What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Ah que c'est joli du français!

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Sand Pebbles by Jerry Goldsmith

Great!

The re-recording?

17 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Yes the one from the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Directed by Goldsmith himself! That's my pick too.

It would have been fun if John Williams re-recorded one of his "complete" score... I wonder which one he would have chosen?

59 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Ah que c'est joli du français!

Yes, I have a particular love for French film music from all ages. Armand Amar is one of the best at what he does, i.e. gorgeous, melancholic landscapes.

Today I'm discovering Sleeping with the Enemy by Jerry Goldsmith.

I've tried the OST program first (without the Van Morrison Song, I can't listen to that song, because it will remain in my head for days!), but it didn't worked for me.

The whole score offer a far better experience, and with 52 minutes, it's not too long.

a3400272749_16.jpg

This is the best game score of 2020. Glorious synth/darkwave from one of my favourites in the genre! It's the single cover rather than the album cover, but I prefer this more.

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Directed by Goldsmith himself! That's my pick too.

It would have been fun if John Williams re-recorded one of his "complete" score... I wonder which one he would have chosen?

Well I know which one I would chose! The Sugarland Express :w00t:

Goodbye Mr. Chips (FSM) by John Williams and Leslie Bricusse

Gorgeous! I usually don't much like to listen to those kind of musicals but this one is true pleasure. Special mention to the tracks London is London and When I'm older for the lyrics part.

Memoirs of a Geisha - gorgeous.

Empire of the Sun - perfection.

War Horse (my own leak edit) - very nice.

Babe - lovely.

Call of the Wild - yeah, I'm coming around on this, really enjoyed this listen.

7 Years In Tibet - Gave this one another try after the other day I heard some JWesque music on TV and based on the visuals I guessed it to be this, impressing my parents. My vague memory is that the first time I didn't enjoy it that much - well now I did!

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a grower! And that two minutes "friendship theme" cue near the end of the OST is so great.

And the Harrer theme is one of the best musical depictions of remorse I have ever heard

Alexandre Desplat - Velourian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I hadn't listened to this score in a while!  Probably about a year or so.  Well, I still love it.  One of Desplat's best.  Bring on a complete edition

Zamfir... oh my god...

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hadn't listened to this score in a while!  Probably about a year or so.  Well, I still love it.  One of Desplat's best.  Bring on a complete edition

He's soft as velour!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The movie is crap, but the score if great. One of Desplat's best action/adventure scores. He should do more scores in that vein.

ab67616d0000b27371adf889ca2015756159e547

Hans Petter Moland is my neighbour; I'm literally looking out at his house right now. He's also one of Norway's foremost filmmakers. He's fortunate to have forged a working relationship with Preisner -- currently Europe's greatest living (film) composer, as far as I'm concerned, now that Morricone has passed away.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What a bad neighborhood! Have you interviewed Moland about the music in his movies?

No, I've never even spoken to him as a neighbour. But it would be interesting.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The movie is crap, but the score if great. One of Desplat's best action/adventure scores. He should do more scores in that vein.

It might be good music, but I found, it didn't work well in the movie. 

The Edge (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

Love it!

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It might be good music, but I found, it didn't work well in the movie. 

I don't fancy that much this one either. I found the action parts quite banal. Guess it's because the action sequences of the movie where banal too. To me the best track is probably Medusa, this one was so surprising specially coming from Desplat.

Last night I sampled a bit of that new(ly rereleased) Gerhardt box on Spotify and it was Sea Hawk that grabbed me the most - enough that I just listened to the full Stromberg rerecording. I love the first and last third, only the middle lost me somewhat, and even that may all be a grower like most of Robin Hood was for me. It's on the order shortlist!

This morning I attack the Gerhardt 12-CD boxset.

According to a secret algorithm (which wins to remain secret), I'll start with these two CDs:

• CD01-Erich Wolfgang Korngold-The Sea Hawk
  • CD08-Franz Waxman-Sunset Boulevard

So my algorithm is good! :pfft:

EDIT: BTW, I think that this Erich Wolfgang Korngold should have learned by studying more John Williams's compositions, he would have written better music!

