What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Matinee (Jerry Goldsmith) - What a great, fun score. Perfect length album, delightful, whimsical themes and appropriately silly when needed.

The Huntsman: Winter's War (JNH) - One of those scores that seems quite enjoyable at the time/in places but by the end it rather passed me by. Perhaps I'm missing something.

The Special Relationship (Alexandre Desplat) - Enjoyably quirky in places for a drama score.

The Willoughbys (Mark Mothersbough) - All over the place (in a good way). Can't remember much specifically, but lots of fun.

Shane: A Tribute To Victor Young (NZSO Kaufman) - Really great album, which is annoyingly difficult to find (the Newman Kaufman compilation is relatively easy to obtain and equally good). Must admit that I don't know much Young, but this seems like as good a place to start. Going to give Around the World in 80 Days a spin later (which I've owned for years). Side note... listening to Counterpoint, Radio 3's music quiz and the answer was "Around the World in 80 Days" (unrelated to film music, indeed I don't recall the context) and the contestant could remember the entire title aside from the number of days... they guessed "14 days". Erm...

The Prisoner of Zenda (Henry Mancini) - recent acquisition. Fun and tuneful as usual for Mancini, but not sure it'll surpass the Newman score. I've not seen either film, but assume the tone for the Mancini scored version is quite different!

Airport '77 (John Cacavas) - Not as good as Newman's original, seems closer to the dour end of JW's disaster movie scores but without the good main theme. Probably needs another listen. Looking forward to the Schifrin Concorde album.

Now playing: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Not sure anything needs to be said on this one...

Elessar! Elessar! Tellin i Chîr Gondor! :devil::lovethis::w00t::woop:

It's 4:30 AM, I shouldn't be listening to this cue this loud and singing along!

Interstellar

Jurassic Park

Memoirs of a Geisha: Suite for Cello and Orchestra

The Witches of Eastwick

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Interstellar

Jurassic Park

Memoirs of a Geisha: Suite for Cello and Orchestra

The Witches of Eastwick

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Karol

Karol, what album is the Memoirs of a Geisha suite from? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

what album is the Memoirs of a Geisha suite from? Thanks!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003JH0LGE/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003O3MWYC/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0129YBQTI/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B017I4ZCGW/

Just now, Jay said:

That's a different suite

IIRC, its movements of the same suite arranged for just Piano and Cello.

Now 'Gone with the Wind' is gone we have to do with the hopefully less racist 'Raintree County', MGM's ill-fated 1957 update of their own monster success. John Green's sumptuous score isn't to fault for its failure, with cues like 'Johnny's Search for the Raintree' featuring the kind of rich Hollywood americana that synonymous with 'film music' (as much as Steiner's more viennese approach).

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

That's super cool of you, thanks! Will make a nice change of pace from my current listening, Tadlow's terrific Sodom and Gomorrah (Rozsa) recording.

12 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That's super cool of you, thanks! Will make a nice change of pace from my current listening, Tadlow's terrific Sodom and Gomorrah (Rozsa) recording.

I can never listen to those big Rozsa scores in one go. His music is so elaborate and intricate, and often quite heavy, that I often need to experience it in smaller chunks. It's just too much!

:music: Lawrence of Arabia. It's not bad, this.

Karol

23 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I can never listen to those big Rozsa scores in one go. His music is so elaborate and intricate, and often quite heavy, that I often need to experience it in smaller chunks. It's just too much!

:music: Lawrence of Arabia. It's not bad, this.

Karol

The ONLY one I listen to is EL CID.

good stuff...

The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Plenty of people who know more about film scores than I do consider this a masterpiece. While I personally don't think it's up there, it's still a good score with some pretty good themes.

ONLY a ' white supremacist' could not love this music😊

20200628_115901_HDR.jpg

On 6/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, Romão said:

I love the first two Dragon scores, but I have yet to connect to the third one, which is strange, I usually I have no problem connecting with John Powell in this sort of idiom

You're not alone.

It's too conservative. He needed to be bold and modern like the first two- which were traditional in their own right.

Hey , 2 out of three ain't bad!

On 6/8/2020 at 9:04 PM, Matt C said:

Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith

"The Trees" is one of the finest cues he's ever written. Just heavenly.

I thought John Barry wrote that?

20200610_092348(1).jpg

Minority Report Expanded

On 6/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Karol, what album is the Memoirs of a Geisha suite from? Thanks!

Time to make some adverts for my incredible complete and comprehensive discography.

Hey new jwfans, everything...yes EVERYTHING is here!!! :cheer:

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

I've linked to the YouTube audio for each of the tracks I recommend sampling.

