What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Wow. 22 years older than me ;)

Again, happy birthday, and have "finest duck" :)

The finest what? Ok, sorry I misread a "f". :P

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

No one said anything when it was my birthday last week...:(

Change your name... and lower your voice. :sarcasm:

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

How do you know what my voice sounds like? I could sound like Ken Page for all you know!

Johnny Cash told that to Roy Orbison when he began. Great advice.

:music:The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore. While I do enjoy all three scores, this is the only one that feels like it's adding anything to this world. This middle score like Shore actually actively engaged in the story. It establishes new territories or different aspects and has its own identity. I find it to be the most interesting of the albums and also the most comprehensive one. It is also the best film out of the three.

Karol 

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music:The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore. While I do enjoy all three scores, this is the only one that feels like it's adding anything to this world. This middle score like Shore actually actively engaged in the story. It establishes new territories or different aspects and has its own identity. I find it to be the most interesting of the albums and also the most comprehensive one. It is also the best film out of the three.

Karol 

To me the heavy dark opening drags this score down a bit but once the action moves to Lake-Town the material becomes the best of the lot.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I love the entire Mirkwood sequence actually. 

Karol

Mirkwood has every right to be dark (and of course the Spiders!). I was refering to the very moody opening music for Beorn where even his house and animal companions are painted in very subdued colours and surprisingly earthy tones of the Wood Elven musical world that seem to cling to such dark colorations. Then again a lot of dark stuff is happening in this film all the time. PJ really went for the peril beyond the Misty Mountains.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 7:59 AM, Bespin said:

Today's my birthday and I listen only the best!

Here's how we start the day:

- The Reivers (Original album)

- Jaws (Original album, LLL)

- CE3K (Original album, Audio Fidelity) + the Disco Track of course :cheer:

- Star Wars (Original double album, remastered)

- Superman (Original double album, Japanese 16 tracks CD)

- 1941 (Original album, LLL)

Ok, the best of the best part II, I'm not afraid!

- The Empire Strikes Back (Original single Promo album program, using the remastered mp3s, but in this order...)

01 Main Theme

02 Yoda's Theme

03 The Training of a Jedi Knight

04 The Imperial March
05 Han Solo and the Princess

06 Battle in the Snow

07 The Asteroid Field

08 Yoda and the Force

09 The Duel

10 Finale (ok, I cheat on this one, I use the track from the SE, the edits are better)

- Raiders of the lost Ark (original album)
- E.T. (original album, LLL)

- Return of the Jedi (original album, remastered)

Big big day, the best of the best part III, again!

- Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (original album)

- The Empire of the Sun (original album)

- Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (original album)

- Hook (original album)

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

- Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (original album)

- The Empire of the Sun (original album)

- Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (original album)

- Hook (original album)

Great stuff.

Okay well there are four today.

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

- Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (original album)  1:biglaugh:

- The Empire of the Sun (original album)                               2:biglaugh:

- Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (original album)        3:biglaugh:

- Hook (original album)                                                           4:biglaugh:

Yep.

Someone uploaded the complete score of Batman VS Superman to youtube.

I must say, hearing the missing parts makes it a lot more palpable. (and more interesting than Justice League, honestly)

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Mirkwood has every right to be dark (and of course the Spiders!). I was refering to the very moody opening music for Beorn where even his house and animal companions are painted in very subdued colours and surprisingly earthy tones of the Wood Elven musical world that seem to cling to such dark colorations. Then again a lot of dark stuff is happening in this film all the time. PJ really went for the peril beyond the Misty Mountains.

The opening is indeed the score's weakest part. But everything from Mirkwood onwards is quite excellent. Like Karol mentioned, its the only score of the 3 that feels like Shore was really expanding the lexicon of Middle-Earth's music.

2 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Someone uploaded the complete score of Batman VS Superman to youtube.

I must say, hearing the missing parts makes it a lot more palpable. (and more interesting than Justice League, honestly)

What isn't more interesting than Justice League?

40 minutes ago, KK said:

The opening is indeed the score's weakest part. But everything from Mirkwood onwards is quite excellent. Like Karol mentioned, its the only score of the 3 that feels like Shore was really expanding the lexicon of Middle-Earth's music.

True.

King Kong by John Barry

I really appreciate the sound quality and am glad I gave the complete score a try, but I think I prefer the 43-minute album.

First E.T, now this...what is wrong with me and complete scores lately?

Gremlins 2 by Jerry Goldsmith: My other other favorite score by my very favorite composer. I deliberately rarely put on this one, just to make the blissful melodic goofiness all the more 'special'. I don't know why Haviland Morris' character gets her own theme that's expressed at least twice despite her being a minor character, but I just think that's so neat, man. Also love Christopher Lee's theme that's played mournfully during his death by electric gremlin. 

Endurance by John Powell: Holy fishpaste, Powell was this awesome this early in the game?

You Were Never Really Here by Jonny Greenwood

Good stuff. Leans more towards his Radiohead roots, with some of his usual textural distortions. It's a nice short album with some good highlights ("Tree Strings" is Greenwood's "Kangaru"), but not as good and fully realized as his PTA scores.

19 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

But since this is the original album we're talking about which is shorter, wouldn't it be a smaller world?

Complete score, shomplete score! Listen to what you like, and fuck everyone else.

Greenwood's usual kopfmusik mixed with retro pop - sometimes you think it's a lighter riff on Tron:Legacy - and it's certainly rewarding (it goes without saying that regular fm fans will run away in horror). But it's good to see one of the few current film composers who can think outside the box, though i admit that he's an acquired taste.

The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith (1999)  9.5 / 10

The Ballad The Cable Rogue - Jerry Goldsmith (1971) 7 / 10

Wrinkle in The Time - Ramin Djwadi (2018)    4 / 10

Tomb Raider - Junkie XL (2018)  1 / 10

Lovely harmonic colours in this one. Wish he could employ such devices in film music more often.