What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 10/10/2016 at 6:36 AM, Incanus said:

Hellboy (Varese release) by Marco Beltrami: Definitely among Beltrami's very best music,this score is a fun musical comic book hero romp from start to finish with nice gothic Lovecraftian horror vibes to it. The score is chock-full of themes and Beltrami does a good job integrating all of them throughout in interesting ways. There has been a chronological boot floating around for years but it is great to finally get this score officially in complete form and in good sound quality.

43 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Hellboy (Deluxe Edition) by Marco Beltrami

You like HELLBOY, don't you? :)

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

You like HELLBOY, don't you? :)

It's a recent release I just received last week so it has gotten quite a few listens yes. And I think it is among Beltrami's finest. :)

:music:Monsignor by John Williams: This album is excellent.

1941 by John Williams: This too is such a zany fun experience that it always puts me in a better mood. Although the march is the most famous piece from the film, the score is brimming with themes and motifs and really energetic and fun musical sequences and gags. The La-La Land release is simply a masterful presentation of this music.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

To me it's the spiritual cousin of Temple Of Doom. Both have a completely over the top vibe that never fails to excite.

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing while listening to it today. :)

Hmm I haven't listened to this in years...

:music: The Pagemaster. Another feel-good Horner. It's one of those full scores that feels like a coherent concert work almost.

Karol

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

1941 by John Williams: This too is such a zany fun experience that it always puts me in a better mood. Although the march is the most famous piece from the film, the score is brimming with themes and motifs and really energetic and fun musical sequences and gags. The La-La Land release is simply a masterful presentation of this music.

My band played Swing, Swing, Swing in marching band when I was a freshman, so that song will always have a special place in my heart.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Superman: The Movie. Blue Box version sounds awesome. Rhino was already very good but this is perfection.

Karol

Agreed. When the high strings come in, at the beginning of THE PLANET KRYPTON... aaah! :)

Sat down with Charlie Brigden to chat a little about some new scores from big guns: The Girl on the Train (Elfman), American Pastoral (Desplat), Denial (Howard Shore), Inferno (Hans Zimmer) and The Magnificent Seven (Horner/Franglen):

Karol

Assassin's Creed Syndicate by Austin Wintory: Another one of those scores that stay in steady rotation. Wintory's music defies expectations and succeeds in creating a veritable world of its own. It's elegant, classically tinged, performed by a chamber sized (mostly strings, percussion and woodwinds with odd brass instrument occasionally thrown into the mix) ensemble of great musicians and takes the music of the period as its starting point and takes it from there.

The lean orchestral sound was entirely deliberate, the dance-like grace of assassins in the game Wintory's inspiration and the score is full of salon-worthy murderous ballets with apt names like Danza Alla Daggers, The Assassin Two-Step, A Ballet of Blades and Waltzing on Rooftops and Cobblestones. All is anchored in typical Wintory style in a simple yet effective main theme which goes through a good bit of manipulation, retaining fragile poignancy throughout, a surprisingly intimate musical centre for so violent a subject.

The original thematic material is supplemented by quotations from traditional hymns, literary allusions to Purcell's Dido and Aeneas through the use of its libretto for selected passages fitting the storyline. More over an eclectic series of bar/vaudeville songs full of acerbic wit make it a very varied but coherent listening experience. As I said, it is a well-conceived musical world, which in Wintory's case comes as no surprise.

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

Easily my most listened-to CD of the year!  Especially love "Sleight Of Hand", great track (for by far the stupidest scene in the stupid movie)

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

The 2CD version is much better than the old 1CD!  Love this score!

Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu, and Noriko Matsueda - Chrono Trigger

Love this too!

Oh without a doubt. Though it's not that old, it's a product of another time. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Stanley & Iris by John Williams: A nice small scale dramatic score from the Maestro in the gentle and muted pastoral Americana mode from his late 80's/early 90's branching out period, when he was clearly seeking a way out of being typecasted as "Mr. Sturm und Drang" after such success with big blockbuster franchises. The composer of course, rather than doing outlandish experiments with what he calls "synthesized sound sources" or going entirely avant garde, would continue to employ mostly symphonic palette but often in smaller scale.

Flute, piano and trumpet are offered solo parts among the chamber-sized ensemble consisting of mostly strings and woodwinds which lends a suitably intimate feel to this short but sweet album. Williams crafts a couple of earthy and unassuming main melodies that intertwine during the score and there is mostly a warm sunny vernal sheen to the whole affair with occasional more dramatic gesture but this score stays mostly lyrical and on the quiet side. It is a smaller effort from the composer sure, but it makes for a nice relaxing listening experience with a terrific Williams-esque End Title that sums up the whole thing rather perfectly.

To honour Shore's birthday:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Se7en

The Cell

The Fly

:music: Ruin and Memory

Karol

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I dug out Dogma, which I hadn't listened to in years. Great fun!

Those Rivendell arpeggios are something aren't they? ;)

And Mooby the Golden Calf. A classic!

There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope, as I have been told by the first impressions of Dr. Strange.

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams