What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

If the lame movie would have been as uncompromising as the dutch movie it's based on we would have something here (one of the most horrible fate's ever to befall a main character in that one).

:music: Wolf Totem by Jimmy Horner. Of all his "final" works, this is my favourite. An extremely well balanced listening experience. Stylistically located somewhere between his sprawling ethic melodramas and children adventure stories, it is just about the most perfect mixture.

Karol

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Wolf Totem by Jimmy Horner. Of all his "final" works, this is my favourite. An extremely well balanced listening experience. Stylistically located somewhere between his sprawling ethic melodramas and children adventure stories, it is just about the most perfect mixture.

Karol

Sadly I never got into this score even though I gave it a few listens back when it came out. Some of the usual Horner magic is missing from this to me ears. Or perhaps it is the over-familiarity of this brand of Horner sound.

I'm surprised to hear you say that Inky, I thought it was full of Horner magic!

John Powell - Solo: A Star Wars Story

Liking this much more now that I can figure out what themes are playing way.  This is a VERY thematically-rich score!  L3's theme is my favorite, I think; I wonder if Powell made it purposely similar to March of the Resistance?

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy V

The best main theme in video game scores?  Perhaps.  Good score overall too.

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada)

I was inspired to listen to this thanks to Stu's great videos.  God I love this score to pieces.

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Super fun score

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada)

I was inspired to listen to this thanks to Stu's great videos.  God I love this score to pieces.

Oh hey, I should probably post some more, haha.  In all the hubbub in my life around buying a house and coming down with strep I forgot

God of War by Bear McCreary: I finally got my CD today and I am more than impressed with McCreary here, more than I have been in the past. And this despite that he takes a very modern almost RCP approach to the action music which often features unisono horns, heavy real and synth percussion and beats.

However the choral and soloist material is particularly impressive as is the use of the specialty instruments and same goes for his 4 major themes he employs quite expertly throughout as he scores both big and small dramatic moments. If only he would have chosen to use more woodwinds, trumpets and trombones this would be an even better work.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm surprised to hear you say that Inky, I thought it was full of Horner magic!

The main theme just fails to connect with me emotionally which sort of sinks the score for me.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

Summer's choices

John Williams - Jaws 2 (Intrada)

John Williams - The Witches of Eastwick

John Williams - The BFG

OK I only listened to The Witches of Eastiwck, I fell... Father, I fell into... Charles Aznavour. I'm deeply sorry!

I will try to control myself tomorrow and return to my original program!

Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams

Nixon - John Williams

I have changed my mind about Nixon, I now think it is a top 20 Williams score. Both of these scores are top 20 Williams scores and two underrated Williams scores. Give me them any day over the likes of the Home Alones, Stepmom, The Terminal, Indy 4, War Horse etc.

1 minute ago, Demodex said:

I listened to Chamber of Secrets today.  I remember now why I hardly ever listen to it. 

Ban!

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

God of War by Bear McCreary: I finally got my CD today and I am more than impressed with McCreary here, more than I have been in the past. And this despite that he takes a very modern almost RCP approach to the action music which often features unisono horns, heavy real and synth percussion and beats.

If you haven't listened to "The Cape" yet, McCreary channels 1990s Elfman and Walker throughout. Nothing RCP about that score, it is pure fun and thematic. Actually surprised he hasn't been approached to score a comic book film.

Night Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

An eternal favourite of mine, not least due to its Walt Disney Company depiction of the miserable daily life behind the iron curtain under communist yokeTM complete with desperate citizens, praying teary-eyed looking skywards and the old nazis from 'Where Eagles Dare' now redressed in green instead of black uniforms (there are ominous black leather coats, too!). The true story of two east-german families escaping them with a self-sewn balloon has been transformed into quite a hoot of Monty-Pythion dimensions and Goldsmith channeling that vibe into a glorious Golden Age score is undoubtedly a big cheese factor.

The score is the closest Goldsmith ever came to Williams' own Golden Age pastiches, employing Strauss (flying!), Wagner (doom-laden flying!!), Stravinsky (the bad guys) and good old MGM hokiness into one grand package full of pathos that stylistically draws from 'The Blue Max', 'Capricorn One' and 'Star Trek', but done with such perfection that the second-hand nature of it is quite secondary. Several long pieces work themselves through the hope- and suspenseful testing of the balloon (it's triplets galore) finally unleashed in the glorious Straussian 'First Flight' (see above).

