What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Rosewood [Music From The Motion Picture] (1997) (2013, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1244; Caesar, Parks, Morgan, Williams)

p_lllcd1244.jpg

CD 1 - THE INSTRUMENTAL SCORE

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jaws (Intrada) 

The old Universal release from the 2000's is not a good album.

Revisionist history.

Casper. Fantastic score. Absolutely fantastic.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Expanded edit) by John Williams

The Lost World Jurassic Park (LLL set) by John Williams

Hellboy (Varese Deluxe Eidtion) by Marco Beltrami

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

"The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus CONDUCTED BY NIC RAINE" was for years a CD text that would strike fear into my heart. 

Yet they have really become a very adept film score re-recording orchestra. The Prometheus Records produced and Tadlow's Fitzpatrick projects have all been pretty much top notch. Their compilation work has been, shall we say, of varied quality.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Yet they have really become a very adept film score re-recording orchestra. The Prometheus Records produced and Tadlow's Fitzpatrick projects have all been pretty much top notch. Their compilation work has been, shall we say, of varied quality.

This is true. But I can never forget! 

I know it's hard, Lee, but you have to try. Damn you, sir, you will try!

For all our sakes. For the love of everything that is holy, and sacred, and profound! Do it for JWfan. Please, Lee. Please try! The thought of losing you, over this, is unbearable.

So I was listening to Roland Emmerich's commentary on Independence Day Resurgence, and he came out with a whopper in this track. Justin will love this.

Just after Whitmore dies, a mournful piece from Arnold's score shows up, and Emmerich starts raving on about how great a composer Harald Kloser is for coming up with that. I kid you not, he essentially credited aloud Kloser for Arnold's work. I just couldn't believe it!

16 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Just after Whitmore dies, a mournful piece from Arnold's score shows up, and Emmerich starts raving on about how great a composer Harald Kloser is for coming up with that. I kid you not, he essentially credited aloud Kloser for Arnold's work. I just couldn't believe it!

That is hilarious!

Chekmate, I love this score!

Make sure you listen to the superb HD transfers done by Fresh Sound Records!

Checkmate/Hong Kong (2015, Fresh Sound Records, JM 1007, Compilation)

"Checkmate": Music composed and conducted by Johnny Williams.

L’image contient peut-être : 3 personnes, personnes souriantes

Really good score score, which took me forever to really appreciate. Of course Elfman using a wailing woman might seem odd, but his dramatic and musical instincts really help sell the music quite well. Love the music plays during Bruce's flashbacks. 

I'm listening to the expanded FYC version of The Force Awakens on my new Sennheiser HD 558's because I know it's such a great recording. Sounds awesome on these mother fuckers.

Courage Under Fire - James Horner

While it would take a considerable amount of cringing to call this score a neglected gem - indeed the score proper is rather boring - there are defining Horner moments in there, mostly in the material expanded from some of the score's key patriotic ideas. First a word on the movie: it's typical Edward Zwick jingoism, meaning polished military adulation that strangles any deeper examination of the topic at hand (a mutiny among soldiers during a chaotic Gulf war battle) for another american war hero memorial in movie form dressed up as a thriller, Rashomon style. Horner, probably somewhat derisively, saw the plot for what it was and responded with barely acknowledging the suspense elements (lame leftovers from all the usual suspects of this period) but really pumped up the swelling americana salutes - the more concertant tone making this a less showy but probably musical better entry than some of the bigger hits of the era.

So while hardly anyone remembers movie or score, the main pieces, 'Hymn', 'Courage Under Fire', 'Elegy' (all stand-alone pieces) and the 15-minute whale of a finale (brace yourself for this if-not-self-explanatory title 'The Medal of Honor/A Final Resting Place'), in part were inspiration for Williams' 'Saving Private Ryan' - to an irritating degree, if you ask me - and if you can stomach such heart-on-its-sleeve patriotism they are rather good. 

The album is interrupted by expendable film pieces and sadly not available as digital download, which would spare you the necessity of getting stuff that really no one needs (the material is weak and - you guessed it - reminiscent of virtually hundreds of other Horner cues) but if you don't have this and one of the aforementioned cues suddenly pops up on some playlist, it's one those where you might think 'why don't i have this?'. So: recommended in parts.

On 02/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, Bespin said:

Chekmate, I love this score!

Make sure you listen to the superb HD transfers done by Fresh Sound Records!

Checkmate/Hong Kong (2015, Fresh Sound Records, JM 1007, Compilation)

"Checkmate": Music composed and conducted by Johnny Williams.

L’image contient peut-être : 3 personnes, personnes souriantes

Now, just a damn minute!

No EARTHQUAKE? No THE TOWERING INFERNO? No THE EIGER SANCTION?

Bes, you're slipping, but...hot damn, you've got the MO-FI CE3K. Kudos, dude!

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

No EARTHQUAKE? No THE TOWERING INFERNO? No THE EIGER SANCTION?

Bes, you're slipping, but...hot damn, you've got the MO-FI CE3K. Kudos, dude!

I've started collecting too late!

(I digitally bought Towering Inferno altough!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

Thought I'd listen to this while jacket hunting online. Despite some glaring micro-edits, this album is sublime. It could almost be retitled "Adventure: The Album". Williams constructed these 40 minute beauties back then. I wish he still did.

Temple of Doom OST

Same praise as above, but the sound quality is mainly why I keep returning to this. The 2008 is alright, but this is a phenomenal 40 minute tour-de-force of action, adventure, sinister chants and playful romance.

The Sixth Sense - James Newton Howard

I forget sometimes how much I love this OST.  It's my favorite of JNH's Shyamalan scores.  I'm sure my continued attachment to the film as the director's best has not a little to do with that.

You said "It's my favorite of JNH's Shyamalan scores", doesnt that mean you think its better than Signs?  Or no?

I suppose.  If there's such a thing as objectively judging the merits of one composition vs. another, I dunno if I'd say Sixth Sense is better.  It's the one I'd reach for first, the one I respond to most.

Honestly though, Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are all pretty much equal to me.

I actually don't have a very strong opinion on the Shyamalan/JNH scores.

Signs is one I love and have listened to a bunch of times.  Most of the other ones I've never actually listened to before, or maybe checked out once or twice.  I mean I saw the films, but not listened to all the OSTs yet.

Great ills require great remedies!

The Sound of Music

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « "sound of music" "addams family" »

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The beginning of the end... Just like it happened with us...

Is there still any hope for us?

I like to think there is...

Maybe on the day you'll finally listen to that magnificent score that one British composer wrote for England's most famous outlaw... Maybe then will there be a reconciliation...