What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Incredibles 2, by Michael Giacchino :music:

So much fun! Giacchino's best effort in a while.

***** out of *****

:music: Isle of Dogs by Alexandre Desplat. I'm actually grateful for all the non-score tracks as they bring in more variety.

Karol

I always enjoy Wes Anderson soundtracks that have a good mix of the score and the licensed tracks.  That mixture is one of the pleasures of his films.  In fact, for all of his films I've created  more "complete" playlists that incorporate the score cues and all of the needle drops (as in, including the ones left off the OST) in chronological order.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Hey, it's the Gollum chick!

Third or fourth listen ever, first time with the official discs.

Is this the gold standard of action/tension scores? Possibly.

The Stegosaurus has that initial wonder which then disappears quickly.

The Hunt is rousing and awesome.

On the Glass lives up to its title 1000%.

Rescuing Sarah is a masterpiece.

The Compys pierces your eadrums while terrifying the shit out of you.

Ripples' quiet tensing and buildup is also terrifying.

The Raptors Appear-High Bar and Ceiling Tiles make for a nice finale, but there's more to come in the form of...

Monster on the Loose - Visitor in San Diego - Ludlow's end, which is a mammoth blowout of awesomeness gathering everything so far and multiplying it by 10. The final 1:45 of Visitor are some of the finest action music of all time.

While usually in an orchestra, most instruments focus on one main idea at a time, and others enhance it (except for intentional forefront counterpoint, for example), here the main line's mostly the percussion, and the entire orchestra weaves around it and enhances it, it's really interesting and unexpected from Williams.

And of course there's the structure of slow descent into primal chaos, only occasionally rising above a little (the finale of Rescuing Sarah, only to dip down further than ever with The Compys) or for an extended fakeout leading into the San Diego finale.

Really looking forward to reading the nice, thick booklet.

U.S. Marshals by Jerry Goldsmith

Independence Day by David Arnold

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

On the Glass lives up to its title 1000%.

Really looking forward to reading the nice, thick booklet.

The original cue title is a wonderfully punny Pain of Glass. :P

The booklet was surprisingly sparse on the musical discussion. I get the feeling that in some cases, like JP and TLW, Matessino doesn't want to over-analyze this stuff or provide a track-by-track rundown in the liner notes and lets the music speak for itself. But HERE is my little write-up on the subject matter of TLW. ;) 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, Desplat's middle name isn't exactly variety.

Oh I don't know about. He's got range.

Karol

SmallSoldiersDeluxe_grande.jpg?v=1529419

Gee, what a fine mess. Audition will have to fix at least half of the bad joints and i don't blame Varése: the blame belongs to the dreaded C&C hellraiser, whom for those dozens of irrelevant snippets without any intrinsic musical value have to be pasted over perfectly worthwile cues or else. I could cut a great 50-minute album out of that but it will be...work. 

Beauty and the Beast by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman

Finally caved in and gave the Legacy Collection a shot, and while Little Mermaid remains my favorite of this era, I definitely now recognize why this is everyone else's. I had no idea the complete score would contain so much goodness (not to mention the sound quality being a fantastic upgrade). 

Lair by John Debney and Kevin Kaska: While the complete-ish score on the LLL set is an exhausting listen, there is some really wonderful stuff here. Sure it might be derivative of good ol' Jerry, Johnny and Basil perhaps but it is such a joy to hear these old fashioned action set pieces and quieter dramatic scoring brimming with bold heroic themes.

Tuba Concerto by John Williams: This might be his most jovial concerto with great humourous air about it as it dances forward but as usual the second movement reveals the soulful side and register of the tuba in a beautiful way.

War Horse by John Williams: Oh boy has it really been 7 years since this came out! Anyway it is among my favourite "recent" John Williams scores by the virtue of its unabashed pastoral writing and thematic ideas mixed with the more steely and somber music for the latter part of the film. The flute solos are absolutely wonderful and I think it bears repeating that Homecoming is among Williams' most delightful end credits suites that feels both a summation of the themes of the score but also like a free flowing concert overture where one idea so naturally proceeds to the next. 

I do a yearly ritual for 4th Of July and I listened to Independence Day's complete score.  Grant I listened to it a day early (on the 3rd) but hey it's the thought that counts.

John Williams - How To Steal A Million (OST from the Intrada set)
John Williams - Dracula (My restoration of the vinyl)
John Williams - Presumed Innocent
John Williams - Saving Private Ryan

L’image contient peut-être : 3 personnes, intérieur

26 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I wonder how many takes Wyler asked Williams to do of each cue in HTSAM?

Why?

31 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Find the link between these four scores, smart guy.

That's what I just did! :D

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bes, it's "Not smart enough, it seems!", unless you really are impersonating Yoda, in which case, fill your boots! :lol:

Yoda, I can be, if you want. But green, I'm not!

