What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

29 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Truly all you need! The performance and aural story that album creates is absolutely tops, one of Williams' moodiest and broodingi...est scores.

So glad the LLL includes the OST.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Truly all you need! The performance and aural story that album creates is absolutely tops, one of Williams' moodiest and broodingi...est scores.

I like the way this guy thinks.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Yo, I've been wondering where you've been! 

Sorry, chum! Been in more of a gaming mood than music mood, so haven’t had much to say here. Especially as me and my little brother have finally been hanging out with each other for the first time since I moved out now that we’ve both been in love with CTR. This game brought two brothers to finally bond again, it seems!

CA111B2A-760B-4A2B-B24A-39578D44223D.gif

The Twelve Choruses by Miklós Rózsa: I just recently came upon this album at Intrada's site and after hearing the samples purchased it. The programme consists of 12 choir pieces from Ben-Hur and King of Kings for chorus and organ and very much spotlights the composer's religioso melodies from these two biblical epics and this sacred quality is of course enhanced by the ensemble. The singing and arrangements are excellent and the acoustics of the Winchester cathedral are wonderful and the close to 50 minute running time is just perfect. It is interesting to hear some of the composer's most famous melodies (like the Christ theme from Ben-Hur) translated into choral guise and how well they work when set to lyrics (available at Intrada site). Highly recommended to all Rózsa enthusiasts out there.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Intrada release) by Michael Kamen: This new release actually further elevated this Kamen swashbuckler in my ears with several previously unreleased and engaging pieces of music. While the main horn tune is emblematic to the whole score there are many little details and melodic flourishes that are fleshed out compared to the 50-minute score presentation of the original soundtrack album. 

42 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Twelve Choruses by Miklós Rózsa: I just recently came upon this album at Intrada's site and after hearing the samples purchased it. The programme consists of 12 choir pieces from Ben-Hur and King of Kings for chorus and organ and very much spotlights the composer's religioso melodies from these two biblical epics and this sacred quality is of course enhanced by the ensemble. The singing and arrangements are excellent and the acoustics of the Winchester cathedral are wonderful and the close to 50 minute running time is just perfect. It is interesting to hear some of the composer's most famous melodies (like the Christ theme from Ben-Hur) translated into choral guise and how well they work when set to lyrics (available at Intrada site). Highly recommended to all Rózsa enthusiasts out there.

Then you should check out Kunzel's album, arranged for choir and orchestra, which also includes a suite from Quo Vadis. It's one of the few Kunzel albums that I find to have excellent performances and interpretations.

Spellbound (Intrada re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa

Lost in Space by Bruce Broughton

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

The Green Mile (T. Newman) - I can't get much into the more whimsical parts of the score, but the more dramatic parts of the score are phenomenal.  "Coffey on the Mile" is a truly remarkable piece of music.

There's something about the melodic pacing that really throws me off.  The phrasing never seems to resolve in the way I expect.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then you should check out Kunzel's album, arranged for choir and orchestra, which also includes a suite from Quo Vadis. It's one of the few Kunzel albums that I find to have excellent performances and interpretations.

It's ok, bit of a misnomer on the album title

I just knew the old experimental Goldsmith, the one I don't like. His "modern" scores seems better for me.

Ah that's because in 1989/1990 there was just one Saturn awards ceremony, my mistake, I'm please to remove "that"!

FIXED!

:music: The Three Musketeers by Michael Kamen. Prince of Thieves might be better known score but this is probably a more enjoyable swashbuckler from the composer. Feels fuller and musically more rewarding.The merging of period elements with good old Golden Age adventure works very well. I'd like to hear an expanded album someday.

Karol

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Three Musketeers by Michael Kamen. Prince of Thieves might be better known score but this is probably a more enjoyable swashbuckler from the composer. Feels fuller and musically more rewarding.The merging of period elements with good old Golden Age adventure works very well. I'd like to hear an expanded album someday.

Karol

I have to revisit the score as I don't have any recollection of it.

Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones by John Williams

Lincoln by John Williams

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

War of the World by John Williams

Young Sherlock Holmes by Bruce Broughton

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate by Austin Wintory

A very pretty mixture of reflective romantic cues with a strong, long-lined theme, quasi-'Thelma & Louise' e-guitar stylings (or Pink Floyd, depends on what your frame of reference is) and a few heavier drama moments. It's not the usual Morricone sound for sure (it lacks the minimalist repetitions mostly) and the long, developed piano'n'string theme lingers in your mind longer than it should ('Una Luce Spenta' is almost Horneresque with its pleading lament). It's one of the recent scores i like to return to, even when it's content is not overly innovative or unusual but somehow it clicks (Tornatore always brings out the best in EM).

15 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

Raders of the Lost Ark by John Williams 

Temple of Doom by John Williams 

Last Crusade by John Williams 

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams 

The Force is strong with this one.

Creation by Christopher Young

Brothers Grimm by Dario Marianelli

Bless the Child by Christopher Young

Hellraiser II by Christopher Young

Minority Report by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Harry Potter 5. I can't believe how bad this score really is! My two-year break from it did not help.

Really? I think it is an okay score. Third best non JW HP score in my opinion. 

The most I can remember about 8 are the generic ooh-ing woman (Lily's Theme) and the incredibly generic and passionless battle ostinato thing. Oh, and that kinda nondescript action piece for the Fiendfyre. 5 has multiple great cues in a sea of personalityless bleh. 4 is the only non-Williams I'd listen to, and would also love, even if we include Unfantastic Beasts in the running.

Seven (brief) Shore/Cronenberg albums. Ah, the brooding!

eXistenZ

Eastern Promises

A History of Violence

The Fly

Dead Ringers

Spider

Naked Lunch

Karol

48 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Happened to flip on John's WOTW.  Maybe it's the Saturday evening joint talking but this score is fucking incredible.  Some serious rhythmic/metrical slickness here.

It's Friday.

After my famous Spotify "The Best Film Scores of the '80s" compilation should I go for a compilation about the '70s or the '90s?

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

After my famous Spotify "The Best Film Scores of the '80s" compilation should I go for a compilation about the '70s or the '90s?

Fuck the 90s. Stick with the 70s.

JAWS, SUPERMAN, TAKING OF PELHAM 123, CE3K, THE WIND AND THE LION, ST:TMP, and that's just six.

What 90s score could compare with any of these?