A goofier component is a 'folksy' accordion theme for the families, demonstrating America's blasé handling of foreign geographics, as Goldsmith fails miserably at a german idiom, locating the whole affair somewhere around a Paris boulevard. All things considered, this one should belong to a less irrelevant movie to be heard and performed more frequently - it's one of those Goldsmith's that wasn't ever re-recorded, not even by the Pragues - and Intrada must be thanked for championing it so relentlessly (i count now three or four releases since 1987).

The score divorced from the film is quite a powerhouse, especially the flying sequences. I remember getting this score purely on the recommendations here at JWFan and it really met expectations and actually exceeded them. 1980's was great time for such musical flights (pun fully intended) of fancy.

Zootopia by Michael Giacchino

I admit to enjoying this one. Not a top shelf work by any standards, but there's some fun textures and percussion work. Ramifications is a fine action cue.

Great album... for an album of "arrangements"!

p_megan2015.jpg

John Williams For Winds – Music for Cinema and Beyond (2015, Free Audio Streaming; US Coast Guard Band/Megan)

DISC 1

01 – A Hymn to New England (3:26)
02 – Adventures on Earth (from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial) (10:38)
03 – Sugarland Express (5:20)
04 – Out to Sea and The Shark Cage Fuge (from Jaws) (4:46)
05 – The Cowboys Overture (9:53)
06 – Adventures of Mutt (from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) (3:26)
07 – Midway March (4:13)
08 – Viktor’s Tale (from The Terminal) (4:27)
09 – Raiders March (from Raiders of the Lost Ark) (5:28)
10 – Star Wars: Main Title (5:40)
11 – The Patriot (7:49)

DISC 2

01 – Summon the Heroes (6:40)
02 – The Reivers (18:22)
03 – Fanfare for Fenway (3:17)
04-06 – Escapades (from Catch Me If You Can)
4 Closing In (2:53)
5 Reflections (5:26)
6 Joy Ride (5:18)
07 – A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey (15:46)

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Goooood stuff, and I really appreciate all the concert arrangements at the end.  I wish more composers still did this.

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

What an amazing thrill ride!  Love this score to pieces.

John Powell - Solo: A Star Wars Story (OST slightly re-ordered to be more chronological)

Liking this score more every time.  There's a lot of passion on display here

Star Trek VI (expanded): Clif Eidelman

2001: Alex North

Rogue One: Giacchino

LA Confidential: Goldsmith

ET: Williams

now that I've seen the film, hope to get the Solo OST soon.

Jerry Goldsmith - Totall Recall (Quartet Disc 1)

This is a GREAT score.  I love that it's primarily an action score, BUT also has really great "in between" stuff, like especially "The Mutant" and "A New Life".  The entire score is consistently, solidly, very strong!

The Book Thief   by John Williams

Am I the only one on here besides hornist who absolutely loves this score?  Wonderful writing, gentle yet strong.  Lovely orchestrations.  So what if he repeats himself a bit?  The technical fabric of the work is exquisite.   

I adore the Max and Leisel theme.

You know, I think it would be nice if Williams arranged some cues for piano quintet.  

No, I like it too. Very much even. It's nothing revolutionary by Williams' standards but the execution is so elegant I find it irresistible. I take this slightly diluted Angela's Ashes over most other stuff he did for drama films.

Karol

42 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The Book Thief   by John Williams

Am I the only one on here besides hornist who absolutely loves this score?  Wonderful writing, gentle yet strong.  Lovely orchestrations.  So what if he repeats himself a bit?  The technical fabric of the work is exquisite.   

I adore the Max and Leisel theme.

You know, I think it would be nice if Williams arranged some cues for piano quintet.  

I like the way the main theme resolves itself softly at the end... as the Death finally wins... yet, many years later than expected.

Listen the theme at the beginning (there's a note that seems "wrong" in the theme, it's not, it's in minor, but JW want to show us that something is wrong!) and listen to it in the finale (the note is at last corrected, and it's now in major).

I wonder how differently the score would have turned out under a more overtly emotional directorial take on the material.  As is, the reserved BBC-esque tone of the film kind of limits the score IMO.

I just made it through None but the brave.

It's not an easy one, I just can say that I can't whistle you the theme just after one listening!

Will need few more...

Jaws OST on the Intrada second disc for the first time.

This is pretty good! It's tight, fun, different, elaborates on a lot of lovely material...

'Course, as with the E.T. OST, I would have been infuriated if I had only this to listen to for 40 years (25 if weird order and sound quality issues don't count) from the actual score, but now it's a fantastic alternate presentation to have and will get many listens!

OST marathon for a sunny morning, I'm on fire today!

Jaws OST

JAWS II OST

A NEW HOPE OST (2018)

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bes doesn't have a home. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Okaaaaay. Then where the hell does he put all his CD's?