What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 minute ago, Holko said:

then I'll probably take up Stu's mantle as isolator (which he abandoned for this score after seeing unforeseen edits and speed changes)

I also correctly predicted over the summer that I would not have the energy and motivation to do videos after the birth my third kid.  I'm sure I'll get back to projects like these after a while.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Violin Concerto by James Newton Howard. Well, it's much much better than all of his recent film works combined. That much is certain.

Karol

I enjoyed the piece.  

17 hours ago, Fabulin said:

UP, first time with attention (inspired me to start the thread about being moved by films)

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Sooo praised around here. Edible. Pleasant. I like the main song)

E.T. The Extraterrestial (I was surprised to learn that I remember some cues despite having heard them only once, 15-16 years ago, in a film. Prompted by an interview where JW says it is his favorite and best score)

He said song.

Interstellar by Hans Zimmer

As an enthusiast and aspiring organist, I really do love what Zimmer does with this score. It's not always an easy listen, but extremely effective in the film for sure. That's why it really sticks.

What a nice - if a bit spaced-out - find. Britell has concocted an interesting mixture of earthy strings and jazz textures, a mixture that somehow recalls Benny Herrmann's urban hell 'Taxi Driver' writing from time to time, then there's raspy avantgarde saxophone improvisations recalling another favourite of mine, Mark Isham's 'Romeo is Bleeding'. It flip flops from cautious reflection (a short thematic phrase) to a bit more impressionist writing - it's from the Richter school of slow lumbering but somehow much better, more lively. Another one for this year's Top Ten.

1 hour ago, KK said:

V for Vendetta by Dario Marianelli

Brothers Grimm by Dario Marianelli

Kubo and the Two Strings by Dario Marianelli

Have you listened to his Darkest Hour and Pride and Prejudice? My personal favourites.

15 hours ago, Incanus said:

A History of Violence by Howard Shore: A strange post LotR soundtrack that really sounds like the Midwest USA of the film was actually Middle-earth. It strongly feels like big vestiges of the fantasy epic's sound and ideas were still going through the composer's mind when he scored this, from the noble horn main theme to the Ringwraith-y chase music. Despite of this it is thoughtfully constructed piece of music with just the right length album.

As a born-and-raised Midwesterner, other than the action music (although is "Run" the most Shorian action piece ever?), the score strikes me as very Midwestern.  I think it's the pacing.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (LLL release) by Edward Shearmur: While this is ultra-bombastic orchestral score that can be a wee bit exhausting listen in its complete form, I can't help but admire the skill exhibited here by the composer, whether it is the beautiful orchestrations or catchy thematic material. As @crocodile said this guy should get a chance to score a Star Wars film.

53 minutes ago, publicist said:

It sure is what people hoped Williams would sound when he returned to SW lore. Instead of AOTC.

Yeah what a shocker it was when Johnny dared to go beyond the Romantic norm of the old trilogy with the Prequels. I actually thought it was rather refreshing and must have been artistically more satisfying than just straight retread of the things JW had written 20 or 25 years prior.

But I was rather intimating that Shearmur clearly has orchestral writing chops to score a SW film in his own style.

:music: Scott of the Antarctic (Complete Score) by Ralph Vaughan Williams: The Dutton Epoch release with Martin Yates conducting and Royal Scottish National Orchestral performing is a joy and again I am amazed that despite the numerous short cues that make up this score, the album doesn't feel disjointed or a weak listening experience. The music itself is classic film scoring and I have to say that I might even prefer this original incarnation over his adaptation for Sinfonia Antartica.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Rarities) by Howard Shore: My own 70-minute-ish playlist of the alternates and theatrical versions etc. that really contains some great material, intermediate versions and OST versions in an almost alternate soundtrack album form which is a surprisingly good listening experience on its own.

:music:The Breaking of the Fellowship (Fan Credits alternate) :heart:

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yeah what a shocker it was when Johnny dared to go beyond the Romantic norm of the old trilogy with the Prequels. I actually thought it was rather refreshing and must have been artistically more satisfying than just straight retread of the things JW had written 20 or 25 years prior.

But I was rather intimating that Shearmur clearly has orchestral writing chops to score a SW film in his own style.