Planet of the Apes(OST) by Danny Elfman

I'd never listen to the score before as I'm not much of a fan of this movie, I prefer the new trilogy and the original movie, but as it was Elfman I had to give this one a try. Verdict: it's good Elfman, there are still some trace of the Goldsmith style so that's great. The only track I'm not so convince by is the final remix, it's sound kinda weird. Don't really know what Elfman wanted to do with this one.

:music: The Rendezvous by Austin Wintory. I genuinely believe this is his finest work. Yes, The Journey and Assassin's Creed Syndicate scores are more popular and, yes, they are really good...but there's something about this obscure thriller score that enchants me more. Somewhere between the jazz, action adventure, romance, it's bit hard to pinpoint exactly what makes this one so unique. One thing that definitely stands out is the masterful musicianship that puts it way above most contemporary composer's output. It's elegant stuff and nothing like the thriller music of today. Or any thriller music, really. The 55-minute album is very well constructed and ideas flow nicely between the tracks. It boggles the mind they pressed only 500 copies 2.5 years later it's still available. But I hope more people discover this gem over time. It's delicious.

Also listen to ABZU right after which is another fantastic work and definitely my second favourite.

I also listened to this really entertaining score from Don Davis which made me really miss him:

Karol

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The Hidden World by John Powell

Resultado de imagem para perfection gif

I still don't know how I didn't love this score from the first listen, it certainly has some of the best writing Powell has ever done and adds more great, new material to the original themes than HTTYD2 (great though that score is) for my money. Absolutely superb.

Currently listening to Elmer's rejected score to Gangs of New York which really is a very fine work indeed. Surprisingly dark and aggressive in places (which you'd expect from the film, but not from the composer, at least not in that stage of his career). I would be great to see the music restored to the film sometime. Has anyone tried?!

The Mandalorian Season 2 Vol. 1 by Ludwig Göransson

Well I've tried to listen to it a second time. The score from the first episode is correct and then everything turns bad like for the first season. I don't understand how Göransson's work on Star Wars can be popular, this doesn't sound like Star Wars' materials and the western style is, in my opinion, so unexisting, I mean a little electric guitar and flute aren't enough to make a western music, at least not to me.
All I can remember of this score is the gorgeous Main Title (I've got to give him that) and the abominable electronic musics which make me stops the show before it has ended.

I've got better expectations from the man who brought us Black Panther and Community. Maybe that's why I can't like it.

39 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I still don't know how I didn't love this score from the first listen, it certainly has some of the best writing Powell has ever done and adds more great, new material to the original themes than HTTYD2 (great though that score is) for my money. Absolutely superb.

It's certainly Powell's most "classical" score, with his themes reminding me of classical music. Someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able to point what exactly were Powell's inspirations. 

The Phantom Menace and other film hits (Varèse Sarabande)

BTW I'm very satisfied with the 2 Gerhardt albums I listened. Few minor issues related to the age of the tapes, but wonderful recordings!

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's certainly Powell's most "classical" score, with his themes reminding me of classical music. Someone with more knowledge on the subject may be able to point what exactly were Powell's inspirations. 

He leaned more heavily on Sibelius in the second and third scores, although nothing specific. Viking Wedding sounds a bit like Borodin's Prince Igor (particularly the the choral writing). Furies in Love reminds me of Joe Hisaishi (so not classical) a little. However, it's very much more inspiration than specific works (unlike, say, James Horner, where you can point to large passages, lovingly rendered and incorporated with his own material those passages are).

Note to myself: As I clearly lost the count, I've come to the conclusion that sorting my FLAC folder of film music by Modified Date, is the most efficient way of knowing which are the last CDs I purchased on Amazon, Discogs and all the speciality label websites.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Last night I sampled a bit of that new(ly rereleased) Gerhardt box on Spotify and it was Sea Hawk that grabbed me the most - enough that I just listened to the full Stromberg rerecording. I love the first and last third, only the middle lost me somewhat, and even that may all be a grower like most of Robin Hood was for me. It's on the order shortlist!

I absolutely love this passage:

It's just so evocative of the jungle adventure they're about to embark on. I think it accompanies the reveal of the map of Panama in the film