What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I adore the suite on the London sessions cd, but' I've heard that it contains the best parts of the score anyway. Anyone agrees with that statement? I'm still undecided if I should buy the cd

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I adore the suite on the London sessions cd, but' I've heard that it contains the best parts of the score anyway. Anyone agrees with that statement? I'm still undecided if I should buy the cd

Get the CD. As publicist said, Mr. Dark's theme does not emerge in the London sessions. And there's a hauntingly beautiful music box motif as well.

Me too!

Star Trek: Nemesis complete score

Star Trek: Generations complete score

Star Trek: First Contact complete score

Godzilla (1998) complete score

Batman (1989) Prince OST

Batman (1989) complete score

Batman Returns complete score

Casper OST

Live binaural ASMR recordings of The Haunted Mansion and the Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland

Batman Vs. Superman - Hans Zimmer
Edge of Darkness - Howard Shore
Jaws
Jaws 2
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars (1977)
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Something Wicked This Way Comes - James Horner

After listening to Delerue's unused score, I decided to revisit Horner's replacement again. The album arrangement is far too short, and I wished Horner had compiled a longer version for Intrada or let them do it. The arrangement works beautifully as a listening experience (several tracks are arranged purposefully out of order), but as a full representation of the film, it's lacking. It begs for a C&C arrangement that the Delerue version enjoyed. Maybe with Horner's passing, Intrada will do a repressing of this album with more tracks?

That said, Horner's score is still quite nice, and thanks to Simon Rhodes, sounds like it was recorded yesterday. It is more outward emotionally, and his motif representing the young friendship is absolutely beautiful. I can't choose between Delerue's motif or Horner's, they're that good. I do prefer Delerue's shorter and more ominous Dark motif over Horner's, as well as the calliope source tracks.

:music: First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith. Not my favourite score but I always admired how timeless it feels. It would work great in an old 1960's Hollywood epic, was great in the 1990's... and would have been completely valid in a 2016 film.

Karol

The Secret of NIMH by Jerry Goldsmith: This is a top rate animation score to be sure but even after a number of listens I don't find myself giving it unequivocal top marks overall. Some magic is oddly missing in this score for me.

Looking for Richard by Howard Shore

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

Jaws by John Williams

The Patriot by John Williams

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt by Marcin Przybyłowicz, Mikolai Stroinski and Percival

Star Wars The Force Awakens OST. Outside of a small handful of really brilliant tracks this is an underwhelming missed opportunity of an album. It's loaded with easily skippable cues, which is not the sign of a great JW OST. 

*BADLY* needs a greatly expanded/unreleased edition to do what was probably a very fine Star Wars score full justice.  

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Can't get enough

Craig Safan - The Last Starfighter (Intrada)

Love it

James Horner - Star Trek 2 (FSM)

Love it, really want that final cue without narration.  I always skip the Huxley track too

Yea, agree, the Huxley source cue belongs as a bonus track, not in the main flow.

Yea, its great otherwise.  I really love that "Enterprise Attacks Reliant" track that wasn't on the OST, its a killer action cue

Absolutely agree with you.  it's a fantastic album.  Love Surprise Attack coming right after the main title.  The whole program flows immaculately.

Yep, in the film the first part is very sparsely scored, but the OST really drops you right into the good stuff.

Also always loved that wonderful trio Enterprise Clears Mooring, Battle In The Mutara Nebula and Genesis Countdown.

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Deluxe Edition)

Love it!

Mark Mancina - Speed 2: Cruise Control (Expanded edit)

Love it!  Gieger's Escape = one of the best action cues of the 90s!

:music: The Huntsman: Winter's War by James Newton Howard. About halfway through the album and I still can't quite get into it. It's all supposedly well produced and decently composed. But I can't hear a single memorable idea. Not even a theme, just... anything. Well, maybe one half-decent theme. Does it get better? Or was Maleficent (or most of Maleficent anyway) an anomaly in modern JNH's career?

Karol

9 hours ago, Faleel said:

Edge of Darkness - Howard Shore

Shore really hit a homerun with that one.  I mean it runs the gamut from beautifully emotional to menacing, from peaceful to heart-pounding.  It's really everything a thriller score should be.

After I listen to this one enough to be familiar with it, I am going to check out Corigliano's score.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock complete score

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection disc 4

Star Trek: First Contact complete score

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country OST

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Huntsman: Winter's War by James Newton Howard. About halfway through the album and I still can't quite get into it. It's all supposedly well produced and decently composed. But I can't hear a single memorable idea. Not even a theme, just... anything. Well, maybe one half-decent theme. Does it get better? Or was Maleficent (or most of Maleficent anyway) an anomaly in modern JNH's career?

Karol

I would go so far and say the theme is one of his best of the last 10 or so years. I posted a playlist that did omit half of the cues and i find that pretty satisfying - 'Maleficent' also had kinda boring cues. This is a bit less showy due to the different nature of the movie but i think that it would be a great disservice to this score to immediately file it under disappointment. I guarantee it will have more staying power than some of the more obvious best of-choices.

Hurry Sundown - Hugo Montenegro

I did prepare myself for the new Intrada edition of this outrageously entertaining 1967 score for a boring Preminger roadshow picture about race problems south of the Mason Dixon line. Hugo Montenegro was a brilliant arranger but this (and 'The Undefeated') proves he could write damn catchy scores, too. This is just like on of those old Quincy Jones orchestra meets blues and gospel funk scores and for anyone into this stuff it should be a bag of fun.

Memoirs of a Geisha :music:

The best of Williams' 2005 scores on an artistic level but it doesn't do much for me emotionally.  In that regard, I prefer ROTS and Munich.  

"Logan's Run".

This is a brilliant example of how a complete score can augment, enhance, and elevate whatever was available before. I was famililar with the released score from 1976, but this adds so much emotion, and punch to the already released music, that it almost turns into a whole other score. JG at his very, very mid 70s best!

As an encore, I popped-on "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" (complete). There is nothing that I can say about this score, that hasn't been said, many times over, except perhaps that, if "ST:TMP" had done the sort or business that "CE3K", or "Star Wars", or "Superman" had, then this score would be all over the airwaves, to this day.

As it is, I will add this: "ST:TMP" is the single finest achievement in the history of motion picture scoring. Discuss.

Empire Strikes Back. I don't really like the Star Wars music in general, but I love its themes. Just can't get enough of the End Credits right now and how JW turns the Death Star Theme (or whatever) in major, on woodwinds and mixes it with Yoda's theme. Gorgeous.

I'm not after epicness, but emotion never hurts. I just don't like this kind of dissonant music, just as I absolutely hate people like Stravinsky whose only purposes was doing what no one else did. To each his own. Listen to his Rites of Spring and tell me whether suicide crossed your mind.