What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It's pouring rain here and lots of thunders, and I'm listening to Brokeback mountain promo.

It fits..

Such a relaxing and depressing soundtrack.

I have appreciated it very much after my last viewing of the film.

I love that cue! Reminds me of The March of the Villains from Superman. Actually, Anderton's Great Escape reminds me of another cue from Superman, I think. Chasing Crooks or something.

I never had an issue with anything in that score. I don't know, it just clicked with me!

:music: COMPACT DISC: The Music of Disneyland Walt Disney World and Epcot Center (1987)

51CCoeMDM7L.jpg

That isn't a bootleg, it's the actual cover. I don't know why Disneyland isn't pictured either. Notice how they failed to capitalize EPCOT? This CD predicted lowercase Epcot renaming! It's a great album. Most of the tracks are short excerpts like one or two minutes in length and the sound quality is sometimes shockingly poor, which actually makes it sound cooler! I guess it's *sort of* organized since the first half of the album is music from the Magic Kingdoms and the second half is EPCOT Center. It may be the definitive presentation of the theme park music.

Gremlins (1993 Geffen CD)

Interesting suite presentation of one of Jerry's most manic scores. Did he intend for it to be so short on album or did David Geffen force his hand? Either way it's a great primer on film music for the uninitiated.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (OST Album)

I think I prefer the Prague version of Double Trouble as the OST chorus annoys me. This album loses steam after a really solid first 30 minutes, but it's still a strong score.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (OST Album)

A perfect score and album. It doesn't get any better than this.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban OST

I think I prefer the Prague version of Double Trouble. The OST chorus annoys me.

This album loses steam after a really solid first 30 minutes.

Yeah, it's massively front-loaded.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (OST Album)

I think I prefer the Prague version of Double Trouble as the OST chorus annoys me. This album loses steam after a really solid first 30 minutes, but it's still a strong score.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (OST Album)

A perfect score and album. It doesn't get any better than this.

I dislike the multiple endings of the Prague arrangement. And the screaming at the end stinks.

:music: Star Tracks/Star Tracks II (Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops)

These are great albums. I remember seeing them years ago in the soundtrack/classical sections (remember when they had those in stores?) and dismissing them. What an idiot. I eventually picked up Star Tracks II, specifically because it included music from Space Camp, a score which was impossible to own in those days. Needless to say, after my first listen, I immediately went back for the first album and as many other Telarc Kunzel CDs as I could find. The performances are spectacular. The dynamic range is exceptional. In many cases, the recordings are superior to the Williams versions, such as The Raiders' March and the aforementioned Music From Space Camp.

Star Tracks II, The Big Picture, The Great Fantasy Adventure Album, Round-Up, Symphonic Star Trek. :worship:

I own about 20 of them in total, but these are some of the very best.

Edit:

NP: Not a score, just a selection of cues by Hans Zimmer, from my favorite period of his (the 90s).

Cool Runnings, Thelma & Louise, Drop Zone, Renaissance Man, A League of Their Own, Millennium.

Extremely entertaining. :up:

I'm listening to War Horse and I'm crying my eyes out.

Happens to me from time to time with this score. I have a strong connection to it too. Such lovely music from the Maestro.

:music: Return to Oz by David Shire. I've watched the film for the first time this week and it made me like this score even more. In terms of fairy tale/fantasy film music, this might be among the very finest. It has all the themes and innocence, but sprinkled with a pinch of broodiness and foreboding. A truly underrated gem.

And also Trumbo by Theodore Shapiro. Which sometimes feels very much like old-school David Shire.

Karol

Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

I think those awkward edits in "Desert Chase" actually give it a little more punch. Perfect album.

:pat: The madness, the horror!

Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

I think those awkward edits in "Desert Chase" actually give it a little more punch. Perfect album.

I think it takes away the building tension.

But the rest of the album is probably perfect actually.

When was the term 'micro-edit' popularized? Why not just call it an 'edit'? What the hell is a 'micro-edit'?

I agree it doesn't make much sense, but it's become a frequently used term here.

Yet when we blame Williams for edits, it's more often the 'macroedits' we're referring to, whilst still describing them as 'microedits'.

Have we yet to agree on the spelling? Micro edit? Micro-edit? Microedit?

Speaking of edits, the last OST I listened to AKA Jurassic Park, could use some. It's just too long. It should have been a 40-50 minute album. By the end of "Welcome to Jurassic Park", I'm like, "Well, that was good!" But then it just keeps on going...?

It's the way Williams intended it to be heard.

I'll admit the edited version was the first version of that track I heard, and it still sounded awful, just like the edit in the middle of "Jungle Chase." Never sounded right, even not knowing what went there.