What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

After a bit of digging through the album i found some definite highlights (though it's a rather irrelevant horror movie):

"Incantation" is a graceful brass piece worthy of Horner or Williams, again confirming Gordon as criminally under-utilized in more traditional dramatic genres (he's now a major figure in Australia's green party). The main piece (i linked the version sans e-guitars) is a great driving horror piece á la Young or Goldenthal. The whole score is too quiet too leave much of an impression but as far as single parts go, it's top 10 material for this year.

While listening to Giacchino's nice-enough-but-somewhat-stale Voyage piece (as linked in the other thread), I found myself bit bored halfway through and decided to instead switch to yet another "space" and "voyage"-themed concert piece Dario Marianelli which is much much much much much much much much much much much much much much more interesting:

Karol

revisited Enemy at the Gates. I think it was the first Horner disc I ever brought (from the old Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus) and for a while it was all the rage in my listening cycle. That being said, this time I had re-listened after Perfect Storm and the two sort of crossed-over in my mind as well as the earlier listen of Titanic this week. 

However, one part that still works for me is about 6.42 in "Betrayal" that sound when Tania catches sight of Sacha hanging -the music full of angst and horror before segueing into the Russian counterattack against the Germans (I've not seen the movie for a while so probably thinking of a different scene). River Crossing to Stalingrad starts well, resonating with that image of the globe and the seemingly unstoppable tide of the German blitzkrieg. Another highlight the Tractor Factory. 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Incanus said:

The Rocketeer by James Horner: Definitely among my top 3 Horner works. The whole score is such a joy to listen to, the exuberance and marvel of flight, positive energy, and swirl of big emotions sweeps you away. The themes, the action and the arc of the drama are all well-rounded, certainly a nod to a film scoring eras of the past but never so that it hinders the composer's own style or dramatic impulses. 

P.S. I love the little diegetic film scoring bit for the Laughing Bandit which underscores the filming of a swashbuckler in the movie. Hearing this little piece makes me wish Horner had written the rest of the score.

I really need to listen to this. I watched the film a few times when I was young. Never had the soundtrack, bought the expanded release and it's in the shrink wrap still...  (I know, shame on me).

I shall make myself listen to it this week!

Alien 3 Elliot Goldenthal (4th time listening to the LLL release)

Still can't believe this was finally released in complete form. I love so much of it. It's a work of art. I love the layers of texture, distorted samples over orchestra. I love the opening track of Disc 2, love the high horns, the low brass and the minimalist patterns in the high strings. I love the ending of 'Candles in the Wind.'

Ivanhoe Miklos Rozsa

Quo Vadis Miklos Rozsa

Loved them both

1 hour ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The Rocke-who?

Rockey and Bullwinkle!

Endurance by John Powell

Little Mermaid by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman

Admittedly my favorite Disney movie (I'm sorry) and favorite of all the Menken musicals. There's a warmth and down-to-earthiness to this one that I just don't feel with the other louder, in-your-face, more garish Disney musicals that followed.

Just now, Bespin said:

John Williams - Empire of the Sun (OST)

Are you familiar with the extended release of Empire of the Sun? It seems to me it doesn't have much of interest that's not on the OST.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you familiar with the extended release of Empire of the Sun? It seems to me it doesn't have much of interest that's not on the OST.

Yes, I love it. But the OST is a pretty little gem too!

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does it have of interest that's not on the OST?

The extended versions of Suo Gan and Exsultate Justi (for the finale) are superb.

The 2nd CD is Additional Music, and I rarely listen to it, I never really listen to those kind of Bonus in fact.  On my mp3 player, I always put them in a separate folder, to make sure they don't start to play after the score!

p_lllcd1300.jpg

Empire of the Sun [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1987) (2014, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1300; Rainbird, Williams, Ambrosian Junior Ch./McCarthy)

CD 1 - THE FILM SCORE: Suo Gan (extended version)** (Performed by The Ambrosian Junior Choir); Home and Hearth**; Trip Through the Crowd; Imaginary Air Battle; Japanese Infantry*; Lost in the Crowd; Alone at Home*; The Empty Swimming Pool*; The Streets of Shanghai; The Plane; Jim's New Life; The Pheasant Hunt; The British Grenadiers (traditional); Cadillac of the Skies; Mrs. Victor and James*; The Return to the City; Seeing the Bomb**; Bringing Them Back*; Liberation: Exsultate Justi; Suo Gân (Performed by The Ambrosian Junior Choir); Exsultate Justi (extended version)**; CD 2 - ADDITIONAL MUSIC: Chopin: Mazurka, Op. 17 No. 4 (excerpt)*; Imaginary Air Battle (alternate)*; Alone at home (alternate)*; The Streets of Shanghai (film version segment)*; The Streets of Shanghai (alternate segment)*; Chopin Again; The Plane (alternate)*; Cadillac of the Skies (alternate)*; The Return to the City (alternate)*; Exsultate Justi. *Previously unreleased. **Contains previously unreleased music.

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The extended versions of Suo Gan and Exultate Justi (for the finale) are superb.

