What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you by any chance work as a lifeguard?

That music would put a new sort of spring into a lifeguard's step I am sure.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I haven't heard so much wind instruments since ... Hook?

I'm actually listening to BFG for the first time outside of the film. Hook's swashbuckling highlights are great, but BFG hits an emotional core that's far more resonant and compelling to me.

16 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm actually listening to BFG for the first time outside of the film. Hook's swashbuckling highlights are great, but BFG hits an emotional core that's far more resonant and compelling to me.

Hook's emotional highlights like Remembering Childhood and Farewell to Neverland are to my mind superior in every way to the BFG. The later score simply can't reach those beautiful emotionally resonant heights.

Minority Report by John Williams

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

Conan The Destroyer (City Of Prague Philharmonic rerecording)

Surprisingly fun listen even in complete form. Lighter than Basil's Magnum Opus, of which plenty is reused. But there's loads of good new material too that shines having been recorded with a bit more spit and polish then on the OST.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

Terrible storm and winds tonight here. My restoration of the original LP.

John-Williams-%E2%80%8E%E2%80%93-Dracula

That's...something to get your teeth, into!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Minority Report by John Williams

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

One of those is brilliant.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Conan The Destroyer (City Of Prague Philharmonic rerecording)

Surprisingly fun listen even in complete form. Lighter than Basil's Magnum Opus, of which plenty is reused. But there's loads of good new material too that shines having been recorded with a bit more spit and polish then on the OST.

Fantastic main theme!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

John Williams - The Press.

I love those piano cues! Pure gold old-fashionned Williams!

The Post you mean?

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The best Spider-Man score?

A very effective score which I found to be a good combination of old fashioned and modern.

40 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Post you mean?

A very effective score which I found to be a good combination of old fashioned and modern.

The main theme sounds suspiciously like Elfman's Justice League though... And bit like his Age of Ultron... Something in this neighborhood anyway.

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The main theme sounds suspiciously like Elfman's Justice League though... And bit like his Age of Ultron... Something in this neighborhood anyway.

Karol

It reminded of Brian Tyler's Marvel fanfare a bit. But yes Elfman seems to have been a definite stylistic inspiration.

Elfman's score would have been perfect in this game. I've been listening to both OST's quite a lot recently. These scores have aged very well. They are definitely a pinnacle of Elfman's modern action writing:

Karol

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Fantastic, the best electronic film score of the last 20+ years. I love this score.

Drive - Cliff Martinez

I hope this one will grow on me on my upcoming listen. I remember liking it, but nowhere near my love for Solaris.

4 hours ago, Lewya said:

Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Fantastic, the best electronic film score of the last 20+ years. I love this score.

That honour clearly belongs to Tron:Legacy. Martinez's exercises in static-ness are mostly good background listens.

Legrand's flowering score for a neglectable 1970 Shepperton version of 'Wuthering Heights' is on par with Williams' Bronte reading of 'Jane Eyre', both featuring prominent, opulently romantic main themes for their female protagonists' fateful activities in the forbidding Yorkshire moors. While Legrand makes a more forceful use of his London Studio Orchestra brass section, which Williams mostly eschewed, strings and flutes dominate, with guitar, harpsichord and violin solos strengthening the connection of both works. Sadly hard to find, it's another very good Legrand, who did rarely misstep in his film music (not counting 'Never Say never Again') and should satisfy friends of sophisticated romanticism.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:13 PM, Stefancos said:

Film or TV scores please, Koray. We have a separate thread for Video Game scores. 

Let's see if Jason respons to this? 

Thank you!

Please leave the moderating to the moderators, Stefan.  Your post is completely inaccurate and Koray was completely fine to talk about a video game score.  I don't care if you personally don't like video game scores, people are completely allowed to discuss them in this thread.  If you have a problem with it, just ignore posts that mention them rather trying to tell people what to do, it is not appreciated at all.  Thank you.

The Grand Budapest Hotel, by Alexandre Desplat 

So much fun! Desplat’s magnum opus, and one of the best film scores of the 21th century. Colorful, vibrant, and full of unique textures. 

***** out of *****

It's getting really chilly and autumny so it's time for...

:music: The Silence of the Lambs.

Main Title from this score is actually the first musical cue that comes to my mind when I think about this particular season.

Karol

Casper :music:

Since the main titles weren't included on the album (presumably for copyright reasons), it is a little weird that the album just kind of...drops you in! A lot of it's of course temp-tracked with Eflman-isms, but I confess to finding Horner's take on that style more engaging by simple (and subjective of course) virtue of him being a better writer than Elfman (and having better orchestrations). It's a minor fluffy score, but Horner's kiddie movie music is always easy listening even at its weakest.

Hmmm, haven't posted my score listens in a long while for some reason, so let's catch up

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Super fun.  I don't even mind that it's shorter than most action/adventure scores I listen to - everything I need is here!

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission Gun Hazard

Hadn't listened in a while, probably because of all the Xenoblade II listens, but when I returned to it I found I loved it as much as ever

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (Complete)

Glorious.

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man:Homecoming

Still find this to be one of his best efforts of recent years that never gets old with repeated listens.

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element

Still a favorite of mine since my teenage years, still hope for a 2CD complete edition one day.  I do prefer the fan edits made from iso score rips over the OST presentation, though it's hard to argue that the OST doesn't cover all the highlights.  I just like more time in this musical world I guess.  

Brian Tyler - Crazy Rich Asians

MEH.  Don't see what all the hype is all about at all.

James Newton Howard - Waterworld (Complete)

Still a wonderful action/adventure/fantasy score!

John Barry - Dances with Wolves (LLL)

Lovely LOVELY score, but I find it to be so emotionally draining that I rarely listen to it!

God of War by Bear McCreary

Rambo II: First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith

Spider-Man by John Paesano

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Conan the Barbarian

Conan the Destroyer

Karol

The originals or Tadlow re-recordings?