What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

And the composer's intended album arrangement.

Not to mention Dr Horner was really under the pump on Aliens, so no wonder he reached into his bag of goodies to create something decent in a short amount of time.

Nobody but a medical doctor should call themselves " DR."

it's pompous and pretentious- kinda like you, Tin 😜Man

Btw

From now on I wish to be called " Dr. Marshall".

After all, i have provided medical care to animals.

It's highly likely most medical doctors (particularly general practitioners) you've met in your lifetime only hold a Bachelor of Medicine, ergo their title of "Doctor" is merely a courtesy one. Anyone who holds an actual doctoral degree in any given academic discipline has earned the title of "Doctor".

Just like Indiana Jones!

7 hours ago, The Big Man said:

*Poltergeist, Disc 2 OST program only

20201218_223635.jpg

I had PILTERGEIST and EXPLORERS but traded them away.

I loved them until I fell out of love.

8 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I'm no fan of theirs, and her dissertation/thesis probably contains a fair bit that I fundamentally disagree with. But officially, yes, she's a Doctor of Education.

I have a B.A.

From now on I insist you

address me as " Bachelor Marshall".

We don't address attorneys as " Esquire"

This is a remnant of our past colonial, rigid class based society..

Your lordship...your Ladyship....Sir...Dame... Your Grace..

I have a wonderful public health physician. I call her by her first name.

M

8 hours ago, The Big Man said:

...her dissertation/thesis probably contains a fair bit that I fundamentally disagree with.

... like the part that says , " ALL children have a right to a public education..."

😜

Balletic score by Guy Farley for a russian movie. It's a romance period adventure inspired by Romeo and Juliet, It's set in the winter wonderland of Saint Petersburg, the Russian Empire at the turn of the late 19th century. It's a light mix with the usual Pärt-inspired string/piano minimalistics plus lovely melodic stuff. Not exactly pushing boundaries, but a nice pre-christmas entry.

More Tenet than Williams and very much grounded into recent video game rock stylings. It's certainly not  made without skill (see how I refuse the term 'composed') and has at least fleeting moments of dramatic substance but it's also the final nail in the coffin of operatic Star Wars.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (complete score) by John Williams

Since Days now I am permanently listening to the 2-disc recording of Poledouris' Conan from the Prague Philharmonic and choir. This is really great. It is so much to discover. I must confess, I didn't know it before. And sometimes these heroic fanfares are a little annoying. But as a whole it is great. 

Home Alone (LLL 25th Anniversary Edition) by John Williams: Quite the quintessential Christmas score that always brings that sweet warm Christmas mood with it. It is indeed like meeting an old friend every time you listen to it. The 25th Anniversary Edition is the definitive version that contains both the complete chronological film score and the OST in the same package with stellar sound.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Another one of those scores that has become a Christmas staple on my Yuletide playlists. The composer very cleverly weaves amazing amount of well integrated quotes from Christmas music throughout Western musical history into his own score without any of them feeling obtrusive or out of place.  Danna is rather celebrating the fact how much inspiration musicians have drawn from the nativity story through the centuries and adds his own contribution into the same body of work, which I have to say is quite sublimely beautiful, tender and sensitive take on the tale, which embraces equally both the human and the divine in the story.

We Wish You A Merry Christmas (John WIlliams & Boston Pops): Williams' first Christmas album with the Pops is a wonderful festive treat that contains both very familiar Christmas standards and at least to me less well known American carols , that I think offer something a bit fresher and unexpected to the usual list of classics. The CD has received regular playings during the last couple of days to set the holiday mood. 

Joy to the World  (John Williams & Boston Pops): This compilation is perhaps even more of an attraction to John Williams fans as the disc includes selections from Home Alone. The arrangements from the score, the two songs Somewhere in My Memory and Star of Bethlehem are indeed excellent and also found their way on to the Home Alone 2  soundtrack album. But apart from Home ALone the whole album is really a delight from start to finish with a very colorful and varied Christmassy programme.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Children's Suite by John Williams: Such a delightful series of orchestral miniatures that really sum up the first score quite superbly and work as a sort of Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra by showcasing different instruments and instrumental groups in its different movements. I am so happy we finally got to hear these small suites in their entirety on the LLL's Harry Potter box as they are a thing of beauty.

13 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

The 25th anniversary edition is not 100% complete, but I recently started loving the album version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

What is missing from the 25th Anniversary set? Actual film score or something else?

There's one bit of actual score missing - the little stinger for Harry's gold tooth.  You can hear it from 2:29-2:32 of this video:

Also Harry whistling from 1:16-1:20 of this video was recorded by Williams at the scoring sessions (its their theme), though it's source music and not score

Any other music heard in the film that isn't on the LLL set Williams had nothing to do with

1. Twentieth Century Fox Fanfare
  2. Old Enough by Terry James (Bud's earphones)
  3. Be With You by Terry James (Bud's earphones)
  4. Santa Clause is Coming to Town (Miracle at 34th St on the TV)
  5. Jingle Bells (Miracle at 34th St on the TV)
  6. Trade Center by Tom Elliot (Angels with Filthy Souls audio)
  7. You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch (How The Grinch Stole Christmas on the TV)
  8. Be With You by Terry James again (Kevin's pizza delivery)
  9. Deck The Halls (John Candy's polka band)

I've honestly never investigated a difference with "Star of Bethlehem"

At what time stamp in this video do you hear something different than the OST or LLL version?

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's one bit of actual score missing - the little stinger for Harry's gold tooth.  You can hear it from 2:29-2:32 of this video:

Clearly time to petition for a new edition of this score. This is almost as bad as leaving the shawm off the Potter box!

;)

:music:Home Alone 2

Ludwig Göransson - The Mandalorian Season 2 (Volume 2)

This album is great!  Not only is it better and more engaging than Volume 1, it makes that album even better in retrospect because if you simply listen to both releases back to back as if it was one album, it's an extremely satisfying experience and the lack of an ending the first volume had doesn't matter any more.  This is one of the best scores of 2020!

Nubuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy V

Great!

Joe Hisaishi - A Tale Of Ululu's Wonderful Forest

HOLY COW this is great.  Such a great, strong main theme that receives many wonderful variations.  The whole album is good.  Plus you can't go wrong with some excellent use of a digeridoo!