What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Stumbled onto some nice finds on Spotify:

Girlhood by Para One

Radioactive by Evgueni and Sacha Galperine

Loveless by Evgueni and Sacha Galperine

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Are we even allowed to enjoy anything to do with Harry Potter? I know quite a lot of people who would accuse me of being anti-transgender just because I'm enjoying this music. But that's the level of discourse we're experiencing these days.

Seriously though, quality scores. I really enjoy the LLL box immensely. Especially the first score, oddly, as it really blossoms in its full glory. The second is but hodge-podge but still enjoyable and the third contains possibly most interesting writing but doesn't quite flow as well.

Karol

You see, I have no problem with discussing this stuff. It's an interesting subject and deserves to be dissected and all sides should be heard. I don't know enough about this subject to give an informed opinion so won't be stating anything here one way or another. It's not the appropriate platform. I only bring this up because it seems to be currently tied to one of the beloved franchises John Williams is attached to and it's an interesting this how perception can change. I certainly don't want anyone to be discriminated or persecuted for who they are. Quite frankly, it makes very little difference to my life. But yeah, I suppose there are issues that are worth debating there and perhaps some of the issues (clumsily) raised by Rowling have some merit. I am also fine with people being angry at her or whatever. As a powerful person whatever she says will send shockwaves all across the media. So she has only herself to blame here. And I get why my friends are upset. But this mindless cancellation culture is just plain dumb. If that is what people are arguing about then it looks like their case has already been won. I mean, if you waste so much time on being offended by pretty much any piece of media then it means you probably have no real problems in life.

Anyway...

:music: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Quartet). I'm surprised it took me this long to add this score to my collection. :)

Karol

I have many friends who are far more "woke" than me, none of whom would ever suggest that I shouldn't listen to JW's Harry Potter music because of JKR.

:music: The Prisoner of Azkaban (from the LLL set)

Actually woke people have very much acknowledged that with so many people being involved in these franchises, completely dropping support for a series from one bad egg does a great disservice to the amount of work that has been put in by other parties. Given that the actors still get a lot of support these days, I'm absolutely positive that Williams will be unaffected by JKR's messy attitudes.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Are we even allowed to enjoy anything to do with Harry Potter? I know quite a lot of people who would accuse me of being anti-transgender just because I'm enjoying this music. But that's the level of discourse we're experiencing these days.

Seriously though, quality scores. I really enjoy the LLL box immensely. Especially the first score, oddly, as it really blossoms in its full glory. The second is but hodge-podge but still enjoyable and the third contains possibly most interesting writing but doesn't quite flow as well.

Karol

Wasn't Potter your introduction to JW?

2 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

I have many friends who are far more "woke" than me, none of whom would ever suggest that I shouldn't listen to JW's Harry Potter music because of JKR.

Yeah. I believe the community has collectively cancelled Rowling, not Harry Potter.

Yes, I think, JKR said something like men are men, women are women and transgender are transgender.

Maybe I am too old to get what's wrong with that. 

And I just listened to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Yeah, that's precisely why I avoided the subject here when it was relevant: many just aren't well informed enough to truly get what the situation was about (myself included). And given how some definitely don't care in the slightest and would rather just keep dunking on some Twitter idiots they deem represent whole communities, I just don't feel it'd be a particularly productive conversation around these parts.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:28 PM, crocodile said:

I wonder what the "cancel" people will do when they discover the following works:

1. Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.
  2. Wagner's Die Meistersingers von Nurmberg (and possibly Das Rheingold, too).
  3. Dickens' Oliver Twist (and Sir David Lean's adaptation).
  4. Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America.

Either they'll have a field day, or an aneurysm.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I wonder what the "cancel" people will do when they discover the following works:

1. Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.
  2. Wagner's Die Meistersingers von Nurmberg (and possibly Das Rheingold, too).
  3. Dickens' Oliver Twist (and Sir David Lean's adaptation).
  4. Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in America.

Either they'll have a field day, or an aneurysm.

They won't, because they're too busy ensuring that modern films/TV shows/video-games/books/etc are within the rules they established and that everyone must follow.

Blake Neely - The Flight Attendant (Season 1)

Fun score!  I really dislike the opening 30 seconds that tacked onto the beginning of the Main Title cue though, it's way better without it!

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Soul

I like this score!  The OST album is a bit on the long side, but there's enough enjoyable material here to make a cracking short version I'll return to often

Hans Zimmer - Wonder Woman 1984

My first time listening.  I liked it!  I was engaged entertained the whole time, especially from "1984" to "Truth".  The final bonus track on Spotify, "Lost and Found" was a total dud and a waste of time

Pieces of a Woman by Howard Shore

Pleasant listening, with a central waltz idea that's not unlike something you might hear Umebayashi conjure. The piano concerto movement is the best part of the whole album though.

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

Simply sublime.

Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Frontline (OST album)

Hadn't listened to this in a long time, forgot how good it was!  I listened to my physical CD, the original one released by EA Games, not the LLL box set one.  Everything is great except the final track, I don't really like the song.  But there's some great action music here, and some wonderful orchestration. I sometimes forget he was already being inventive before ALIAS!

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles II (OST Album)

I love all 5+ hours of it!

I've encoded all my new CDs this morning, putted them on my Micro SD cards, but didn't listen to anything.

Unfortunately, I'm not into an ideal mood for music listening. 

Topic: Interesting nights these past two days were | MGTOW

I've decided to start this beautiful sunny saturday, by The Land before time.

What a lovely score! 

20210109_085414.jpg

EDIT: Something to say about my classification? :P

Ok and then... Bobby Fischer!

20210109_092740.jpg

Now starting Total Recall, the new 2020 release, but I listen to the OST which I assume had been remastered?

I resaw the movie recently and I thought it had aged badly, but the music didn't aged a day!

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Hoosiers. For the first time ever! Oh I love that sound! :cheer:

Nice one, Bes. Even for veteran Jerry fans, HOOSIERS can be a "difficult" listen. Personally, I've loved this score, since 1986.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nice one, Bes. Even for veteran Jerry fans, HOOSIERS can be a "difficult" listen. Personally, I've loved this score, since 1986.

I can understand, it's a very enthusiastic score where there's never "too much" of "too much". hehe

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nice. One of those is in my all-time top-10 Jerry scores.

Islands in the Stream is the A choice of my selection today, it's why I keep it for the end!