What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'd love somebody to give Captain Blood that treatment, it's my personal favorite Korngold.

Now you're just fishing for bonus points from me.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah does the guy who runs Tadlow just not like Korngold or something?  Or maybe it's a licensing issue.

Stromberg at least re-recorded Prince and the Pauper (and Robin Hood of course) but I'd love somebody to give Captain Blood that treatment, it's my personal favorite Korngold.

I agree that Captain Blood really needs a re-recording, and it's strange that it hasn't been done yet when The Sea Hawk and Robin Hood has gotten so good treatment. I see two possible reasons:

1) The music isn't entirely Korngold's. Especially, he borrowed from Liszt (about 10% according to Wikipedia), but it fits very well into the score. Because of this Korngold only took credit for "musical arrangement".

2) If the physical score is lost, this is probably the most difficult of Korngold's great scores to transcribe by ear - just listen to the Tsunami release and the excerpts on Korngold - The Warner Bros. Years.

Just now, Romão said:

Has Tribute stopped doing re-recordings? Captain Blood would've been right up their alley

I think so sadly.  Their last one was 5 years ago I think. :(  I own and adore every release they did.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, the Stromberg recordings were reconstructions of the original scores.  I thought all the Korngold rerecordings were reconstructions.

Yes they are, at least to some degree. My point is that the older the sound recording, the more difficult to transcribe.

19 hours ago, publicist said:

The Previn sounds shitty.

It would be interesting to increase the speed of Previn's Korngold recordings by 30% or so. I'm convinced they would sound a lot better!

19 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Nah, Gerhardt's are the best, even when you include the original recordings. But of course he only did suites, so Gerhardt isn't enough to cover everything. Official releases of the originals are of course very much needed. And HD releases of the films, too.

I you haven't already, I recommend to give Lionel Newman's early 60s re-recordings a listen. They've got the same spirit as Gerhardt's.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, the Stromberg recordings were reconstructions of the original scores.  I thought all the Korngold rerecordings were reconstructions.

Also, the (outstanding) Kaufman suite is already a John Morgan reconstruction.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I you haven't already, I recommend to give Lionel Newman early 60s re-recordings a listen. They've got the same spirit as Gerhardt's.

I didn't even know such a thing exists. Any details?

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Here it is! Who will be the fastest and buy the cheap, near-mint, top listing?

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5936970?ev=rb

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes they are, at least to some degree. My point is that the older the sound recording, the more difficult to transcribe.

It would be interesting to increase the speed of Previn's Korngold recordings by 30% or so. I'm convinced they would sound a lot better!

I you haven't already, I recommend to give Lionel Newman early 60s re-recordings a listen. They've got the same spirit as Gerhardt's.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I do have it!  I got it from the forum which shall not be named last year.  It's a great album

R-5936970-1451262677-9461.jpeg.jpg

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah does the guy who runs Tadlow just not like Korngold or something?  Or maybe it's a licensing issue.

Stromberg at least re-recorded Prince and the Pauper (and Robin Hood of course) but I'd love somebody to give Captain Blood that treatment, it's my personal favorite Korngold.

And of course he did The Sea Hawk, but there's a few aspects of this re-recording which really annoys me. First, some of the cues are under-rehearsed, for example that the conducting is too fast for the orchestra and/or choir to follow. This is the case in the Shores of Dover choir cue, which also has the most annoying fault: Russian accent. That's just plain wrong in a score to an American movie of a British adventure tale. This is really bad judgement by Stromberg. He should have re-recorded the choir part with an American or British choir when he got home from the Moscow sessions and realized how bad it sounds. Even an amateur choir would be better than what we got.

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I really dislike the Kaufman recording - the whole product reeks of cheapness. I'll take Previn's record over his any day.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:27 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

In my opinion, the Gerhardt, Newman, Stromberg, and Gamba recordings of Korngold's film music are much preferable over the Previn ones, as Previn is waaay too slow... Of course, the best recordings are the originals conducted by the man himself. When will we get a proper release of the original recordings of The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Elizabeth & Essex? The old Tsunami releases applied too much noise reduction.

I forgot to mention Kojian's records of The Sea Hawk and Robin Hood. In my opinion, he's up there with Gerhardt. The same applies to his Star Wars record. I'll rank Kojian's Sea Hawk over Stromberg's, and I don't mind that Kojian's far from complete. It contains enough of the music for me.

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I really dislike the Kaufman recording - the while product reeks of cheapness. I'll take Previn's record over his any day.

What!? It's perhaps my favourite Golden Age recording next to the Gerhardts. Great performances, great sound. The extensive Scaramouche suite is better than the original score recording and has nearly everything one would want.

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What!? It's perhaps my favourite Golden Age recording next to the Gerhardts. Great performances, great sound. The extensive Scaramouche suite is better than the original score recording and has nearly everything one would want.

I've tried several times to like it, but at least his Captain Blood is not my cup of tea. :) Maybe it's because I automatically compare it to the original recording, which is just so much more refined, even with the lousy sound.

The Monkey King 2

Spider-Man 3

Alice Through The Looking Glass

Oz the Great and Powerful

Jupiter Ascending

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Delerue)

Return to Oz

Karol

On 11/1/2017 at 5:13 PM, publicist said:

A new Wintory, eclectic as usual but more melodically based (and jazzy). It has the kind of fine-honed orchestration you wish regular Hollywood composers would employ more often.

Indeed.  Waiting with baited breath for him to be given the reigns on the sort of projects seemingly reserved lately for those only pretending to have this level of finesse.

20 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Indeed.  Waiting with baited breath for him to be given the reigns on the sort of projects seemingly reserved lately for those only pretending to have this level of finesse.

