What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'll watch the film at some point, as I plan to watch every film Williams scored, but damn -- it's 3 hours long!?

We need to do a fan-edited version of the movie with only the 7 highlights. 34 minutes, that's enough, the contribution of John Williams is there! :lol:

No the best movie ever made is 2001: Space Odyssey.

(he's married to a jew, he's not impartial... oh wait Kubrik's parents were jew!)

James Horner - An American Tail: Feivel Goes West

Well, that was a lovely little score!  I liked it a lot.  I didn't care for any of the songs though, although the unexpected (not listed on the back cover) reprise of Somewhere Out There in the Overture track was a nice surprise (it's such a stronger song than these new ones)

The album ends very weakly though, like the final track doesn't really a "big finish" or "wrapping it all up" ending.  Instead of opening the album with the pop song, it should have ended the album

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The best fucking score that Horner ever wrote!!!

"Brainstorm". I just learned that the album is a re-recording, so one day we'll maybe have an expansion...

Brainstorm, well... good, it was surprisingly varied!  I now want to see the movie!

Now two other first listenings (never saw the movies either!)...

John Barry - The Black Hole expanded

James Horner - Something Wicked This Way Comes

You're asking why a title he mentioned in August 2020 isn't out yet by February 2021?  And you expect us to take your question seriously?

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You're asking why a title he mentioned in August 2020 isn't out yet by February 2021?  And you expect us to take your question seriously?

I didn't know he said that in August 2020. Despite what you believe, I can't read Byron's mind. Didn't know you have to know everything for you not to be insulted here at this crap forum.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I mean, why haven't he expanded Brainstorm yet? Is it due to legal problems, or maybe the tapes are in a bad state?

I (and I suppose most others) took his comments to mean that they're hoping to do it, or perhaps are already doing it, or perhaps are waiting for approvals, or the right opportunity to ask for them, or the materials to be located, or for funding… These things take time and money, but the fact that something hasn't been released yet doesn't imply that anybody has stopped it. On the contrary, it clearly implies that they haven't given up on it (yet), but that nobody has finished it (yet), and that we don't know if anybody has started it (yet).

Right.  He shared with us that he's made it a goal for him to make happen, he didn't share with us any details of how far along the project was at the moment.  

That's why I linked to his post, so you could see exactly what he posted for yourself.  I have never seen him or anyone else at Varese post anything about it anywhere since or before.  I don't think anyone here knows anything about how easy or complicated or what the status of any elements or legalities are for this one.  I certainly don't.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yep, it was an excellent year. HP 1, Monsters Inc, Shrek, The Fellowship of the Ring... And, best part, I was just 8 years old! 

Artificial Intelligence! The Royal Tenenbaums! Gosford Park!

It was an especially shitty Summer movie season that year though.  Shrek is a movie for the generation after mine and other than that it was a bunch of very shitty sequels.  Rush Hour 2, The Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park 3, the Burton POTA.  So much blech.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have never seen him or anyone else at Varese post anything about it anywhere since or before.

Except that ever since he mentioned it, each and every Varese Club announcement has been such that somebody has interpreted it as a Brainstorm clue.

christopher walken GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I (and I suppose most others) took his comments to mean that they're hoping to do it, or perhaps are already doing it, or perhaps are waiting for approvals, or the right opportunity to ask for them, or the materials to be located, or for funding… These things take time and money, but the fact that something hasn't been released yet doesn't imply that anybody has stopped it. On the contrary, it clearly implies that they haven't given up on it (yet), but that nobody has finished it (yet), and that we don't know if anybody has started it (yet).

Thanks for clarifying that. When I read it, I was under the impression that he had the plan of making the expanded release happen for a few years now, but for some reason or another he couldn't make it so far, not that he said that recently (and by that I mean in 2020-21). 

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Artificial Intelligence! The Royal Tenenbaums! Gosford Park!

It was an especially shitty Summer movie season that year though.  Shrek is a movie for the generation after mine and other than that it was a bunch of very shitty sequels.  Rush Hour 2, The Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park 3, the Burton POTA.  So much blech.

Yeah, it was a crappy summer season indeed. Burton's Apes movie is woeful. But I remember liking the Disney animation Atlantis back in that day.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Thanks for clarifying that. When I read it, I was under the impression that he had the plan of making the expanded release happen for a few years now, but for some reason or another he couldn't make it so far, not that he said that recently (and by that I mean in 2020-21). 

I don't remember exactly, but it may have been one of the scores where it was implied that the "former producer" was one of the reasons why they haven't been expanded earlier.

20 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Except that ever since he mentioned it, each and every Varese Club announcement has been such that somebody has interpreted it as a Brainstorm clue.

Those guesses began before that post, actually!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What's annoying about it?

I hate the sound, I hate the music. The Main Theme is an horrible piece of music!

It have the same effect of me as the Ewok music of JW in ROTJ. It's like hearing children singing "na-na-na-na-naaaaa-naaaaaa".

Example of "na-na-na-na-naaaaa-naaaaaa" :

R-3399018-1328890008.jpeg.jpg

Daniel Pemberton - Enola Holmes

Well, shoot.  After this score came up again in the IFMCA thread, I gave it another chance, and somehow liked it more this time than any other time I tried it. How about that.

The 66 minute OST album is nicely put together.  I have no clue how long the entire score is and how much editing or re-ordering was done, but whatever he did was effective.

Chaplin (John Barry) - discovered recently that I didn’t have this one but fortunately seems to be fairly easy to come by. Typical 90s Barry score I guess, but with perhaps one of his most fetchingly melancholy main themes (which rather reminds me of the Adagietto of Mahler’s 5th Symphony) although much of the score is actually rather more uplifting. Barry’s adaptations of original Chaplin’s own music are great and fit surprisingly well alongside Barry’s own  music. The only real downer is the pretty cheesy 90s pop version of smoke. The performance by Robert Downey Jnr is fine but the arrangement is quite jarring.

Right now I'm in a non-orchestral moden-pop mood, because I may write the music for a short film and i need something similar, so I listened to Elfman's Silver Linings Playbook.

Although it's simple (well not so simple since I don't know how to write the guitars and percussion loops), I love this score. It's melancholic and optimistic at the same time.

If anyone has any similar recommendations, please I'd like to hear them.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Chaplin (John Barry) (...) The only real downer is the pretty cheesy 90s pop version of smoke. The performance by Robert Downey Jnr is fine but the arrangement is quite jarring.

OMG, I had to put this FLAC in a "BONUS" folder to make sure it don't automatically play at the end of the album! hehe

27 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

@filmmusicdon't know if it's what you're looking for but I've a bit listened to Silver Linings Playbook and immediately thought to the Juno score

Thanks. I'll check it out!

edit: I checked it and it was what I was after.

Though the score by Messina is very short. Just 4 minutes in the 2Cd deluxe edition.

Yames Horner - The Mask of Zorro

Yohn Williams - Indiana Yones with The Crystal Skull (OST, but in a more chronological order)