What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

News from the Balfe utility shop with a guaranteed absence of sharp edges or musical ambition. Mission accomplished, as usual. I wouldn't have bothered weren't it for the name 'Ang Lee' on the package but then i read on and read 'Will Smith' and knew the beat. 

raw

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Now THAT'S an action score.  Holy hell!

The Hijacking is one of my favourite Goldsmith tracks, the way it builds and builds and that moment when Air Force One is veering across the airfield. 

--

I dug out my Superman discs (Rhino) and realise it's one I do so every few months and I point it out because I see now that it makes it sound as new. Some soundtracks I can do this with and it doesn't seem to affect things but this does and how. Planet Krypton just sounds fantastically epic but rising to the top in my book is The Flying Sequence. I don't know why but it ticks all the boxes. It even on this occasion move me a great deal. 

Certain moments, small musical moments, rattle around in my head. The Trip to Earth makes me think of Yoda's Theme somehow, similarly during The Destruction of Krypton a few seconds sound (to my tonedeaf ears) from the end titles for Jaws but in Chasing Rockets 1.20 to about 1.24, that particular sound seems fantastic. Coming as it does before the theme. 

Otherwise I'm revisiting my Battlestar Galactica stuff a lot this past couple of weeks. Saga of a Star World mostly. 

I'm quite partial to Radek's Death, the choir as he crumples to the ground. Or much of Under Attack and the music when Ford is faced with the fact the damage is so bad (in No Way to Land) by the Marine pilot. Great action score as you say and to think Goldsmith did it in the time he had available is amazing. 

I haven't seen the film in 22 years so have no memory of anything specific that happens in the film or what any of this music syncs to.  But boy is it good music!

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen the film in 22 years so have no memory of anything specific that happens in the film or what any of this music syncs to.  But boy is it good music!

I, er, have seen it far too often. :blush:

My complete edit for Air Force One using the Deluxe Edition and a couple of cues from the boot.  I am really glad to finally have the full score to this film.  One of my absolute favorites and one of my favorite Goldsmith scores.

:music: The Last Temptation of Christ (Passion) by Peter Gabriel. With all the flood of "world music" clichés flooding our cinema in the 00's, which of course quickly got old, I am surprised how well this album is holding up. 30 years later it still remains the finest example of this kind of a score. And a damn fine album too.

Karol

Vertical Limit by my boy JNH.

Pretty nice action score from a 2000 movie, which means it's very similar to his scores for the Kevin Costner adventure flicks (Waterworld and The Postman) and the Disney animations (Dinosaur and Atlantis) from that era. Not bad, but a relatively minor entry on his curriculum.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:31 AM, publicist said:

News from the Balfe utility shop with a guaranteed absence of sharp edges or musical ambition. Mission accomplished, as usual. I wouldn't have bothered weren't it for the name 'Ang Lee' on the package but then i read on and read 'Will Smith' and knew the beat. 

raw

Lol this crap is an Ang Lee film?

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Vertical Limit by my boy JNH.

Pretty nice action score from a 2000 movie, which means it's very similar to his scores for the Kevin Costner adventure flicks (Waterworld and The Postman) and the Disney animations (Dinosaur and Atlantis) from that era. Not bad, but a relatively minor entry on his curriculum.

Wowww... what else can we expect from the Year 2000?? Imagine the possibilities...

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End.

It's decent.  Still has that pumping Zimmer style most of the time.  I don't hate Zimmer's music, it's just that I haven't grown to like it.  After Gladiator, At World's End is probably Zimmer's best score.

Psycho by Bernard Herrmann: Masterful terror and suspense from the master of suspense.

Hellboy by Marco Beltrami: I think this is the composer's best score. Just terrific on all accounts.

6 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

The Lion King <At World's End <Gladiator

Yeah.  I right about agree with that.

The Dark Crystal - Trevor Jones

Pretty great and unique fantasy score from the 80s!

Wonder Woman - Rupert Gregson-Williams

A nice mix of HGW's The Chronicles of Narnia and Zimmer's power anthems from the 90s and early 2000s. As a fan of RCP's music from that era, I am pleased that RGW is still writing on this style these days.

Count Your Blessings (1959) - Franz Waxman

Wow wow, this was the real hidden gem for me in Intrada's Franz Waxman Collection.  A dripping, grand melodrama score with Waxman's incredible orchestrations.  He was at the absolute top of his game in the late 50s.  Throughout the score, I love the way he brings different solo instruments to the fore before they recede back into the orchestra, taking turns.  The orchestral colors you hear in outstanding cues like "Charles is Back" and "Sigi / Sigi Can’t Sleep"; all film composers should bow to the master.

A must hear for any Waxman fan!

Yasunori Mitsuda - Chrono Cross

I've been checking out bits and pieces of this one more and more, and it's really making me want to play the game!  They should port it to modern systems!

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Far From Home (OST)

The (current) best score of 2019.  Bring on a session leak, please!

Yasunori Mitsuda & Others - Xenoblade Chronicles II (OST, my own much shorter playlist)

I never ever get tired of all this brilliant music

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada)

Excellent!

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Sommernachtskonzert 2010 - featuring Star Wars Main Title, Princess Leia's Theme, and The Imperial March, by, as the liner notes say, "the uncrowned king of Hollywood music".

They've probably never heard of Jerrald King.

The Happening by James Newton Howard. This score seems to be considered one of the weaker entries in the Shyamalan/Howard run. Having listened to the album very carefully earlier today, I'm not quite sure whether this is true. Yes, it doesn't have as strong of a stylistic hook as, say, Signs or The Village but the also feels like it adds something to the film that wasn't necessarily required - a sense of stark beauty and elegance to pair it with the Herrmanesque suspense. It is a quite a nicely assembled album as well. For me, this is as good as Howard's music gets and might be my favourite score album of his.

:music: A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Karol

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Far From Home (OST)

The (current) best score of 2019.  Bring on a session leak, please!

An excellent score indeed. I loved the new themes for Mysterio, SHIELD and the Peter-MJ love theme (better than the Liz's theme from Homecoming) and it has some excellent action music, my favorite being the gargantuan 7-minute World’s Worst Water Feature. 

I guess we won't have to wait for a session leak, almost all of Gia's blockbuster scores leaks at some point.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Happening by James Newton Howard. This score seems to be considered one of the weaker entries in the Shyamalan/Howard run. Having listened to the album very carefully earlier today, I'm not quite sure whether this is true. Yes, it doesn't have as strong of a stylistic hook as, say, Signs or The Village but the also feels like it adds something to the film that wasn't necessarily required - a sense of stark beauty and elegance to pair it with the Herrmanesque suspense. It is a quite a nicely assembled album as well. For me, this is as good as Howard's music gets and might be my favourite score album of his.

:music: A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Karol

I think this might be the most Herrmannesque of JHN/Shyamalan collaborations in its stark and dark style and the building suspense and dread which is released beautifully in the finale of the score. The end credits feel like a mini concert work which is always a plus, not just a rehash of material but new exploration of it in lengthier form.

While I find there are many more satisfying JNH albums this is one in the great series of JNH/Collaborations which sadly ended with The Last Airbender (After Earth was just about as generic as they could get). JNH had almost Goldsmithian knack for digging for something conceptually engaging and musically satisfying from the oftentimes silly Shyamalan films as they did get progressively worse. You can say what you will about the director but he was a really good musical collaborator with the composer to inspire and trust JNH to so strongly support his films. While you might not hear it so strongly in the Sixth Sense the scores quickly get better movie after movie.