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's what I just did! :D

Still found nothing that link these 4 scores together?

It's easy... Another hint.... Goodbye Mr. Chips is missing from the list... but it's because I don't actually own it on CD.

On 7/3/2018 at 1:54 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

On 7/3/2018 at 5:37 PM, crocodile said:

Yes, but his middle name is Michel Gérard.

After being moderately pissed by the way Varéses Deluxe Edition of 'Small Soldiers' pasting i suggest the following cuts and omissions. Still not ideal and stuff could be left off for redundancy reasons but at least there's some order instilled:

1. Globotech (:58) ✓
2. He’s Here / Chip Hazard / Just Toys (1:00) cut after 00:29
3. The Assembly Line (2:44) ✓
4. Alan’s Town (1:25) ✓
5. The Boxes (join with 'Almost Sold' - minus first 25 seconds - at 00:54, plays much more organic) / Off The Truck (2:12) cut after 00:54 as single track
6. Gorgonite Scum / Almost Sold (1:36)
7. Roll Call (4:52) ✓
8. Alan And Archer (3:01) v
9. Destruction / Branded (3:01) ✓
10. Prepare For Assault (3:48) ✓
11. Special Design (Extended Version) (2:38) ✓
12. Talk To Me / Not Found (3:07) cut first 40 or so seconds
13. Team Gorgonite (1:10) ✓
14. Phone Wires / Gorgon / Top Of The Stairs (1:12)
15. Stand Down / Negative Target (1:52) ✓ (can be cut, material redundant)
16. The New Army / Brain Chip (1:14) ✓ (can be cut, material redundant)
17. Bombshelley (Franz Waxman) (1:21) ✓
18. The Wind (1:01) ✓
19. The Gwendys / Terms Of Surrender (1:50) cut after 00:39, join with 'Gwendys Attack'
20. The Trojan Box / Rocket Entry (1:45) cut first 30 seconds or so, join at tail end of 'This is Fun'
21. Gwendys Attack (1:47)
22. This Is Fun (1:26)
23. Toast / Down The River / Lost Battle (1:21) ✓
24. I’m Scared (2:04) ✓
25. Negotiations (1:10)
26. Fire In The Hole (3:45)
27. Trust Me (4:07)
28. No Prisoners (4:38)
29. Chip Dies / Cleaning Up (1:39)
30. Off To Gorgon (4:44)

Use this cover:

image.png

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:
On 7/3/2018 at 2:54 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

On 7/3/2018 at 6:37 PM, crocodile said:

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, but his middle name is Michel Gérard.

So not Michel Gérard Variety then.

Born on the Fourth of July Suite from Music for Stage & Screen by John Williams: Such a beautiful score and the suite is a nice distillation of the central materials from the score into a concert setting.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

So not Michel Gérard Variety then.

Born on the Fourth of July Suite from Music for Stage & Screen by John Williams: Such a beautiful score and the suite is a nice distillation of the central materials from the score into a concert setting.

I love the suite, but it needs a remastering to give the lower instruments more presence.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I live the suite, but it needs a remastering to give the lower instruments more presence.

I actually agree with that. Oh and I forgot to mention that Tim Morrison's playing is absolutely gorgeous. The colour and tone of his playing is just pitch perfect.

Planet of the Apes by Jerry "The Monkey Man" Goldsmith: While I don't often listen to this score, every time I do it still blows my mind with its challenging and daring concept and unique soundscape. Mixing bowls used as percussion rock!

14 hours ago, Bespin said:

Still found nothing that link these 4 scores together?

It's easy... Another hint.... Goodbye Mr. Chips is missing from the list... but it's because I don't actually own it on CD.

Here's the answer... that's movies released in... july (in the USA of course). 😜

:music: Die Hard With a Vengeance by Michael Kamen. It's a shame so much if it a reworking of a material from the previous two. Especially the final action cue, used already twice before (one of which is Die Hard 2). Having said that, the brand new material is very good. The way in which Kamen adapts the pre-existing material is so much fun. Beethoven never sounded so evil!

Karol

Return to Oz by David Shire

Monkey Shines by David Shire

Beauty and the Beast by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman (not my favorite of theirs, but very likely their very best best work objectively speaking)

Agent Cody Banks by John Powell (would love to make a shorter presentation of this, but it's hard to as all 79 minutes are entertaining!)

9 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

The Cowboys - again, I know but I just can't stop it, the thing sounds as if it were recorded yesterday! :worship: :rock2:

The new release is excellent indeed. I got my disc yesterday and have already given it 3 listens.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams: This score has actually aged rather well in my opinion certainly better than the film it was attached to.

Abzû by Austin Wintory: Still as lovely as ever.