What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I was being partially serious about it. There's a lot of heart to that score. Everyone talks about that "sunset quality" in TFA they love so much (as do I), well Lincoln is oozing in it.

I need more time with TFA to emotionally connect basically, but it is quite a fine score nonetheless.

Ahhh Alice!! Surprisingly it isn't Newman for one who brings you back...

Will we get to hear your thoughts on the film and score?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens OST!

It's amazing!

WHAAAT?!!! :o

You gushing about the new JW score after grumbling about the film for so long. Could it truly be? Are you sure you are not just pretending?

And yes I agree. It is awesome!

Disappointing, but quite good, yes.

Now that is publicist style damning with faint praise. You are getting hang of it.

Well with him being nowhere to be found, someone has to pick up the slack and balance the inflated optimism of the JWFan high!

Well with him being nowhere to be found, someone has to pick up the slack and balance the inflated optimism of the JWFan high!

Hey it is a new Star Wars score and the first new John Williams score in 2 years. Let people gush a bit man!

:music: Rey's Theme (is awesome btw and well developed throughout the film and album).

It was never about the movie. The movie is a means to an end. It was always about the music. I'm an emotional wreck listening to tracks like "The Starkiller" and "Rey's Theme", so I know it turned out for the best.

It was never about the movie. The movie is a means to an end. It was always about the music. I'm an emotional wreck listening to tracks like "The Starkiller" and "Rey's Theme", so I know it turned out for the best.

:thumbup:

"The Starkiller" is beautiful and has modern elegiac Williams written all over it. I don't think SW has ever sounded so personal.

"The Starkiller" is beautiful and has modern elegiac Williams written all over it. I don't think SW has ever sounded so personal.

Also it is has surprising restraint to it. Which made it quite effective in the film. Goes for the opening section of Torn Apart as well.

I look forward to it!

How'd you like the film Inky?

:music: "Farewell and the Trip" - the awesome rendition of the Force theme here is stuck in my head

I look forward to it!

How'd you like the film Inky?

:music: "Farewell and the Trip" - the awesome rendition of the Force theme here is stuck in my head

I liked it quite a bit. I went in with no special expectations and was more thrilled and engrossed than I expected.

I hear actor Sam Waterston does great performances of Lincoln's speeches. You should start with those.

Every track has narration from Daniel Day Lewis on it though!

Then you are listening to the audio track from the film. Turn on the CD!

Ive never heard Lincoln

Me neither. Should I?

Absolutely.

Yes it's John Williams' soulful gentle Americana with reverent bent. Can't go wrong with musical hagiography like that.

Oh I don't believe that, not truly. I love that score. It is musical embodiment of all the sentiments JW feels toward Lincoln.

Hmm, ennobled Americana Williams isn't really my sort of thing. Saving Private Ryan I liked, but that's my limit I reckon. I'll certainly watch the film eventually though, because it's Spielberg and because I heard Daniel didn't play captain hook in it this time.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams

This one is a grower.

Glad you are coming around. :)

If I had to compare it to another franchise film, I'd say it reminds me of Desolation of Smaug's score, which I love. That score, too, seemed somewhat of a letdown after AUJ, filled with mild underscore, but once I spent time with it and began to trace the intellectual development of the themes and narratives, I began to love it more than it's precedent. I don't think I like TFA better than the OT scores, but it's a similar process in my shifting opinion on the score.

To be honest, I'd compare it more to AUJ more than DoS. DoS was fascinating for me personally just because there was so much that Shore was bringing newly to the Middle-Earth table, and that may have been what turned so many people off to it at first.

TFA is more safe, like AUJ. Williams wasn't trying to reinvent the SW vocabulary like he tried to do with TPM. I don't think he was even especially keen on writing "SW music". He was just writing what he would normally write for the genre of today, and in a way it makes parts of this score rather personal, which is what I'm starting to dig about it. Cues like "Rey's Theme" or "The Starkiller" shine in that regard.

Maybe. I don't know, I find some of orchestral colouring choices in AotC and especially RotS more daring for the SW universe.

TFA features a more matured Williams, but still one that is writing music we are all familiar and comfortable with. There's nothing especially radical being done here, not that that's necessary at all. And I think he decided he didn't need to come up with any showstoppers a la "Duel of the Fates" or "Across the Stars" this time because he could rely on the old themes more with this film (and I'm guessing this is what J.J./producers/whoever wanted as well). So this gave him room to just write the kind of music he was comfortable writing. Which is why you get less super-memorable themes, because he doesn't really write that kind of music anymore.