Oddly enough, I've never listened to his OST arrangement, but the complete score is an underrated gem. Too long to sit through in one sitting, but really great stuff sprinkled throughout. Unfortunately, not much of it is available on YouTube, but I found this suite that is a fairly good representation of all the thematic ideas.

James Horner - The Rocketeer

I listened to a playlist of unreleased cues ripped from the DVD only (I practically have the OST memorized, so didn't bother with it for this). Great music!! I really really hope Intrada can make an expanded release happen!

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'd say it's the second-best score Hans Zimmer wrote for a Western directed by Gore Verbinski.