What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Did you listen to TGTR in 5.1 SACD, or in stereo?

The Intrada release, so in stereo.

Danny Elfman - Wanted

I re-discovered this score last year due to the complete score leak and fell in love with it.  Hadn't listened to the OST since and checked it out today on Spotify and.. it's pretty bad!  All the best stuff was part of the later recording sessions that took place after the OST was locked, apparently.  And its organized in a weird order.  Plus, Spotify didn't let me play the song, which is a huge bummer cause I love it.  Oh well.

Danny Elfman - Hitchcock

Another old favorite, though admittedly it hasn't stood the test of time as well as I'd hoped.  Apart from the opening and ending, there really isn't much memorable about the middle.

Danny Elfman - Alice in Wonderland

Other than the great Alice Theme tracks and a few other highlights, alot of this OST goes in one ear and out the other.  The sequel score is a huge improvement!

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

The Ten Commandments-Elmer Bernstein 

Great score. I've only listened to it once, but I can't get that main theme out of my head. 

I think Elmer Bernstein replaced Victor Young who was unavailable or something. I am glad for the change because Bernstein wrote a score both powerful and lush. People usually look to Miklos Rosza's music from Ben Hur as the quintessential 1950s epic score, but I think Bernstein holds his own.

Alas the song ruined some of the score's appeal to me. I know the music has a lot more to offer but I just can't shake that deep rooted distate for My Heart Will Go On which sours Horner's otherwise fine effort.

The Light Between Oceans - Alexandre Desplat

Idiomatically within the very expected parameters of Desplat's patented Oscar baittm style - gentle minimalist waltzes between string section and piano, dirge-like soliloquies, solemn mood tableaus - this one makes a rather good figure. He has the required elegant sheen down pat and 'Oceans' rises above depressingly monochrome recent efforts like 'The Danish Girl' or 'Suffragete'.

Still it begs the question if more assignment swapping is in order, with talented colleagues seldomly exposed to heavy drama getting gigs like this leaving Desplat free for musically more adventurous opportunities he could tackle with ease, as we know (or maybe fails miserably, JWFan will decide in some time). As it stands now, he is in his late Delerue phase of polishing the same old silverware every few months which isn't a bad thing but now akin to getting a very expensive caffeine-free mocca every morning - it tastes OK and is good for your heart rate but not exactly beckoning with excitement.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Alas the song ruined some of the score's appeal to me. I know the music has a lot more to offer but I just can't shake that deep rooted distate for My Heart Will Go On which sours Horner's otherwise fine effort.

Same 'ere really. The action and suspense material I still enjoy, but the played-out and sickly main theme puts me off a good deal of the score. 

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Se7en by Howard Shore.

Karol

And? Is it bowed cymbal-y enough?

It makes for a terrific listen while enjoying sunny weather! ;)

I enjoy it quite a bit. It is obviously very oppressive and not quite cheerful, aside from the unused opening track (which is very surprising). It's almost as if Shore's music wasn't so much about John Doe and his murders but instead formed a steady dark heartbeat for this gloomy and grimy city in which the story takes place in. And it makes sense, the film's sound design and this score work great in tandem --- and almost gives you an illusion that this place is actually alive and ready to devour its inhabitants (which it does). 

Karol

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's brilliant!

I have to admit that version with Dion's vocals is not very pleasant for me to listen to.

But Horner's piano version breaks my heart every fucking time.  Brilliant. 

James Horner - Aliens

Ah, like a visit from an old friend.  Always reliable when I've listened to a bunch of stuff that didn't quite do it for me.  I love every thing about every second of this score, and my only complaint is that it isn't longer!  There's 11 minutes worth of footage in the film that has music under it that Horner never composed for, and how I wish he had stuck around and written more for this film instead of leaving to move onto his next project.  Maybe in another dimension

Jerry Goldsmith - Alien

Was in the mood for this after Aliens for some reason.  I like how James took some of the textures and concepts from this and worked them into Aliens in a few spots.  Also, for some reason my ipod wouldn't play the Intrada edition I had on it, so I had to play the OST on Spotify.  I think I'd only heard the OST program a couple times before... it's actually a decently arranged summary of the score.  You don't miss out on a lot of stuff by listening to this instead of the complete score on the Intrada.

I finally loaded Judge Dredd on my iPod. Very good, I've liked listening to it at the gym. I tell myself the main theme is Silvestri's way of musically stating Stallone's iconic "I am... The law" all over the place. 

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Same 'ere really. The action and suspense material I still enjoy, but the played-out and sickly main theme puts me off a good deal of the score. 

I actually prefer the film version of "My Heart Will Go On" over the vastly overplayed radio version. It fits the film better.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

A masterpiece of texture, mood, atmosphere and building to a moment (something that rarely happens anymore in big budget film music)

There are also a few good hummable tunes in there.

Minority Report by John Williams

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith

On 9/3/2016 at 2:17 PM, Fennel Ka said:

and one of the best scores of all time, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Paul J. Smith

Brilliant!

I've a whale of a tale to tell ya, this score is amazing! It's all true!

Seven by Howard Shore. Isn't John Doe just about one of the coolest pieces pieces of action music in Shore's career? Only he could possibly write something like this ----- scary, oppressive, slow moving... and yet exciting.

Next: John Corigliano's Edge of Darkness, Michael Kamen's Dead Zone and David Shire's Zodiac

Karol

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He must have been smoking some good stuff in those days!

yeah seriously. Some of his comedy scores are absolutely bizarre. A prime example: 

On 9/1/2016 at 10:21 AM, Jay said:

Laurent Perez Del Mar - Wolfy: The Incredible Secret (Loulou, l'incroyable secret)

This is excellent! thanks for turning me on to this, jay

Just finished listening to Mark Russell's television score to Kingdom. For some reason they didn't hesitate to include the main theme no less than FOUR times in the forty-minute compilation! But it's so beautiful I don't even mind.

I'm listening to the original FOTR album for the first time in years.  I'll revisit the next two as well during the week.

I've also been enchanted by this lately.  It's a gorgeous piece.  At 4:57, I start to get very moved.  There's a stirring energy and sense of impending adventure here, as if Shore's been waiting his whole career to write music of this kind of scale and optimism, and that he's overjoyed to be doing it for a series of films like this.  A ridiculous reading-into of things on my part?  Maybe.

I know that my grandfather was active as a musician in Italy around the same time that Ennio would have been making his start.  According to family members, it's at least somewhat possible that they could have crossed paths in one way or another.  I'd like to imagine them tripping together.