What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Submitting an OST album for manufacturing before the score is finished is a common necessary evil (I suspect RotK, for example, has so many alternates/earlier takes for this reason), but finishing the score a couple of weeks before the final print lock deadline is not.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

As it has been said before, it is curious that the Mummy Returns liner notes make no mention of late sessions in the US nor who recorded them.

But it's well known that they happened in the US, so there could be rumours about the recording crew. ;) Anyway, if Sands was involved, it must be the first thing I'll hear by him that doesn't sound great.

12 minutes ago, Holko said:

but finishing the score a couple of weeks before the final print lock deadline is not.

Tell that to Goldsmith and the STTMP crew.

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete)

AMAZING

Kevin Riepl - Aliens; Colonial Marines

Moments of cool stuff, boredom in between

Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher

Nice

Theodore Shapiro & Craig Wedren - Wet Hot American Summer

(Y)

Alan Silvestri - Ready Player One (OST)

Finally saw the movie, so wanted to listen to this again.  It makes a lot more sense now.  Silvestri did a good job here.

James Newton Howard - Waterworld (Complete)

Great!

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Not bad

Eric Serra - Fifth Element (Complete)

(Y) (Y)

Lena Raine - Celeste

(Y) (Y) (Y)

On 5/20/2018 at 6:38 AM, Knight of Ren said:

Horton Hears a Who by John Powell: Really variated score, full of joy and energy. And despite it does not have a recognizable main theme as other Powell scores, it has lot of great short moments that make this album go fast. One thing I really like about the album presentation is how many cues flow into each other like one big cue.

Mars Needs Moms by John Powell: I also love the use of that "martian" sound that sounds like a homage to Elfman's Mars Attack!

Horton doesn’t have a recognizable theme? It’s literally the first 30 seconds of the score!

That would be homaging Herrmann’s use of the theremin in The Day The Earth Stood Still. 

100 Rifles - Jerry Goldsmith

I gave up and ordered this one, even if it meant double-dipping for a - hopefully - small sonic improvement. Well, it was *not really* worth it, but the small upgrade is still appreciated for this bad-assedest of Goldsmith western scores (it's 'Planet of the Apes' with catchy tunes), full of prepared piano and mariachi tunes cunningly reshaped into menacing bad guy marches. The movie is a late 60's improbability that places Burt Reynolds, Jim Brown and Raquel Welsh in 1912 Sonora, Mexico, as band of quasi-revolutionaries that try to buy, you guessed it, 100 rifles to fight the mexican army.

The main theme is a rousing repeated two-note horn call, similar to the later 'Rambo 2' crossed with a fast-paced mariachi bridge, and while the sound is clearly 60's/70's it's still a marvel that you could use it for a current movie without too much persuading. Goldsmith uses a mid-size orchestra with additional percussion that is constantly on the move and seldom offers respite - pieces like 'Breakout', 'The Ruins', 'Cliff Hangers' and 'Downhill Ride' (the old FSM title of the now-blandly-titled 'No Choice') are like twisted mexican dances put through a Stravinsky blender and it's this mixture of ethnic spunk and academical thought that makes this score come closest to what Morricone achieved in the many westerns in the 60's ('Bandolero' comes second, but the similarities are more superfluous there).

The sound still is kind of iffy, though an argument can be made that it actually adds to the charm. So for any western and Mexico fan who likes his stuff hot, spicy and with a good dose of hard-edged, this one is a dream come true.

Poltergeist II: The Other Side by Jerry Goldsmith (Kritzerland release)

Was disappointingly bored revisiting this one today, as I used to get a kick out of all the wacky syth (the telephone ring!) and choir stuff in this. The original's a contender for my all-time absolute favorite Goldsmith score, and I'm left kind of wishing he didn't bother with the sequel (though at least he bailed out for the third movie).

Innerspace by Jerry Goldsmith

Least good of the Goldsmith-Dante scores for me, but still entertaining enough. Album was fine, LLL release drags.

Deep Rising by Jerry Goldsmith

Another for the "I used to have fun with this one, what happened?" pile. 

Two dull listens, and one mildly entertaining one in-between. I decided I desperately needed something quite different. Discovered I hadn't heard this in what feels like years, and it was just the change of pace I needed! Another where the album was fine and the LLL release wasn't needed, but the latter's worth it for the one cue referencing The Gonk

Day of the Dead by John Harrison

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Someday, a lady will see me on the Kroger parking lot listening to Jerry Goldsmith's score to Poltergeist II: The Other Side, and think "Yep, he's the one!".

Hell yeah! 

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Deep Rising by Jerry Goldsmith

Another for the "I used to have fun with this one, what happened?" pile.

Deep Rising fucking rules.

