What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

First Giacchino and now Desplat! Oh how wrong the prophesies have been read! I am sure third time is the charm and Mica Levi will be the Chosen One!

I realize this is a joke, but Gia and Desplat are both in love with traditional orchestral scores.  Levi is an avant-garde outsider artist.

The Golden Compass by Alexander Desplat: Now we are talking! A very well-rounded fantasy adventure score with wonderfully intricate thematic structure which took some time for me to explore in full but now it is one of my favourite Desplat scores. There are several sequences I love but the almost Goldsmithian rhythmic stuff for the Gypsians is both evocative and memorable as is the icy and ferocious music for the encounters with the polar bears.

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I realize this is a joke, but Gia and Desplat are both in love with traditional orchestral scores.  Levi is an avant-garde outsider artist.

I really liked Jackie!

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Golden Compass by Alexander Desplat: Now we are talking!

Sadly, me reaction to this is the same you and others have had towards Valerian (which I haven't heard yet), no matter how often I try it. Probably the main reason why I thought Desplat uninteresting for a long time, until I heard The Grand Budapest Hotel (and a bit later was exposed to much more of his stuff when he was the Hollywood in Vienna guest of honour).

Good 'ole Alfie Newman and another of his old testament scores for an unlikely Gregory Peck dressed up in biblical garments lusting after Susan Hayward. Not as distinctive as 'The Robe' but what's surprising is how many colors and motifs seem to have wandered right out of 'Star Wars' ('Night Battle' might have been the blueprint for ESB's 'Carbon Freeze', the last minute of 'The Battle of Gilboa' reminds of the later cloud city music, the main theme has a 'Dracula' vibe in its first two phrases).

It is also mainly lyrical, solemn and stately, in line with 'Quo Vadis', barring the tumultuous orchestral spectacle that often grates on modern ears. Sound is in stereo and surprisingly good, too.

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sadly, me reaction to this is the same you and others have had towards Valerian (which I haven't heard yet), no matter how often I try it. Probably the main reason why I thought Desplat uninteresting for a long time, until I heard The Grand Budapest Hotel (and a bit later was exposed to much more of his stuff when he was the Hollywood in Vienna guest of honour).

The Grand Budapest Hotel is again another one I have hard time connecting with or claiming it to be as masterful as some have here raved it to be. The Wes Anderson quirkiness translated into music seems to be a hit-and-miss with me.

Obsession (Tadlow re-recording) by Bernard Herrmann: It took me surprisingly long to get into this one but it has steadily risen among my favourite Herrmann scores. The man had such an ability to strike into the psyche of the film and the listener. While beautiful there is always that disturbing ghostly unease in this music that is emblematic to some of his best works.

Krull by James Horner: Big, bold, brassy and fun fantasy romp that might leave you a bit breathless but it is among Horner's finest if for nothing else than for the brilliant high energy and colour the music constantly has.

Have you ever seen Obsession @Incanus? I've just watched it for the first time the other week. The score is extremely overpowering, almost to a fault, but Herrmann gives De Palma his operatic beauty and otherworldly quality. Powerful.

:music: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It's been too long.

Karol

In honour of one of the once hardest-to-get soundtracks ever i play 'Streaming Link' today. For all its bad press, it remains a wonderfully curious anomaly in the Goldsmith oeuvre (think 'Gremlins' meeting old Genesis albums, it's so full of electronic Simmons drums, with a dash of 'Legend'). While it may not quite reach out to the film music=epic choruses crowd there is a mischievous evil clown-sense of fun playing through it that gets to boil in 'Angry Link', probably the most memorable cue. 

SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

A History of Violence by Howard Shore

X-Men-The Last Stand by John Powell

Arsène Lupin by Debbie Wiseman

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I love, and I mean really love, this score!!

Pub, what "old Genesis albums" are you referring to?

Collins didn't use an electronic kit until GENESIS. Do you mean something earlier, something "baroque 'n' roll"?

i. e. 

On 27.8.2017 at 1:55 PM, crocodile said:

Have you ever seen Obsession @Incanus? I've just watched it for the first time the other week. The score is extremely overpowering, almost to a fault, but Herrmann gives De Palma his operatic beauty and otherworldly quality. Powerful.

:music: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It's been too long.

Karol

I haven't seen the film but I always assumed the score was highly featured in the film. You know, because of Herrmann. ;)

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

THE TERMINAL before  ROTS?!