It will happen!

The Empire Strikes Back by John Williams. Excellent, of course, but the original album programme (which is what I'm listening to right now) is just plain dreadful. Just doesn't make sense.

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Empire Strikes Back by John Williams. Excellent, of course, but the original album programme (which is what I'm listening to right now) is just plain dreadful. Just doesn't make sense.

Karol

Wait, as it appears on the LP or the Polydor CD? If it's the LP, what's wrong with it?

17 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Wait, as it appears on the LP or the Polydor CD? If it's the LP, what's wrong with it?

It just doesn't flow well. I was raised on the RCA set so the score was always in film order for me. I like how it has beginning, middle and end. So the editing on the original album is sometimes really shocking to me. Some of the most emotional peaks of the score are places...in the middle of the album?

Karol

I have at last found the truth about this curious album.  Like it is wrote on the back, it's made with half previously released tracks and half new recorded ones.

Erich Kunzel - Cincinnati Pops Orchestra Perform A Salute To The Great Movie Scores Of Steven Spielberg (1999)

81L9pZRCYzL._SL1225_.jpg

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why is it a curious album?

As a guy who have made several discographies, the one of Charles Aznavour among others, I always found those "kind" of albums curious. 

Half way between studio album and compilation.  Aznavour has some albums like this in his international discography, the italian and german if I remember well. 

There are really "new" albums, but filled with few "bonus" tracks, for a reason or another, that were previously released on album... (they could be succes tracks, or they maybe just fit well in the thematic of the new album).

At first view, we could think... ah they're maybe new recordings... But no, it's just a "repeat".

Anyway, all to say that, if one day I work on an Erich Kunzel discography (btw it seems not to have been made seriously yet), I will put this album in the "album" section, it's not a compilation for me. ;)

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I like the weird and funky ways Williams would assemble an album.

Empire's a good album. I think the issue people run in to with albums is that they expect the music to adhere to the order of the movie. They seem to care more about the connection to the movie's narrative than the music itself.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:35 PM, Romão said:

Has Tribute stopped doing re-recordings? Captain Blood would've been right up their alley

On 11/2/2017 at 4:36 PM, Disco Stu said:

I think so sadly.  Their last one was 5 years ago I think. :(  I own and adore every release they did.

I guess they couldn't continue with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra after the sanctions against Russia. But there's several good Eastern European orchestras which could be considered as a replacement.

22 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Empire's a good album. I think the issue people run in to with albums is that they expect the music to adhere to the order of the movie. They seem to care more about the connection to the movie's narrative than the music itself.

They just don't understand album arrangements.

26 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

They just don't understand album arrangements.

Hear, hear! The priority of the composer is of course to present his/her music in the best possible manner, to give the best listening experience outside the movie. And this often implies not having all the music in chronological order.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:40 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I've given Kaufman's recording of Captain Blood a new try, and I still don't like it. Just listen to the start of the overture. To me the main problem is too much reverb and trumpets which are out of focus (partially because of the reverb). Here's a comparison with Gerhardt's and Korngold's original recording:

11 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I've got the Marco Polo recording of Steiner's All This and Heaven Too on order.

Good it's with Stromberg and not Kaufman... :D

16 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Soon, I will have a new apprentice. One far younger and more powerful...

Probably not younger...

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good it's with Stromberg and not Kaufman... :D

I might have been content with the Gerhardt suite, but I liked the All Hallow's Eve music in the film, so I sought the Stromberg recording.

15 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I might have been content with the Gerhardt suite, but I liked the All Hallow's Eve music in the film, so I sought the Stromberg recording.

My favorite Steiner (of those I can immediately remember) are the march from The Caine Mutiny, Tara's theme from Gone with the Wind, and of course The Adventures of Don Juan.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've given Kaufman's recording of Captain Blood a new try, and I still don't like it. Just listen to the start of the overture. To me the main problem is too much reverb and trumpets which are out of focus (partially because of the reverb). Here's a comparison with Gerhardt's and Korngold's original recording:

Sure, it's reverby, because it was recorded in a church - the same church in fact where Karajan did many of his Deutsche Grammophon Berlin recordings (which are also a bit on the reverby side, and well off for it, too, although perhaps the reverb isn't quite as strong there).

The thing is, I've never been too fond of Gerhardt's Blood overture - perhaps the one instance where I prefer a different recording over Gerhardt. His Ship in the Night is sublime though (and also the only recording of that piece I'm aware of).

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Sure, it's reverby, because it was recorded in a church - the same church in fact where Karajan did many of his Deutsche Grammophon Berlin recordings (which are also a bit on the reverby side, and well off for it, too, although perhaps the reverb isn't quite as strong there).

The thing is, I've never been too fond of Gerhardt's Blood overture - perhaps the one instance where I prefer a different recording over Gerhardt. His Ship in the Night is sublime though (and also the only recording of that piece I'm aware of).

Let's just agree that a substantial re-recording is needed. :)

I have to say that of the four suites Previn recorded, Captain Blood is the least disappointingly executed - the overture starts briskly, but then slows down a bit too much.

Btw, Gerhardt's Ship in the Night is the same as Previn's Meeting on the Ocean.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, Gerhardt's Ship in the Night is the same as Previn's Meeting on the Ocean.

Oh, indeed! Didn't remember that. Doesn't hold a candle to Gerhardt's version though, even if Previn's suite actually starts out fine and with a good pace. I've heard significantly slower performances of the overture live.

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

Flesh+Blood by Basil Poledouris

The Good German by Thoman Newman

War Horse by John Williams