But the extended Exsultate Justi only adds a few more seconds! Do those seconds really improve the piece?

Frozen by Christophe Beck and two songwriters whose names I can't remember (and probably should)

I like the songs in this and Moana, though the scores in both cases are largely merely pleasant noise in-between the songs. As much as I'm not a huge fan of the Menken era for the most part, I at least recognize how smoothly the songs and scores segued with each other. 

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Frozen by Christophe Beck and two songwriters whose names I can't remember (and probably should)

I like the songs in this and Moana, though the scores in both cases are largely merely pleasant noise in-between the songs. As much as I'm not a huge fan of the Menken era for the most part, I at least recognize how smoothly the songs and scores segued with each other. 

I think Beck did do a pretty good job with his themes.  The choral piece for the coronation scene is a highlight, as is the somewhat eerie yodelesque theme for female voice that apears when Elsa loses control of her powers.

Songs are quite strong, too, especially "For the First Time in Forever" and "Frozen Heart."

Agreed, there's some good stuff score-wise! The songs and score just don't feel as well-integrated into each other as they should.

As for the songs, I think they're just okay (a lot of the rhyming feels a bit obvious/predictable), but the performances more than make up for that.

Moana by Mark Mancina and those two songwriters again (Lopez somethin')

In chronological order, edited to a lovely 30 tracks/55-minute presentation (mainly just removed the weak action music)

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I love the songs in both. The Moana score isn't much more than functional, but Beck's Frozen score is quite good. I'm pretty sure he based his winter music on Wagner's snowstorm stuff from Die Walküre. And the finale cue where he incorporates the song themes is lovely.

Dennis the Menace by Jerry Goldsmith

Small Soldiers by Jerry Goldsmith (Deluxe Edition!)

There are a handful of cues not needed, but considering that we're going from 31 minutes to 68 and I'd only remove about 4-5 minutes worth, that still says a lot about getting to hear the whole score at long freakin' last! 

Agreeable if slight adventure/action score by Trevor Jones - the theme in its melodic radiance is all but unthinkable today - though Spotify's complete release (2.5 hours) is a mess full of filler and redundancies, the included 1993 album cut is more than enough.

While the theme is pretty cool there just is not enough variation. By the end of the score I tend to be simply fed up with it.

Karol

On 6/29/2018 at 10:50 PM, crocodile said:

While listening to Giacchino's nice-enough-but-somewhat-stale Voyage piece (as linked in the other thread), I found myself bit bored halfway through and decided to instead switch to yet another "space" and "voyage"-themed concert piece Dario Marianelli which is much much much much much much much much much much much much much much more interesting:

Karol

I LOVE Dario Marianelli Voyager Concerto! He is an artisan composer.

Giacchino's piece sounds too much like film music (I can hear some Star Trek sounds).

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sorry, JS, but that's bull and, most definitely, shit.

There's some wonderful stuff on the EE.

Once Upon a Forest by James Horner

An American Tail by James Horner

While I do prefer the sequel (both movie and score-wise), one of my few holy grails left is having this and said sequel score released remastered and complete and all that jazz.

I'm in the mood for listening the old OSTs.

John Williams - Superman: The Movie (OST, 16 tracks Japanese 1990 reissue)

IMG_2517.JPG

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I'm in the mood for listening the old OSTs.

John Williams - Superman: The Movie (OST, 16 tracks Japanese 1990 reissue)

IMG_2517.JPG

That's the only version to own of the OST!

7 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Once Upon a Forest by James Horner

An American Tail by James Horner

While I do prefer the sequel (both movie and score-wise), one of my few holy grails left is having this and said sequel score released remastered and complete and all that jazz.

The first film is superior in most aspects, to me.  The second one is too cartoony, and the score a tad too close to Copland.

Dreams to Dream is utterly fantastic, however.

The Score by Howard Shore

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

Masters of the Universe by Bill Conti

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow by Oscar Araujo

The Rocketeer by James Horner

On 6/30/2018 at 3:34 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Some of the early setup tracks like "Alone at Home" and "The Empty Swimming Pool" are great at setting mood, and generally aren't like anything on the OST.

"Bringing Them Back" is an incredible cue, and a crucial part of the narrative of the film and score; It's amazing Williams didn't put it on the OST.

As far as alternates go, the early version of "Planes" [disc 2's "Planes (Alternate)"] is clearly Williams' preferred take on the cue, as he used this as the basis of his new arrangement called "Cadillac of the Skies" on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration album.  And the percussive insert for"Streets of Shanghai" used in the film [on disc 2 here as "The Streets of Shanghai (film version segment)"] is wicked cool, too.

47 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You've been busy!

I was listening to this newly released recording of Adams' Doctor Atomic while washing the toilet today, not that I would compare this quality music to shit!

Indeed. Can't wait to sit down and listen along with the score!

https://www.boosey.com/cr/perusals/score?id=25835

The trio I received today:

The Cowboys Deluxe

Alien3 (LLL)

Superman Returns (LLL)

Wonderful listening all around! :wub2::D