(hangs head in shame) and he came so highly recommended :(

In chronology of the releases, yes. Which is how he arranges his albums. *shudder*

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

In chronology of the releases, yes. Which is how he arranges his albums. *shudder*

What's wrong with chronological?  I arrange all my albums, digital and physical, alpha by artist and chrono within artist.  It makes the most sense to me.

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What's wrong with chronological?  I arrange all my albums, digital and physical, alpha by artist and chrono within artist.  It makes the most sense to me.

Chronological: it's the only way to fly.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

As a librarian I firmly believe in alphabetical order of things. Not that I don't remember which year each of Williams' albums was released but I do prefer to find Jaws in the J section of my Williams collection and not somewhere in 1975. This goes for physical and digital material.

It helps me visualize the narrative progression of an artist's career.  I'll admit this started with my pop music collection way way back when I was 13 or something.  Something very satisfying about seeing the original discography of The Beatles or Led Zeppelin arranged in chronological order.  The discographies of film composers, especially one as oft-recorded and released as Williams, is definitely more complicated to arrange like this.

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

As a librarian I firmly believe in alphabetical order of things. Not that I don't remember which year each of Williams' albums was released but I do prefer to find Jaws in the J section of my Williams collection and not somewhere in 1975. This goes for physical and digital material.

For someone as intelligent as you, it is a very idiotic way to look at things.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

THE TERMINAL before  ROTS?!

(hangs head in shame) and he came so highly recommended :(

I think when I take a CD to make a picture of it, I don't always put it back in the right place ooops.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

For someone as intelligent as you, it is a very idiotic way to look at things.

And I think you are adorable too BB!

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

You have composers arranging your albums in chronological order? Dude, I knew you had connections but this is crazy... ;)

:music: I am the Senate

Karol

I employ composers who employ orchestrators to catalogue my collection. I call them ghost arrangers.

:music: The Ghost Writer

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It helps me visualize the narrative progression of an artist's career.  I'll admit this started with my pop music collection way way back when I was 13 or something.  Something very satisfying about seeing the original discography of The Beatles or Led Zeppelin arranged in chronological order.  The discographies of film composers, especially one as oft-recorded and released as Williams, is definitely more complicated to arrange like this.

I do this in the form of iTunes playlists, but on my shelf, alphabetical is the only way to go. 

First Blood, Boys from Brazil and the Swarm -Jerry Goldsmith

John Cacavas' Airport 1975.

and latterly, Frank DeVol's Flight of the Phoenix. Quite like the theme -largely as I liked the stop-start way the title sequence/crash landing was done on screen in time to the music more or less and I'm a sort of fan of DeVol via Dirty Dozen and long time viewings of Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. Except, listening to the score in isolation some of it feels like it's aping Lawrence of Arabia's score. Or maybe every film set in a desert has the same sound. And I quite like the film -the cast certainly helps.

My JW CDs are organized this way:

- All the scores in chronological order of the movie release (it means that all the reissues of a same score appears together);

- then all the others original albums, solo and collabos in chrono order

- then the compilations in chrono order.

Ok So I was right, feeeew!

You know, do like me and check this MARVELLOUS website about the discography of John Williams.

It's very well done! :P

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

Missouri Breaks by John Williams: I love the very small scale gritty feeling of the film recording. Also the 1970's slightly off-kilter experimental vibe for the music of Marlon Brando is great, the ghostly moaning effects of the woodwinds(?) and the odd clickety-clack wood percussion and that unnerving calm harpsichord.

King Kong by James Newton Howard: Formulaic but quite excellent especially considering the whole 3 hour score was churned out in just a month. Surprisingly I gravitate toward the Kong/Anne theme the most but the action isn't too shabby either.

Cutthroat Island by John Debney: Just the final battle sequence on my way to work this morning. Woke me up.

Brazil - Michael Kamen

Was recently reminded of how much I love this score (and film, obviously).

This cue has my personal favorite of Kamen's many adaptations of the "Brazil" song in the score

Seems I haven't posted in this thread in a while.  Catching up on the last 2 weeks:

Don Davis - Tokyo Ghoul

Meh, I was expecting more from this.  Made almost no impact on me though, sadly.

John Williams - A.I. Artificial Intelligance (LLL Complete)

Love this score more every time I hear it.  A masterpiece!

Alexander Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I still like this score, but the OST is a bit long and I lost interest somewhat.  A 40 minute program of highlights would probably be ideal for this one

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Still unapologetically my favorite score of the summer!

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada Complete)

Such a wonderful score, a perfect blend of action and heart.