:music: Scott of the Antarctic (Complete Score) by Ralph Vaughan Williams: The Dutton Epoch release with Martin Yates conducting and Royal Scottish National Orchestral performing is a joy and again I am amazed that despite the numerous short cues that make up this score, the album doesn't feel disjointed or a weak listening experience. The music itself is classic film scoring and I have to say that I might even prefer this original incarnation over his adaptation for Sinfonia Antartica.

I only bought it a couple if weeks ago and listening to this on my AKG headphones is almost orgasmic. Such a wonderful release with stunning sound.

Karol

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

That would take things a bit too far. Shearmur is no Goldsmith or Goldenthal, the style copy is on high level of craftmanship, but it remains clearly a copy of someone else (not only JW).

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I only bought it a couple if weeks ago and listening to this on my AKG headphones is almost orgasmic. Such a wonderful release with stunning sound.

Too bad they didn't have the engineering power for the old Varése RSNO recordings.

17 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Have you listened to his Darkest Hour and Pride and Prejudice? My personal favourites.

You're speaking to JWFan's resident Marianelli fanboy, so of course. Those two are among his middling efforts though. Solid, but not especially remarkable.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Never heard the actual score. Cheers for the recommendation!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Nothing middling about Pride & Prejudice.  Film or score.

The film is quite good, I think. The score is not over present but really beautiful.

Carter Burwell: Music for Film - Dirk Brossé & The Brussels Philharmonic

DwsYJeo8Df-tbmGu_YcxSVvxqnvyhLaxY5TRp4-2

A very enjoyable album of Burwell's music!  A fine overview of his career.  The performances are largely excellent.  I'm of course largely a fan of his due to his work with the Coens, and there are several excellent selections from those scores, although Barton Fink was notably missing IMO (I understand not including The Hudsucker Proxy, since it's largely just a recapitulation of Khachaturian).  I was very glad to listen to the non-Coen work, which I'm not overly familiar with.  The cue from In Bruges might be favorite of the non-Coen stuff.

It's available to stream if you're interested.

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Hey, me too. It is a very sad score. The film is incredibly bad and boring. Where came the inspiration from?

It is sad because it's a Requiem for a Franchise. Without voices because, well, there is not much to be said anyway. ;)

:music: The Polar Express (short promo) and A Christmas Carol by Alan Silvestri. These two are some of his best works out there and oddly overlooked by film music fans. The latter proves he would have been a good choice to replace Williams on Harry Potter films. It has everything: bit of schmaltz, bit of horror, bit of thundering action, and plenty of humour. It's just a deliciously put together 44-minute programme. Stylistically nothing new, of course, but that's Silvestri we're talking about. The former score needs a score release, and badly.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Polar Express (short promo) and A Christmas Carol by Alan Silvestri. These two are some of his best works out there and oddly overlooked by film music fans. The latter proves he would have been a good choice to replace Williams on Harry Potter films. It has everything: bit of schmaltz, bit of horror, bit of thundering action, and plenty of humour. It's just a deliciously put together 44-minute programme. Stylistically nothing new, of course, but that's Silvestri we're talking about. The former score needs a score release, and badly.

Don't really like ACC but 'Polar Express' is nice. Though i ultimately only kept this (not counting the suite):

image.png

19 minutes ago, publicist said:

Don't really like ACC but 'Polar Express' is nice. Though i ultimately only kept this (not counting the suite):

image.png

Why don't you like ACC?

Karol

The Santa Clause - Michael Convertino

A Christmas Carol - Nick Bicat

The latter I own twice!  I bought it direct from the composer some years ago, and then I bought Quartet's edition last year.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Why don't you like ACC?

Middling. Full of christmas histronics and second rate Horner. Though i don't fault Silvestri, what i saw of this movie on some flight (really the only time when i take a chance on CGI stuff like this) was terrible.

33 minutes ago, publicist said:

In my end of the year roundup, i'm now circling in on the best this year had to offer. One contender, though slight, is Daniel Hart's

Ha, I was just playing that! Good stuff. I remember Hart well from last year's Ghost Story.

Another addition to the JM Barry Pan catalogue. Familiar, musically located between the JNH version and something Desplat or Marianelli might come up with (especially in the droll balletic woodwind dances), it's pleasant but lacking theme power. 

What's been going on for my ears the past couple days

Grizzly by Robert O. Ragland

Kidnapped by Roy Budd

Mouse Hunt by Alan Silvestri

Eloise at the Plaza by Bruce Broughton

20000 Leagues Under the Sea by John Scott

The Fury by John Williams

The Rocketeer by James Horner