What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 1/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Prisoner of Zenda - Henry Mancini

My favorite Mancini mode is his "old-timey" mode where he shows his love for turn-of-the-20th-century light music like waltzes, rags, marches, operettas, and popular songs.  Where he can create a stew of Strauss, Victor Herbert, Percy Grainger, Sousa, Tin Pan Alley, etc.   The Great Race is still the best example I've heard, but Prisoner of Zenda sure is great fun!

Have you listened to Darling Lili? It has _tons_ of writing in that mode.

Koji Kondo once cited Mancini as a big influence, and sometimes it's hard not to notice.

(Not saying he was directly influenced or even familiar with this score, let alone the song)

I’ll check it out!

I was thinking about Mancini the other day and realized that all of my emotional attachment to “Moon River” is because of Angels in America and not Breakfast at Tiffany’s, a truly godawful movie.

It’s just heartbreaking in context.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ll check it out!

I was thinking about Mancini the other day and realized that all of my emotional attachment to “Moon River” is because of Angels in America and not Breakfast at Tiffany’s, a truly godawful movie.

Dammit and I haven't even seen the movie :crymore:

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Breakfast at Tiffany’s, a truly godawful movie.

Ironically, the one scene that Edwards and Hepburn had to fight to keep in was the one that aged best.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ll check it out!

Right. Even in "Born on the 4th of July" the song has more emotional impact.

Trevor Jones evening. 

The last of the Mohicans 

Mississippi Burning

Arachnophobia (I have the american version of the CD, remove the songs to keep only tracks 12-14-15-16-17-18 and 19)

Randy Edelman added some parts to The Last of The Mohicans, but it's mainly a Trevor Jones score.

I discover on the late, that it seems some of Trevor Jones OSTs uses MANY dialogues tracks...  :nono:

59 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Randy Edelman added some parts to The Last of The Mohicans, but it's mainly a Trevor Jones score.

I discover on the late, that it seems some of Trevor Jones OSTs uses MANY dialogues tracks...  :nono:

Ok. Then I got it wrong. 

Yes, OSTs using film dialogues and soundeffects would be probably worth an own thread. I could not think of any film music fan, who says "Great that there is the dialogue above my favourite piece of music. 

Like the prologue and epilogue in the WotW OST or Can You Read My Mind. Or the Flash Gordon soundtrack album of Queen which is rather a radio play than a soundtrack album.

Continuing to go through my physical collection today...

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

The opening "Titles" track is legendary for sure.  Then the album kind of just meanders around for a while, until there's some decent stuff in the final long suite track again

Sadly, I'll wait Vangelis' death before starting a physical collection of his work. He clearly blocks reissues and expansions of his scores. That's a shame, but that's his choice.

Alan Silvestri - Eraser (La La Land expanded)

Funny to look back through this expansion from before the golden era of LLL, with David C Fein's... questionable art style.  Oh how things have improved on that front since!

I hadn't heard this score in a while, probably not since I listened to my physical copy of the OST years ago doing this project.  Its's a fun score!  It has a nice blend of classic orchestral action music, militaristic action music, cool electric guitar riffs, and some moody underscore to pull the story along.  He even gets to revisit his Predator sound in "It's A Jungle" and Predator 2 in "You're Luggage". 

I'll always prefer Judge Dredd as far as his non-Predator/BTTF action scores go, but this is a fun one to check out every once in a while for sure.

The Tin Star - Elmer Bernstein (1957, FSM)

Real good underrated early Bernstein western.  You hear elements of the sound he developed for the 60s Westerns (Magnificent 7, Katie Elder, etc.) but it's not quite as individualistic as those later scores in terms of themes and orchestration, but still a lot to enjoy here.  It's improved for me over multiple listens.

This is the only music from it on Youtube, I recommend it if you enjoy Western scores.  In addition to the very nice main theme, you can hear some of the cool stuff he wrote for the suspense/conflict parts of the story.

I am not an audiophile like nany hear and i don't always distinguish how a new recording might actually sound better but I do hear it on the most recent Superman  MM expansion and I find myself going back to it time and again. Especially after the Love theme poll.

Danny Elfman - Black Beauty (La-La Land Expanded)

Woah.  I was unfamiliar with this score outside of its suite on Music for a Darkened Theater 2, which for some reason never did anything for me (I liked the Sommersby suite more, though never actually picked up either OST).  This was a revelation.  What a score!  I love the way it balances fantastic tender music with whimsical jaunts, sad violin solos, and some great piano work - among many other things as well, actually - this score is brimming with ideas!