David Newman wrote a handful of really good dramatic scores beyond all the kiddie stuff that made him rich - including 'Hoffa' and 'Brokedown Place'. This one is part Horner, part brother Tommy (these strings!) and, in its broadness, quite a bit of Williams, too. The 8 minute credits give the theme a great roll out, but all the tumultuous stuff is really good, too.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

Deep Rising fucking rules.

Love the movie and the score's great in it, but it was a dull CD listen (on either original album and especially the complete score).

There some drab stuff, but all the caribbean action writing (and the Mummy-like mean cunt-y brass runs) are just great. It was an assignment beneath Goldsmith, but the end result probably more entertaining that the movie deserved.

It was probably just my melancholic mood, as I found the action music painfully basic (at least by Goldsmith standards). Who knows, maybe I'll like it again when I'm feeling better. This apparently was indeed a day for the Dead.

:music: The Twin Towers by Plan 9. The ray of blue edition. After the first fantasy-oriented score, this one feels more earthy and gritty, almost documentarian. I have great affection for this one. It helps to sell the Mediterranean area as a real place. ;) 

Karol

King Solomon's Mines by Jerry Goldsmith

Super fun anyhow, though it's mainly a cousin of Baby (but without the goofy farting syths), right down to a Rambo-esque rhythm on one of the last cues. But that's not especially a knock against this, merely that it made me want to listen to a bit of Rambo afterward (and being reminded of Rambo is never a bad thing under any circumstances). Hadn't heard this one before, glad I gave it a go. 

Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith

I wish we had a video of Jerry conducting this while wearing his ape mask. 

Q: The Winged Serpent by Robert O. Ragland

The Mummy Returns (Intrada release) by Alan Silvestri

Black Dahlia by Mark Isham

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

Rambo 3 by Jerry Goldsmith

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Rambo 3 by Jerry Goldsmith

I only have the second Rambo score and it's been a favorite of mine for years. I haven't felt a need to explore the other two (I'm usually a "Buy one franchise score and I'm satisfied" kind of chap), but I'm lately finally growing curious on the other two. 

15 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I only have the second Rambo score and it's been a favorite of mine for years. I haven't felt a need to explore the other two (I'm usually a "Buy one franchise score and I'm satisfied" kind of chap), but I'm lately finally growing curious on the other two. 

First Blood is a different beast to the second one.

Selected Goldsmith tracks -Generals Suite, Winter March/German Advance, All Glory is Fleeting and Bound for Bastogne from Patton, tracks from First Blood, The Waltons theme and Police Story which I can't get enough of. 

Yesterday, Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters, The Bridge at Remagen and Heavy Metal.

I dig King Solomon's Mines the more I play it. I appreciate that Goldsmith doesn't spam that main hero theme to the point of nausea, which is something I tend to have issue with with these hero scores (YES JOHN WILLIAMS WE GET IT WE'RE LISTENING TO INDIANA JONES THANK YOU CAN WE GO HOME NOW). It pops up enough, just not to the point where I get sick of it or feel any need to edit cues.

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I dig King Solomon's Mines the more I play it. I appreciate that Goldsmith doesn't spam that main hero theme to the point of nausea, which is something I tend to have issue with with these hero scores (YES JOHN WILLIAMS WE GET IT WE'RE LISTENING TO INDIANA JONES THANK YOU CAN WE GO HOME NOW). It pops up enough, just not to the point where I get sick of it or feel any need to edit cues.

Only problem with King Solomon's Mines is that the main theme is so cheesy I find it hard to listen to. So it is great that it is not repeated very much.

12 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

First Blood is a leaner in execution than the sequels but first rate action and suspense scoring from old Jerrald. Take a listen and decide whether or not it is worth your attention.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:13 PM, crocodile said:

:music: The Twin Towers by Plan 9. The ray of blue edition. After the first fantasy-oriented score, this one feels more earthy and gritty, almost documentarian. I have great affection for this one. It helps to sell the Mediterranean area as a real place. ;) 

Karol

What?

He's talking about The reissue of The Two Towers: The Complete Recordings, which now comes with the score in HD 5.1 on a BD instead of DVD

Pretty much what I was hoping for! Hurrah!

As for moi...85 degrees?! Come, Doby! No time to lose! Off to the park we must go! Today is a day for glorious action! Exhilarating derring-do! Music that gets the blood flowing and muscles pumping! If I had muscles, anyway.

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

Rambo: First Blood Part II by Jerry Goldsmith

The Rescue by Bruce Broughton

The Sons of Katie Elder (LLL) - Elmer Bernstein

My favorite Bernstein is his 50s/60s drama mode, but I definitely love his "pop Copland" Western mode too.  A very entertaining listen!