What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith

The Ghostwriter by Alexandre Desplat

Forever Young by Jerry Goldsmith.  Quite strong score.  Some very nice themes, including an effective love theme.  Electronicisms are present, as usual.  For some action cues, I wonder if Goldsmith would have been better off just using the orchestra.  Cues like "The Diner" and "Treehouse" benefit from the textures, though.  Kind of dated atmosphere, but I really like it.  In general, it sounds like Goldsmith's most Horneresque score.  Is it just me?  "Reunited" is a fantastc cue, by the way.  Had that one on repeat.

Lady Caroline Lamb by Richard Rodney Bennett.  Bennett had an interesting voice as a composer.  Classicism with flair.  Nice writing and performances here, especially for viola in the score.

The Iron Giant by Michael Kamen.  A personal favorite of mine.  Gets a tad too loud in spots, but it is a very flowing score.  Orchestrations and themes are vibrant. "No Following" never fails to bring me to tears.  And I love that Kamen introduces themes just out of the blue, like the one in "The Army Arrives."

23 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Forever Young by Jerry Goldsmith.  Quite strong score.  Some very nice themes, including an effective love theme.  Electronicisms are present, as usual.  For some action cues, I wonder if Goldsmith would have been better off just using the orchestra.  Cues like "The Diner" and "Treehouse" benefit from the textures, though.  Kind of dated atmosphere, but I really like it.  In general, it sounds like Goldsmith's most Horneresque score.  Is it just me?  

Heavily temped with 'The Rocketeer'.

Solo: A freaking Star Wars Story by John freaking Powell

I surprisingly went a number of weeks without listening to this...now I'm addicted again. I can never listen to just one track or one highlight, I always end up wanting to hear the whole thing. It's like film music pizza! I work at a pizza place, yet for some reason I'll never get tired of pizza.

3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Lady Caroline Lamb by Richard Rodney Bennett.  Bennett had an interesting voice as a composer.  Classicism with flair.  Nice writing and performances here, especially for viola in the score.

Even at JWfan, RRB is underrated, underappreciated, and undervalued.

Have you heard his score for THE AZTECS?

I can't make up my mind whether his masterpiece is the bombastic MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, or the slow, atmospheric EQUUS. Actually, it might just be GORMENGHAST.

No, wait...FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD...

I've seen RRB perform live (and I do mean perform), and I've got his autograph.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Even at JWfan, RRB is underrated, underappreciated, and undervalued.

Have you heard his score for THE AZTECS?

I can't make up my mind whether his masterpiece is the bombastic MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, or the slow, atmospheric EQUUS. Actually, it might just be GORMENGHAST.

No, wait...FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD...

I've seen RRB perform live (and I do mean perform), and I've got his autograph.

Are you sure you're not RRB?

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith

The syth sounds are so flipping COOL in this, even moreso than usual for Goldsmith. Even the lesser cues have some gnarly syth textures. Doesn't exactly hold an 85-minute listening experience, but I surprisingly didn't feel the need to trim that much. 

I'm sure I made what would be considered by some as blasphemous exclusions, but I made a playlist that goes for 17 tracks/66 minutes. 

I want to say it's been a great appetizer for The Mummy, but obviously, we don't know for certain if that's indeed going to be the next Intrada release. I'm trying to convince myself it's not, just in case. It's not a holy grail of mine, but it seems to be for a lot of other folks and I'll be happy for 'em.

22 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm sure I made what would be considered by some as blasphemous exclusions, but I made a playlist that goes for 17 tracks/66 minutes. 

Just make sure you don't lose the revised 'The Mirrors' which is a) much better than the first version an b) one of Goldsmith's Top 90's action cues.

I don't know how it was labeled on the Intrada but it's a shorter 4-minute variant which runs at a faster pace and has much more cartoony zip than the more stately first version that ran longer.

Phew! Then yes, the 4-minute version is what I picked, and I agree.

1. The Poppy Fields

2. The Clouded Mind

3. I'll Be There

4. Secrets

5. Do You Believe

6. The Sanctum 

7. The Call

8. Chest Pains

9. The Knife

10. What I Know

11. The Tank

12. Get Dr Lane

13. The Hotel

14. Fight Like a Man

15. The Mirrors (alternate)

16. Frontal Lobotomy

17. ORIGINAL SIN (because it's awesome, babe)

I would kill one of those (What i Know, Get Dr. Lane) for 'Don't Open it' (minus the first 38 seconds) which is a more unique treatment of the baddies motif when Khan's sarcophargus is opened.

John Williams - Bachelor Flat (2008, Intrada Special Collection, ISC 83)

p_isc83b.jpg

Nice little "previously unreleased" score from 1962.  The Tuesday's Theme comes from that score, it was re-recorded for a single by John Williams and released in 1962.

