What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Rambo: First Blood Part II is a superb action film!

If you mean boring by saying superb, then you're right. I cannot think of many other films that make so little out of such a great score. In fact, it's one of the worst action films ever made, because it is boooooooring as hell and not even unintentionally funny.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

If you mean boring by saying superb, then you're right. I cannot think of many other films that make so little out of such a great score. In fact, it's one of the worst action films ever made, because it is boooooooring as hell and not even unintentionally funny.

See, you're completely wrong!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You don't think Stallone was being sincere?

Of course he was. RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PT. II is not a typical "them vs us" Reagan-era action flick. It's a bit of a throwback to the '70s "paranoia" films, in which the protagonist ends up fighting his own people - this time personified by the excellent Charles Napier. 

If the Rambo films have any overarching theme, it's "Don't forget those who served you. Just because what happened didn't go your way, that's no excuse to forget".

The first two Rambo films are deceptively deep.

Of course it is. And the makers knew that exactly well. It was the price to put on the screen what they put on the screen. But let's not clutter this thread, there are - god knows - enough threads about bad 80's action movies and the lack of variety here is really driving me nuts.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

But let's not clutter this thread, there are - god knows - enough threads about bad 80's action movies and the lack of variety here is really driving me nuts.

You don't like Die Hard?

:music: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. After no Potter at all for a week. I enjoy how small and intimate this score feels. It is almost antithesis to what a typical blockbuster JW score normally would be.

Karol

8 hours ago, Obi said:

Rambo II boring? It's pure fun. Bad, but fun.

That is what I was hoping for. It turned out to be not just bad, but also boring.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

The way its presented is deliberately cartoony. 

Are you serious?

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Of course it is. And the makers knew that exactly well. It was the price to put on the screen what they put on the screen.

In case this is true, it is still a very boring and badly made  action movie.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No, I don't think so.

So, what do you think?

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. After no Potter at all for a week. I enjoy how small and intimate this score feels. It is almost antithesis to what a typical blockbuster JW score normally would be.

And that is great!

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So, what do you think?

I think Sly intended to make an action film with a message when he made Rambo 2.

Hell, the film actually ends with Rambo stating the message.

All the Rambo movies have a message.

First Blood: Vietnam traumatized and displaced veterans

Rambo: First Blood Part II: There are still POWs to help and soldiers deserve the love they've shown for their country

Rambo III: The Taliban are good guys

Rambo: The Burmese military need to die horribly

7 minutes ago, John said:

Dunkirk, by Hans Zimmer :music:

**** out of *****

First Man, by Justin Hurwitz :music:

**** and 1/2 out of *****

Good choices and I agree with your consensual ratings!

Isle of Dogs by Alexandre Desplat

I was initially taken aback by the style of this one, but it's grown on me and on this listen I embraced it.

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

A memorable theme and a few very nice cues.

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

Still great!

Creed II by Ludwig Gorannson

Good work, but not quite up there on the list.

Starting a tradition of doing a year-in-review listening session for scores from this year.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Isle of Dogs by Alexandre Desplat

I was initially taken aback by the style of this one, but it's grown on me and on this listen I embraced it.

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

A memorable theme and a few very nice cues.

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

Still great!

Creed II by Ludwig Gorannson

Good work, but not quite up there on the list.

Starting a tradition of doing a year-in-review listening session for scores from this year.

Do you use Spotify?

Explorers    by Jerry Goldsmith

Pretty good.  Some engaging material, electric and organic.  Thoroughly enjoyable and nicely structured.  Themes rather nicely done, too.

Now, the portion of the Tannhauser Overture on the soundtrack, does anyone know anything about?  Did Goldsmith conduct it?  Sounds more extroverted than any of the other recordingd I have heard.

The Age of Innocence by Elmer Bernstein

Absolutely love this one.  Excellent writing, commanding orchestrations.  A great classical score.  The End Credits is one of the best ever written.  A credit to film music.

1993 was a good vintage.

Colette by Thomas Ades

As @publicist notes, the orchestrations here are quite interesting, but the short cues leave little room for the music to breathe.  As it is, it is a score made up of rather pleasant little miniatures.  Some nice melodies, like the one in "Willy's Arrival."  Best thing about the score is that it was written by an established "classical" composer.  Hope to hear more from Ades and others like him.

The Phamtom Menace by John Williams

A lot of great material in this score.  We hear a lot of the old Williams magic, but also some striking examples of his late 90s-early 00s stylistic experimentation.  Also a great deal of Rozsa coming through here, I feel, and not just in "The Flag Parade." 

Witness by Maurice Jarre

This is an electronic score I can get behind.  Jarre brings classical structure and stylings to the world of 80s analog synths and the results are impressive.  Only a couple of action cues suffer from being rather dated.  "Building The Barn" is magnificent and, actually I prefer the synthetic film version over any orchestral ones.  My only complaint is that the love theme is not a bit more overt.  Not golden age overt, that would be ridiculous, but maybe a little more spine in the atmosphere. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

OST, or LLL?

You tube. Its my only access to the score at work

On 12/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, Brundlefly said:

First Blood Pt II is superb. Both the film and score.

I loaned by cd player to my boss and she doesn't  work on Mondays. I do have a few cds at work. 

The Tunnel by Paul Dawkins - the score from a found footage movie. I can probably count on one hand the number of people who have listened to this outside the film. I only went looking for it because the end credits music was interesting. It's a harmless background listen.

listened to huge swathes in the past couple of months but chiefly Force Awakens and Last Jedi. The former -I couldn't get enough of Rey's theme wherever it cropped up, especially during The Adbuction. The latter is growing on me but though not a bad score is probably tempered by feelings towards the film itself. 

Then onto Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom. I watched both yesterday and Parade of the Slave Children (or Slave Children's Crusade) is still an old JW favourite. The start of the piece coinciding with that shot of Indy standing there. 

Listened to Charles Gerhadt's Empire Strikes Back, more of Solo (quite fond of Flying with Chewie, the music accompanying the arrival at the planet in particular), It's a Wonderful Life (Tiomkin), Miracle on 34th Street (both the '47 and '94 versions, Case Dismissed in the latter is a definite favourite) and a few others inbetween. 

:music: Sleepers by John Williams. It's one of those scores most people would overlook but in fact it might be one of the most unique works in Williams' career. I am particularly fond of the childlike, but somewhat very tortured, main theme which perfectly encapsulates the abused abuse subject of this film. It's a brilliant piece of composition - innocent and warm... and terribly lonely and uneasy. I also love the Saying the Rosary cue as well as The Football Game. The synth work might seem a bit of a cliche of certain period of film scoring but in Williams' catalogue in helps to establish this work something else. In fact it makes for a perfect companion piece to Presumed Innocent. It's a dark dark score...but quite close to my heart.

Oh and the album's sound quality is excellent.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Adventures of Tintin and War Horse. 2011 was an excellent year for John Williams fans. Both albums are hugely enjoyable.

Karol

Couldn’t agree more. War Horse is actually one of my favorite scores from Willaims’s output!