I'll definitely be revisiting this one in the future, and will probably read Jeff Bond's liner notes tonight.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I could not think of any film music fan, who says "Great that there is the dialogue above my favourite piece of music. 

IIRC @TownerFan
likes the narration in Angela's Ashes

John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter - Across the Stars (standard edition)

The Deluxe Edition is better, they removed a lot of the best tracks for the standard edition.  My favorites from this version of the album are Rey's Theme, Donnybrook Fair, Night Journeys, and Nice To Be Around

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Danny Elfman - Black Beauty (La-La Land Expanded)

Woah.  I was unfamiliar with this score outside of its suite on Music for a Darkened Theater 2, which for some reason never did anything for me (I liked the Sommersby suite more, though never actually picked up either OST).  This was a revelation.  What a score!  I love the way it balances fantastic tender music with whimsical jaunts, sad violin solos, and some great piano work - among many other things as well, actually - this score is brimming with ideas!

I'll definitely be revisiting this one in the future, and will probably read Jeff Bond's liner notes tonight.

Wow, listened to the LLL samples, I have to hear more of this!

Well I've always liked the suite on MFADT2 for that one, just haven't heard the OST.  At this point, might as well wait for an expansion!

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes - I like it, it has personality and kinda knows when to have order and thematicity and when to have more erratic primitive percussion - or when to fuse the two!

Escape from the Planet of the Apes - A cool sound surprisingly thoroughly explored over the short runtime.

Planet of the Apes - kicks ass.

If the LLL box was 50$ instead of 70, I'd probably already have it even if I don't really like the Rosenmanns! (prefer Battle over Beneath but it still wouldn't get many or any listens)

John Williams - Images

Woah.  Images, where have you been all my life.  This score is cool as hell.  35 minutes is not enough!

I don't know how long ago I bought this, but I just took the shrinkwrap off today.  Jon Burlingame's liner notes were good and well researched

It seems Blood Moon and potentially Reflections are concert arrangements.

Now I want to see the movie and now I want them to find the master tapes and release an expansion!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Images

Woah.  Images, where have you been all my life.  This score is cool as hell.  35 minutes is not enough!

It's probably less in the movie. 

As for the movie, I want to visit those waterfalls some time.

Thomas Newman - Saving Mr. Banks

Nice! I didn't hate that movie, I just found the title inapproriate, but that's another story!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

The opening "Titles" track is legendary for sure.  Then the album kind of just meanders around for a while, until there's some decent stuff in the final long suite track again

Not even the suite was able to wake me up again. I'm a big fan of some of Vangelis' output, but his two main film scores leave me cold except for one standout cue each - Chariots of Fire has the great theme, and Blade Runner has the end titles.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

Sadly, I'll wait Vangelis' death before starting a physical collection of his work. He clearly blocks reissues and expansions of his scores. That's a shame, but that's his choice.

I'd buy a release of his Cosmos stuff (the original stuff, including Comet 16) in a heartbeat.

Some really gorgeous themes in this one. And yes, there are other scores of his I also like quite a bit. To this day I still regret not going to his concert some years ago.

Karol

Michael Giacchino - Coco

Well, the first 11 tracks (songs) didn't do much for me, though they were fine in the film itself. 

Giacchino's score from tracks 12-end was nicer than I remembered.  I had probably only listened to this once or twice before taking the shrinkwrap off my physical copy today.  Not anything that will ever crack my top 25 Giacchino's but it is pretty fun.

Phew!  That's enough CDs for one day

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Coco

Well, the first 11 tracks (songs) didn't do much for me, though they were fine in the film itself. 

Giacchino's score from tracks 12-end was nicer than I remembered.  I had probably only listened to this once or twice before taking the shrinkwrap off my physical copy today.  Not anything that will ever crack my top 25 Giacchino's but it is pretty fun.

Phew!  That's enough CDs for one day

I really enjoyed the score and quite liked the films, the song Remember Me feels more poignant once you've seen the film. I first heard Fiesta con de la Cruz at the Giacchino 50th birthday concert so I'll always remember that and enjoy that track just a little more!

Oh yea, Remember Me is super effective in the film for sure. Just not the kind of thing I like to listen to repeatedly

I could never get into his Cocoon scores as much as everybody else seems to

Maybe it's because I've never seen the films

Hans Zimmer (plus Steve Jablonsky, Gavin Greenaway, Jim Dooley and Mel Wesson) - Spirit

One of the most cheesy scores I've ever heard. I couldn't take it seriously. It reminded me of these albums with cheesy instrumental covers of strings and drums of famous songs (in this case, Bryan Adams' songs).