What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b273a689d0eb092c974c8c991de4

One of the best documentary scores last year. This is a softer, more melancholic version of Kallis than the one in GAGARIN: FIRST IN SPACE, which was all the rage in 2013. Heartily recommended.

c8a228de83d5b875c3e9a26b6a532656ca40e6a7

This 2013 score is still my favourite Tyler, all these years later. Broad, reflective and melodic. Why can't he write more like this instead of all the pounding percussion stuff?

(btw, that's three in a row just from me. I don't mean to spam this thread. I try to limit it to 3-4 albums every day, out of the 6-10 soundtracks I listen to every day).

Yeah, it's cool in a modest 80's action picture kind of way. I just wish Hill would have reigned Goldsmith in more and not let him go overboard with the Casio stuff. Some of the parts beg for acoustic instruments, especially guitars or castanets.

Beautiful and emotional score, with a main theme that, despite being a little similar to James Horner's Braveheart, it's truly heartbreaking. Fans of Horner's A Beautiful Mind and The Bicentennial Man, and Desplat's drama scores, check this one.

The most eclectic of the Morricone/Argento collaborations, ranging from mellow Edda Dell'Orso lounging to Lynyrd Skynyrd rock numbers and weird Italo pop (and some suspense numbers), but on the whole, all of these collaborations yielded memorable results (even the titles). Four Flies on Grey Velvet lacks the memorable main theme of i. e. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage or The Cat o' Nine Tails but it proves Morricone's willingness to try almost anything.

Along Came a Spider by Jerry Goldsmith

Twilight Zone by Jerry Goldsmith

Dennis the Menace by Jerry Goldsmith

I think that I've now heard a bit more than a third of Goldsmith. Damn the man compose so many great score. I wish I have more time to listen to all of them.

I listened to my audio rip of the "Morricone 60" DVD all day long. I love this Abbey Road live session!

Now I listen to James N. Howard: Snow falling on cedars and Wyatt Earp OST.

R-1773730-1242452928.jpeg.jpg

I'm a grumpy morning person, and always need soothing stuff to start the day. Nothing better, then, than Vangelis' spinechillingly beautiful and introspective score for this 1983 photo exhibition. Such an overlooked gem. Only 20 minutes long, so quickly on to:

25b13e094dd4be94c5cb20aa19e88b3a.500x500

I love the work of Ryan Lott aka Son Lux. This score, from 2015, is not as good as THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY (2014), which was one of the best scores that year, but still in the same lovely dream pop/electroacoustical amalgam mode. Lott is always able to bring his own defined sound to a film while not sounding like "film music" per se. I love that, and wish he did more scores.

If you're a synth fan, it should satisfy. But it's not exactly the type of bold orchestral Goldsmith you're listening to at the moment. So depends on your taste, I suppose.

Children of Dune (Brian Tyler) - think this was one of the first things but Tyler I ever bought. Kinda enjoyable, in a epic, slightly nondescript 90s ethnic way.

The Cowboy (JW) - Love the complete Varese release of this, especially with the incredible sound quality (and double improvement as I had the release with the channels swapped). Such a fun Williams score.

The Book Thief (JW) - Quite a lovely effort, although maybe a bit too warm at times. Plus I still can't quite get over the feeling that it sounds like offcuts from other scores, a bit of AI here, bit of Memoirs of a Geisha here. Nothing specific really, but just nothing that stands out from the crowd. Shocking to think it's his only other non-Spielberg/Star Wars score since Memoirs of a Geisha (which, for my money, is massively better).

Outland (Jerry) - classic thriller/action effort from Jerry and much improved sound on the expanded release too.

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

If you're a synth fan, it should satisfy. But it's not exactly the type of bold orchestral Goldsmith you're listening to at the moment. So depends on your taste, I suppose.

Let's say I quite open minded. I can really change of style of music from a moment to another. ;)

3 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Executive Decision by Jerry Goldsmith

The Sum of all Fears (LLL) by Jerry Goldsmith

I keep advancing on the Goldsmith's path...

animation walk cycle | Walking animation, 2d character animation, Motion  design animation

A shiny new era is tiptoeing nearer.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Reminded me a bit of Goldsmith's militaristic scores. Still, this is pretty good. I'd be happy if it gets nominated for the Oscar.

I don't get Goldsmith, but I do get Williams in the solemn Americana stuff. The main draw for me, however, was the duduk-based theme - used as both a love theme in the movie, as as well as the 'call' from the past mirroring the cameradarie of the group. While I was disappointed in the film, the score was one my top favourites last year - and by that, also one of my favourite Blanchards in general (a composer I have a very uneven relationship to).

Now playing:

ab67616d0000b27388bb6093d9ad81e530bccaa9

All very typical Portman - one wistful main theme that gets repeated a LOT of times. But enough variation to sustain interest. This was one of my honourable mentions in 2016.

ab67616d0000b273c6bf74915525351b1353ed46

Doyle jr. certainly has his father's gift. This nice little score from 2018 showcases a guy with melodic talent, as well as one that draws comfortably on the post-minimalist trend of recent years. Nice gaelic flavours, and some South American.

It was (sort of).

R-5183966-1471277636-3753.jpeg.jpg

What a brilliant film and a brilliant score! A shame Monkman didn't do more. The main theme has a very Alan Parsons feel about it. Gotta love the songs too.

OK, I've reached my self-imposed "quota". This was the last one for tonight.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

R-5183966-1471277636-3753.jpeg.jpg

What a brilliant film and a brilliant score! A shame Monkman didn't do more. The main theme has a very Alan Parsons feel about it. Gotta love the songs too.

You don't around blowing people up, outside churches, on Good Friday!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. No other word for it.

If you like Monkman, you may like Where Opposites Meet, and FIFO, his main contributions SKY, and SKY 2 respectively. Monkman also scored a lot of UK television adverts. One was for the clothing brand C&A, but I can't find it, on the net.

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Mono soundtacks, I'm not ready to go there yet! I love some historic classical mono recordings, but that's not the same.

I thought you preferred the original recording of The Bride of Frankenstein.

EDIT: Oh, no. That was @Disco Stu.