That's the earliest of JW's movie scores to have been released so far.

A delight of old-fashioned movie romanticism, i shudder at the thought of Keanu Reeves stoically acting along Jarre's delirious exuberance - dictionary antagonism.

:music: The Mummy Returns. Jerry Goldsmith apparently hated working on the first film. But that wasn't such a bad one after all (not by Goldsmith standards). But I feel sorry for Alan Silvestri who wrote the finest score of his career for this piece of turd. It's the most colourful work in his entire oeuvre, most detailed and entertaining all the way through. It's really interesting that they decided not to use any Goldsmith at all in this but write a pretty much exactly the same score with (slightly) different style and all new themes. I think the soundscape, as established by Jerry, gave Silvestri a really kick and he's running with it. The score is at least an equal to the first one. It's a delight of summer film score escapism.

By the way, it was my first Alan Silvestri album and he never wrote anything as entertaining or better after that. Or even before that, for that matter.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Mummy Returns. Jerry Goldsmith apparently hated working on the first film. But that wasn't such a bad film after all (far from Goldsmith terrible really). But I feel sorry for Alan Silvestri who wrote the finest score of his career for this piece of turd. It's the most colourful work in his entire oeuvre, most detailed and entertaining all the way through. It's really interesting that they decided not to use any Goldsmith at all in this but write a pretty much exactly the same score with (slightly) different style and all new themes. I think the soundscape, as established by Jerry, gave Silvestri a really kick and he's running with it. It's a delight of summer film score escapism.

By the way, it was my first Alan Silvestri album and he never wrote anything as entertaining or better after that. Or even before that, for that matter.

Karol

It was also my first Silvestri album, but I sold it mainly because Silvestri's melodic material in this score is annoyingly over-reliant on repetition.

Silvestri: How will I manage to fill the entire film with music? Oh, I'll just repeat each melodic phrase to the point of absurdity!

This sums it up pretty well:

Btw: BTTF 1 and 3 are his best scores. It might be a cliche to say that, but it's nonetheless true. ;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was also my first Silvestri album, but I sold it mainly because Silvestri's melodic material in this score is annoyingly over-reliant on repetition.

Silvestri: How will I manage to fill the entire film with music? Oh, I'll just repeat each melodic phrase to the point of absurdity!

This sums it up pretty well:

Btw: BTTF 1 and 3 are his best scores. It might be a cliche to say that, but it's nonetheless true. ;)

Funny you should say that because I find it to be the issue with every OTHER Silvestri score BUT this one and its variety (in my opinion) to be the reason for it being my top Silvestri score.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Funny you should say that because I find it to be the issue with every OTHER Silvestri score BUT this one.

Karol

To be clear, I'm not criticizing his over-use of themes, but rather how they're constructed. In this score many of the themes can be broken down to the formal pattern AABBCC and so on, where each letter represents a short phrase. At least he could have the decency to vary the phrases more the second time around!

In french (from France) is was translated "Les dents de la mer"

Litteraly "The teeth of the sea".

In the 70's they smoke very good stuff.

😁

The 4 first studio albums of Johnny! 😎

Note: The Spotify version "The Johnny Williams Orchestra Plays Sounds from Screen Spectaculars" (aka Big Hits from Columbia Pictures) is from a bad Vinyl rip. I don't know why they share that on Spotify, the album (with bonus tracks) can be digitally bought in top notch quality on all good online stores.

p_kl_1055.jpg      p_bcp_6025.jpg

p_c_8043.jpg      p_cs8467.jpg

Superman III. Love it! A great and very effective combination of Williams and Thorne material. My favorite has always been the dark Superman sequence material (tracks 10-16 on the Blue Box CD 4).

Marine Band recording of John Williams’ “Prelude and Fugue”

I like to think of “Escapades” as a long overdue follow-up to this piece.  I wish he’d have written more in that third streamish style

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Marine Band recording of John Williams’ “Prelude and Fugue”

I like to think of “Escapades” as a long overdue follow-up to this piece.  I wish he’d have written more in that third streamish style

👍

p_75442270232.jpg

Family Album (2006, Naxos, 75442270232; "The President's Own" US Marine Band)

John Williams: Prelude and Fugue.

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/concert.htm

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

👍

p_75442270232.jpg

👍

p_75442270232.jpg

Yes, that is the album on which the recording was released.

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

👍

p_75442270232.jpg

👍

p_75442270232.jpg

Yes, that is the album on which the recording was released.

Ant-Man and The Wasp - Christophe Beck
Good, more new themes, a Winter Soldier touch for the ghost, a lot of action, chorus... A little less fun than the fist one but less boring than Incredibles 2...

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

In Norway the film is called Haisommer, which translates to Shark Summer. :lol:

The Finnish title Tappajahai translates to The Killer Shark.