What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

14 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Black Panther by Ludwig Goransson

A strong effort, quite a bit more sophisticated than the usual Marvel stuff.  Traditional instrumentation is integrated quite nicely into the overall orchestral general musical texture.  Goransson keeps your interest, or at least mine, which is not a small task with this type of score.  The tracks where he combines orchestral layering with a hip hop beat are kind of interesting and might not be out of place in, say  a James Bond setting perhaps.  

Blackkklansman by Terrance Blanchard

A pleasant surprise this score.  Eclectic material here, some orchestral (woodwinds!), some funk, some bluesy stuff, but it all works together quite nicely.  Some passages with E. Guitar really gave me some Kamen vibes.  Not bad stuff at all.

If Beale Street Could Talk by Nicholas Britell

A reserved, well-crafted score.  Smart writing, for solo cello especially. (is it Britell's wife playing?)  Britell plays things a little safe, certainly, but seems to know what he is doing.

Prediction - Oscar winner

Isle Of Dogs by Alexandre Desplat

Desplat's trademark quirky stylings with some Japanese percussive flair.  A nice effort, befitting the film, and, as most of Desplat's works, standing on its own, off to the side, to be appreciated by a discerning crowd.  

Mary Poppins Returns by Marc Shaiman

Why was this nominated?  For some reason, the score really grates on my nerves.  Rather cliched, by the numbers. Not really interesting thematically.  Actually dense, lacking in clarity with regards to the orchestrations.  Not as much traditional as hackneyed.  About as charming as a man yelling on a street corner "I'm charming people!  Love me!." 

Great review Steve. Gave me some insight into Klansman and Poppins before I listen to them. 

I really enjoyed the other three, Black Panther, Beale Street, and Isle of Dogs. So unique and interesting! 

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri by Carter Burwell

The Old Man and the Gun by Daniel Hart

In the past few months I've come to like many of the scores of three composers: Carter Burwell, Daniel Hart, and Nicholas Brittel. These three make up my "second layer" of composers, some slightly under the radar film composers that aren't quite up there with the others, but still put out quality work. Today, it was Three Billboards and The Old Man and the Gun.

The former, composed by Carter Burwell, almost takes the form of a contemporary western score, making use of the guitar, piano, mandolin, and bass without ever really bringing in the full orchestral sound. It also evokes a country style, painting the picture of a meandering yet lively still lifestyle. A variety of songs are also included on the album, taking up half the time roughly.

The latter, by Daniel Hart, is a very easy going swing/slow jazz score. With a decent theme and relaxed material, it's another great one to    kind of put in the background. The style reminds me of the Vince Guaraldi Trio very much, and if a composer is going to go outside the realm of standard orchestral scoring, this is right up my alley.

To conclude:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

"Nothing special, but still holds up for three stars." - Jerry

The Old Man and the Gun 

"A score at ease and a refreshing listen. Three and a half stars." - Jerry

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams: Devilishly fun from start to finish.

Drag Me to Hell by Christoher Young: While the main theme is quite catchy and excellent there is perhaps a tad too much of loud music concrete here to make for a pleasant listen even if you are in the mood for scarier horror stuff.

:music:Avatar by James Horner

Yeah decent but I am rather surprised how well it works despite the endless plethora of self-quotations (and other borrowings) contained in this score.

38 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I was really surprised when a literal lift from Gladiator popped out somewhere towards the end of the film.

Karol

Yeah Gathering All The Na'vi Clans For Battle track had more than a little temp-track written all over it. I wonder if Cameron pushed it?

23 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Who the hell listens to a score called Drag Me to Hell expecting something pleasant? 

Well perhaps "easiers on the ears" would be more like it. Young doesn't really hold back on throwing screeching horror effects on you in this one. Very effective but gets grating after a while.

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Young's score is a lot of fun. We really need more of stuff like this. I'm looking forward to his Pet Semetary this year.

Karol

They are remaking Pet Semetary? Well Young is certainly the one to score it.