The Personal Life of David Copperfield by Christopher Willis

As it turns out, 2017's The Death of Stalin was no one-time fluke. Willis' most recent team-up with Iannucci draws upon a number of inspirations (no Shostakovich, sorry), ranging from Adams' familiar orchestral energy (see End Credits) to occasional shades of Herrmann's romantic side (see Meeting Dora). Wonderful solo violin at work here too. If 2020 indeed continues to be short on film scores, let alone quality efforts in that regard, you can already safely mark this down at the top of your list for this year. If you're skeptical about trying a more "under-the-radar" composer, you may like the score if you enjoy David's Writingsmy recommended sampler cue.

Sicario by Johann Johannsson 

As far as what caught me on this heavy sound design album, might be worth checking out Desert Music for a legitimate melody, and Convoy for the sake of it's technique.

Homecoming by Emile Mosseri (@Disco Stu)

Kind of surprised I'm the first to catch this, given that Mosseri's score to The Last Black Man in San Francisco was one of the best of last year. Much of that sound carries over into the score for the second season of this Amazon original series, blending with some very different colours. Recommend trying Leonard's Theme and Redwoods to get a feel for it. 

More fun stuff, many being new discoveries for me :music::up:

Le samourai by Francois De Roubaix

Deux hommes dans la vie by Phillipe Sarde

Guilty by Suspicion by James Newton Howard

The Jayhawkers by Jerome Moross

The Shadow by Jerry Goldsmith

The Perfect Storm by James Horner

Krull by James Horner (with @Holko)

Dial M For Murder by Dimitri Tiomkin (Intrada rerecording)

A little bit of romance in this crazy world :nopity:

Cinema Serenade - JW & Itzhak Perlman

Gershwin fantasy - JW & Joshua Bell

Now, a little travel in 1990...

• The E.T. Adventure (Music Inspired by the Universal Studios Themed Park) (E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - 35th Anniversary Remastered Edition, 2017)
  • Always: Title Theme (The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration, 1991)
  • End Credits (from Stanley & Iris)
  • End Credits (from Presumed Innocent)
  • Main Title from Home Alone ("Somewhere in My Memory")
  • Celebrate Discovery (American Journey, 2002)

We've discussed that before.

Stanley and Iris is a 1990 score. And yes depending on the month a movie was released, the composition or the recording occured the previous year.

Give me a break.

Homecoming S2 by Emile Mosseri

It sometimes draws a little too heavily from the Spitfire Audio school of skiddish textures for skiddish textures' sake, but for the most part I liked it. Mosseri has a voice of his own, and to hear it shine in a TV series no less, is something that should only be encouraged.

1 hour ago, The River (Fal) said:

Sleepers - John Williams

So glad I got this score a while back due to the "hype" from:

@Romão

@Incanus

You're welcome! :) 

The Mummy Returns (Intrada) by Alan Silvestri

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (LLL) by Edward Shearmur

10 hours ago, KK said:

Homecoming S2 by Emile Mosseri

It sometimes draws a little too heavily from the Spitfire Audio school of skiddish textures for skiddish textures' sake, but for the most part I liked it. Mosseri has a voice of his own, and to hear it shine in a TV series no less, is something that should only be encouraged.

LAST BLACK MAN ...was incredible .Its in my TOP TEN of the Decade .

No CD 😰

I assume this is download only?

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

Air Force One (Deluxe Edition) by Jerry Goldsmith

Unfinished/American Journey by John Williams

Lincoln (OST+FYC combo) by John Williams

:music: The River by John Williams

On 7/2/2020 at 1:06 PM, The River (Fal) said:

Sleepers - John Williams

So glad I got this score a while back due to the "hype" from:

@Romão

@Incanus

Good to know. Peio did the same for me. It's a gem

Return of the Jedi (Demastered Edition)
E.T. (1982 album)
Azkaban (the OST)
The Last Jedi (the OST)

Endor - Wookieepedia - Wikia

:music: Ready Player One. Some of the cues don't do much for me but the sheer majority is quite enjoyable. Unlike the scores Silvestri composed for Marvel films this one actually feels like it has some sort of narrative which makes for a decent listen on album.

Karol

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams: Revisited this during the weekend. It remains such a beautiful and powerful amd melodic score with interesting Far Eastern stylistic influences although nearly always translated through the Western symphony orchestra, just like Williams did later with Memoirs of a Geisha.

The album is superbly put together with a coherence and flow of its own compared to the relatively low-key mix and treatment the music receives in the film itself, the album full of alternate and unused pieces alongside the cues that actually made it to the film. Funnily the movie has about 50 minutes of score while the CD contains 56 minutes of unique music (sans the reprised end credits and Tibetan source music), but still doesn't contain the full score as the movie contains several revised pieces left off the OST. Nevertheless the album is a terrific one with a great dramatic arc and is further elevated by Yo-Yo Ma's indelible and always elegantly soulful cello solos. I am glad I took a deeper listen of this one, just to be reminded of how wonderful piece of dramatic music it is.