What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Surprise, surpise! I've been listening to the Star Wars trilogy scores this past week. And I did a modest writeup about the themes themes. It wasn't meant to be an academic study of any sort, or a truly uber-complete comprehensive list just some loose observations of my own. It's mostly directed at people who don't know much about film music in general. But there ya go:

http://www.filmsonwax.co.uk/themes-of-star-wars-trilogy/

Karol

Surprise, surpise! I've been listening to the Star Wars trilogy scores this past week. And I did a modest writeup about the themes themes. It wasn't meant to be an academic study of any sort, or a truly uber-complete comprehensive list just some loose observations of my own. It's mostly directed at people who don't know much about film music in general. But there ya go:

Karol

Nicely done Karol! :thumbup:

Karol

Why this week of all weeks? I just don't understand you

Revenge of the Sith (Williams) - Perfection. That is all.

Secrets of Psychopath (Glasgow) - I'll do a write-up of this once I'm out of finals. It just knocked Sponge Out of Water off the top spot for 2015 so far.

James Newton howard - Hunger Games 4: Mockingjay 2

Meh, a lot of empty filler. Some nice action music (Transfer Command. Sewer Attack, Rebels Attack), but even that was totally RCP-ized with only glimmers of Waterworld-esque JNH to be hear under the pounding synths. Oh well.

Mathew Margeson - Scouts' Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse

Meh, completely forgettable

Christophe Beck - The Peanuts Movie

Wow! This was COMPLETELY unexpected - I was expecting this to all go in one ear and out the other, but its actually quite good! Lots of really lovely melodies and orchestration! Neat!

Return to Oz complete score. It really annoys me that several cues seem to be sourced from the film's soundtrack, including sound effects. It's subtle, but they're there. Mombi's Mandolin 2 should never have been sequenced in there. The other one was left at the end as a bonus. They both sound like utter shit and the second one, which is bunched with several other cues, features sound effects. Ugh.

The bootleg has the complete unrevised final battle music in the context of the score. The LLL takes snippets of this as fragments and sticks them at the end as bonus tracks.

It's completely different hearing either version in their intended arrangement.

The bootleg has the complete unrevised final battle music in the context of the score. The LLL takes snippets of this as fragments and sticks them at the end as bonus tracks.

It's completely different hearing either version in their intended arrangement.

Can't you just rearrange the playlist on your computer to have the original versions in the main programme?

It's not that simple. To achieve the same arrangement that the bootleg has, you need some editing skills and tools. Of which I have none. The revised sections are integrated and fused with existing sections. I've analysed it. It's a complex web of different takes and edits.

So why go to all the trouble when it's all been done for me on the bootleg?

I didn't pay good money for the LLL to keep the bootleg taking up hard drive space. It's just not that important of a score.

It's probably my most valued and treasured film score. I have a CD-R of the bootleg, but never came across a pressed copy, if any were made.

To listen to Arnold's original intended final battle cues using only the LLL, this is what you need:

II-1 Just In Case / Attackers Fire Up
II-2 The Launch Tunnel / Mutha Ship [0:00-5:15]
II-17 Virus Uploaded
II-18 The Day We Fight Back
II-19 Jolly Roger

(Technically, you'd need to remove 1:42-2:10 from Attackers Fire Up too, as that was a later-recorded Insert)

Powder, J-Gold.

Lovely and lyrical. The director was a crook, but he wrote a good note in the booklet about Jerry.

One of the more Hornerish themes J-Gold wrote. A tad sugary.

Powder, J-Gold.

Lovely and lyrical. The director was a crook, but he wrote a good note in the booklet about Jerry.

Everywhere, not many composers can write something as devastatingly emotional and powerful as that. One of my favorite cues by the man.

Despite all the despicable things the director did in real life, the movie's a bit of a gem, one that I like to revisit. The last scene has me in tears every time.

Alexandre Desplat - The Danish Girl

Slightly more interesting than Suffragette. Piano parts reminded me of Benjamin Button

Carter Burwell - Carol

I think this was my first ever Carter Burwell score... well, it didn't make a huge impression on me, but it seemed there was a lot of heart put into it. I'd like to see the movie.

I didn't find Steve Jobs to be fun at all! A lot of twinkly plodding and random opera stuff?

It's not for me. I'm glad you enjoy it.

post-3533-0-66657500-1450194960.jpg

AMISTAD - John Williams, Steven Spielberg and team

Reminds me to put this on again. I haven't listened to it in 10 years, says iTunes. If i remember right the dark and somber material was great.