What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: The Mandalorian by Ludwig Goransson It's my first listen of the actual album (or 8 albums, rather). I really enjoyed the score in context and I'm also enjoying it away from the show. It's actually a stroke of genius not to emulate John Williams because, quite frankly, no one can do that very well. It's interesting that the orchestral writing in this feels more like Bill Conti anyway which is an interesting trend now with Goransson's style. He must have over-studied his work while working on two (very good) Creed scores. In any case, it's a breath of fresh air in the SW universe to have people like Gorannson and Powell put their own modern stamp on things. It's actually pretty good music all the way through. I don't think you necessarily need 196 minutes of it on album but it's good we have such a large selection to create our own playlists. I'm not saying this is some sort of masterpiece but it's an example of really distinctive and intelligent scoring for a contemporary TV series, something that is a bit of a rarity these days.

Earlier listened to Kingdom of Heaven and Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams earlier today. These two are his best works.

And also listened to selections from two strongest Marvel scores: Thor: Ragnarok (Mark Mothersbaugh) and Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson). Definitely the two most consistently enjoyable and distinctive scores in the franchise. I might like individual elements of some other scores better (say, Elfman's Avengers theme) but these satisy me in their entirety for the most part. I'm still not a fan of Thor's theme in this. But then, all Thor themes are weak soup. I wasn't a fan of the Black Pants' theme either at first but the idea behind it actually makes perfect sense.

Karol

@crocodile I highly reccomend Holk's playlist in the Mando score thread for a thoughtfully presented summation of the highlights of Season 1. 

Music From The Edge

A refreshingly unique approach from John Corigliano, superbly integrating orchestral techniques to create a sense of individuality that runs from start to finish. The mood spectrum that sways from the calm and lyrical to the dangerous and apprehensive is fully covered here, and in no shortage of intriguing modes. The obscure rhythms and stabs of the action music is almost unheard of in Hollywood's current musical landscape, and, for me, calls back to Goldsmith in some respects. Quite pleased that this is available to listen to, being a rejected score and all. Anticipate returning to this in the near future!

Kong: Skull Island 

Quite a sharp contrast from Corigliano's intelligent individualism, yet when aided and abetted by a half hour "90s Varese"-style playlist reccomended by Disco Stu, Jackman's score becomes concise and therefore fairly listenable. Modern blockbuster bombast only goes so far, and in this case the limit is 30 minutes. 

Maleficent - James Newton Howard

Just an impressive score. The thematic material isn't as cleverly digestible, but Howard really captures the mood through the underscore. It's magical, sweeping, and bombastic. The triumphant blasts of Maleficent's theme, especially in "Queen of Faerieland" and "Maleficent Flies" are some of his best writing to date.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - Geoff Zanelli

Zanelli does his best to channel Howard, even bringing back at least two of his motifs. He doesn't deviate from the tone and style one iota, except for his themes for the Dark Fey and Queen Ingrith. It's not as overwhelming in terms of orchestral volume but it's a nice complement to Howard's work. 

7 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

@crocodile I highly reccomend Holk's playlist in the Mando score thread for a thoughtfully presented summation of the highlights of Season 1. 

Thanks for the plug, Jerry! You get double rations today.

17 hours ago, Holko said:

Thanks for the plug, Jerry! You get double rations today.

I made up the playlist in Spotify as best as I could. Really enjoyed listening, thanks man!

:music: Legends of the Fall. Because I'm in the mood for 98 minutes of prime schmaltz.

Karol - who just realised it's his 28,000th post!

Let's see what was it in the past month or so?

The Adventures of Robin Hood (rerecording)

BTTF1-3

The Bride of Frankenstein (rerecording)

Monsignor

Far and Away

The Post

STTMP

Yeah, roughly that.

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Despite one blatant Stravinsky steal, one of Sarde's best and - as usual - very complex and impeccably played by the LSO, combining folk elements with different 20th century orchestral idioms.

I Stravinsky lifts can be a bit distracting, but I too found this to be a very intriguing score. He does well in adapting existing works, let's say, in the vein of what he also did with L'Ours

Just now, crocodile said:

:music: The Fury. Isn't the LSO-performed OST album one of the finest in Williams' career? It's magical.

Karol

It's great, and the score recording is equally bad in performance.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's great, and the score recording is equally bad in performance.

I don't mind the score version. And you just reminded me to watch the film with isolated score. Had my Blu-ray for years and never got around to watching it.

:music: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Complete score. You know what, ignoring a few dead spots, it is a very fine score. I think it gets unfairly dismissed by many people.

Karol

50 minutes ago, crocodile said:

And you just reminded me to watch the film with isolated score. Had my Blu-ray for years and never got around to watching it.

Neither have I - and I like the film more than most people do, and genuinely admire a lot about it.

48 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Neither have I - and I like the film more than most people do, and genuinely admire a lot about it.

I think it's a really fun movie, very stylish and pretty silly but in an enjoyable earnest way.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it's a really fun movie, very stylish and pretty silly but in an enjoyable earnest way.

Even if you hate De Palma's movies you can always appreciate masterful craftsmanship that goes into those - camera work, editing, music. Even his worst movies are extremely proficient. Usually, it is only scripts let them down. But then, does every single film need to treat itself seriously?

Karol

Bear McCreary - Rim of the World (2019)

Not sure why I procrastinated on checking this out, but I'm glad I've listened to it now.  Pretty darn enjoyable score.

It's cues like this that keep me an active card-carrying McCreary fan.  Check it out!  No really, listen to this right now.

The instrumental creativity Broughton bestowed on this Hughes turkey is staggering. You need an affinity for elaborate comedy scores - it's kind of Broughton's Home Alone 2 - with all the scherzos, waltzes, flute runs etc., but the excellent craftmanship is undeniable. The trio of 'The Construction Site', 'Veeko's Next' (with a cute quote of the Imperial march) and 'Quitting Time' is the highlight.

:music:The Matrix by Don Davis. Yeah, it is the best one. As much as I like the operatic fireworks of the two sequels the first score is brilliant in its laser-sharp focus. We need a definite release of this now that both album appear to be out of print.

Karol

On 5/15/2020 at 9:55 AM, Disco Stu said:

Bear McCreary - Rim of the World (2019)

Not sure why I procrastinated on checking this out, but I'm glad I've listened to it now.  Pretty darn enjoyable score.

It's cues like this that keep me an active card-carrying McCreary fan.  Check it out!  No really, listen to this right now.

I've listened to this 3 more times since Friday.  I'd say it's the most criminally underrated/under-listened-to score of the last couple years.  This is immediately one of my 3 or 4 favorite McCreary scores.

As usual, his blog post on the score is helpful and fun as a listening guide: https://www.bearmccreary.com/#blog/blog/films/rim-of-the-world/

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've listened to this 3 more times since Friday.  I'd say it's the most criminally underrated/under-listened-to score of the last couple years.  This is immediately one of my 3 or 4 favorite McCreary scores.

This doesn't have a physical release, does it?