Although I like his big stuff like Hellraiser or even Drag Me to Hell, recently I have been preferring his more lyrical quieter side as when he is demanded this more thoughtful music his writing really shines in a different way compared to his masterful meldings of violent orchestral effects and melody for his action and horror output.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well perhaps "easiers on the ears" would be more like it. Young doesn't really hold back on throwing screeching horror effects on you in this one. Very effective but gets grating after a while.

The title is “Drag Me to Hell”, what’d you think you were gonna get? If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!

Besides, you’ve got the love theme!

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

Two perfect choices for this grey winter.

Cinema Serenade

The Hollywood Sound (with the LSO)

More more more romantic mood please!

The Gershwin album with Joshua Bell

Cinema Serenade II

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Rosewood

Karol

Both of those are quite excellent my friend. From the different ends of stylistic spectrum but oh so excellent.

:music: Rosewood

Oh I would really urge you to give the third Potter a chance.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mikko!

:music: The Pagemaster and Balto. Oh yes, yes! Right there, Jimmy! That's it! Keep going!

Karol

7 hours ago, Ii2 said:

Superman

by John Williams .           DAH.

An iconic main melody and flowing love theme give this score my thumbs up.

***out of****

The OST? The expanded Rhino or the blue box?

Such failed appreciation.  

I was all by myself at work so I listened to Goldsmiths Capricorn One and Twilight Zone the Movie.

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Empire Strikes Back. Still the best sequel score ever.

Karol

Indeed.

Probably the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration but then again all three have great selections and suites I love. A tough choice.

Azkaban was such a revelation that I decided to get rid of all semi-expansions, bootlegs, rips, fanedits and all of every SW and Indy - I haven't listened to them in full for a while anyway - and I'll only listen to the OG OST programs now until Mike finally gives them a proper official treatment.

11 hours ago, John said:

Scarface, by Giorgio Moroder

Dated, but overall a really fun listen. Fantastic main title theme. 

**** and 1/2 out of *****

I'm a fan of Moroder's work, for the cinema. AMERICAN GIGOLO, is good, and I'll stick my neck out and say that MIDNIGHT EXPRESS fully deserved its Oscar.

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration 

John Williams Conducts Music from Star Wars

John Williams Greatest Hits 1969-1999

Listened to these albums yesterday for JW's birthday, plus some assorted hits not covered by these compilations.

Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith

Eclectic, primal, quirky, and effective all at the same time. Alright.

Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith

Triumphant. One of my favourite listens of the week. Nice main title, solid balance throughout the album. A+

On Her Majesty's Secret Service by John Barry

Stellar love theme, reprises of all that wonderful Bond material. Ranks second to only Thunderball in my Bond/Barry rankings. 

I've now listened to OHMSS, A View to a Kill, Thunderball, From Russia With Love, and the two Newman Bonds. Monty Norman's Dr. No will be next, and then I'll continue with the Barry scores before swinging by Arnold, Hamlisch, etc.

Hey all been awhile since I posted.

I've been listening to the McNeely's "Shadows of the Empire" score on repeat lately. Don't know what it is, but I'm enthralled by this score. It's weirdly a standalone Star Wars piece, as not much of it was used in the video game. Love how McNeely put his own spin on a Star Wars score that doesn't mimic William's style too often and goes in different directions, unlike other Star Wars composes *cough Gordy Haab cough cough*

I've also been listening to the "Rescuers Down Under" score by Bruce Broughton, because for some reason I find the theme to be ultra comforting, but it's also one of the best examples of a multi stage piece that loops into and builds on itself beautifully.

12 hours ago, YoYoMama said:

Hey all been awhile since I posted.

I've been listening to the McNeely's "Shadows of the Empire" score on repeat lately. Don't know what it is, but I'm enthralled by this score. It's weirdly a standalone Star Wars piece, as not much of it was used in the video game. Love how McNeely put his own spin on a Star Wars score that doesn't mimic William's style too often and goes in different directions, unlike other Star Wars composes *cough Gordy Haab cough cough*

I've also been listening to the "Rescuers Down Under" score by Bruce Broughton, because for some reason I find the theme to be ultra comforting, but it's also one of the best examples of a multi stage piece that loops into and builds on itself beautifully.

Shadows wasn't a score, it's a concert work looslely based on the Novel/storyline.