What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'm back! Ciao Turks!

L’image contient peut-être : ciel, piscine, plein air et nature

Of course I listened some John Williams during my vacations, mostly playlists.

And this soundtrack on the place while coming back: Michael Giacchino - Up

Travel Playlist

All the best

:music: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Listening to the 1998 Arista album as well as Charles Gerhardt's recording of the long suite. This score, or at least some really chunks of it, might be John Williams' single greatest achievement - as a contribution to the film as well as pure music.

Karol

The Gerhardt suite is still my go-to when I want to listen to Close Encounters.  Brilliant arrangement and performance.  That specific arrangement has never been recorded elsewhere, right?.  There seems to be so many different concert arrangements.  The Gerhardt is different from the Mehta is different from the Pops in Space is different from the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration versions.  Never really sat down and mapped out the specific differences.

I collected some of the best re-recordings available on Spotify. It makes a great playlist!

A tribute to John Williams: Six decades of music

Been checking out Danny Elfman's Alice music.

That main theme IS amazing. It really, truly is.

But I'll confess...I think Dan's consistently wonderful at main themes. But when those themes aren't on and it's just the rest of the score, my ears tend to lose interest pretty quickly. I don't know what it is. His action music especially just doesn't get my heart pumping. The music just meanders around until it's time to express a main theme again. 

That is to say, I love the main themes to Mars Attacks, Beetlejuice, certain cues in Edward Scissorhands ("Ice Dance" and "Grand Finale" mainly), Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Batman, etc. But after the main/opening themes, I don't remember a note of what follows. 

If anything, I tend to find the "Efman ripoff" works from other composers to be more captivating (like James Newton Howard's fantasy works). 

As an aside though, I want to give Black Beauty a try!

40 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I collected some of the best re-recordings available on Spotify. It makes a great playlist!

A tribute to John Williams: Six decades of music

Nothing from IMAGES?

Disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Nothing from IMAGES?

Disappointed.

Richard, strangely... I repeat... strangely... nobody (that I'm aware of) ever re-recorded a track from it... since 40 years. ;)

Jerry Goldsmith's The Swarm

Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire -Imperial City and Destruction of Xizor's Palace are favourites, the latter for the frantic Imperial theme towards the end and the former for conjuring an image of Coruscant. Otherwise been a while and largely after knackering my Revenge of the Sith tracks. 

Stanley & Iris (Deluxe Edition) by John Williams: A lovely score to listen to on your way to work on a sunny spring morning. :)

13 hours ago, Strangways said:

Jerry Goldsmith's The Swarm

Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire -Imperial City and Destruction of Xizor's Palace are favourites, the latter for the frantic Imperial theme towards the end and the former for conjuring an image of Coruscant. Otherwise been a while and largely after knackering my Revenge of the Sith tracks. 

I enjoy this disc very much. But it feels nothing like Star Wars. Not sure whether that is a good thing or not.

Karol

I should listen to more Goldenthal.

Collins feels particularly short though. Funny because the film feels so long. 

Total Recall (Quartet) by Jerry Goldsmith: This is some kickass action music!

Jaws 2 (Intrada) by John Williams: Another one of those great sequel scores that retains some of the original's charm but the composer happily goes to a new direction with the music rather than doing a retread of the first one. Some terrific pages in this one Johnny angel baby!

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Titanic

Far and Away

I don't hear any similarity whatsoever between these two scores.

It's Enya's bloody Book of Days which sounds like the obvious temp-track for the setting sail scenes in Titanic.

The Sons of Katie Elder - Elmer Bernstein

A fun, well-done but inessential score for a fun but inessential latter-day John Wayne film.  Bernstein is always excellent in his Western mode, although the main theme could also have been called "Variations on Magnificent Seven."

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

If I had to live in a world where every Horner score was being thrown into a fiery pit and I could only rescue one from destruction, it'd be Land Before Time. 

An American Tail is better.

While I prepare a C&C playlist combining tracks from the 96 SE and 2002 20th album, I listen to the audio of this:

E.T. (John Williams performs the "E.T." score live with the film at the Shrine Auditorium 2002 Premiere)

p_2002ET.jpg

8 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

If I had to live in a world where every Horner score was being thrown into a fiery pit and I could only rescue one from destruction, it'd be Land Before Time. 

You've obviously never heard BRAINSTORM ;)

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard: Howard's lyrical atmospheric and at times slightly Japanese tinged music creates truly a singular dream-like moodscape without often rising above a gentle orchestral whisper. Sparingly used choral voices (apart from the dramatic elegy of The Evacuation and the soaring paean of Tarawa), solo cello, shakuhachi, Japanese drums and exotic metallic percussion sounds (later used by Howard with distinction for Atlantis and The Last Airbender) all contribute to a mesmerizing fragile atmosphere that alternates between completely ambient and quiet heart tugging melodicism with several thematic ideas wafting in and out of the fabric of the score subtly but continually and effectively. Truly one of JNH's finest.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Sons of Katie Elder - Elmer Bernstein

A fun, well-done but inessential score for a fun but inessential latter-day John Wayne film.  Bernstein is always excellent in his Western mode, although the main theme could also have been called "Variations on Magnificent Seven."

An American Tail is better.

I can tell we've got an awful lot in common, even our tastes in music are as different can be!

We don't even have to try to see things eye to eye, it just comes to us naturally!

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I can tell we've got an awful lot in common, even our tastes in music are as different can be!

We don't even have to try to see things eye to eye, it just comes to us naturally!

Dom DeLuise's greatest performance!  Well, that and Twelve Chairs.

Just now, nightscape94 said:

And every Mel Brooks movie he was in!

Of which Twelve Chairs is the best!  It really is the most underrated/underseen Brooks film.

On 12/05/2017 at 9:21 AM, Bespin said:

While I prepare a C&C playlist combining tracks from the 96 SE and 2002 20th album, I listen to the audio of this:

E.T. (John Williams performs the "E.T." score live with the film at the Shrine Auditorium 2002 Premiere)

p_2002ET.jpg

I cried and I laughted at the right places, just listening to the audio.

E.T. and me :lovethis: