What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

13 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Theory of Everything by Johann Johannsson

I think it's might be my favourite score from 2014, so delicious, smooth and dreamy... :heart:

Too bad that Johansson has already left us.

It should be mentioned, though, that it's just a second hand copy of 'The Imitation Game' and 'A Beautiful Mind', the first so obviously a template that it makes you wonder how that worked. Both movies came out around the same time.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

It should be mentioned, though, that it's just a second hand copy of 'The Imitation Game' and 'A Beautiful Mind', the first so obviously a template that it makes you wonder how that worked. Both movies came out around the same time.

I've found The Imitation Game far less interresting than this one, but it's just my point of view.

Now about the similarities of those scores, I find it quite normal as all those movies present the life of scientists genius who have a life quite close from one another. To me it's quite logical.

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING is nice and everything, but it's a rather 'by-the-numbers' score from Jóhannsson compared to his usual ouevre, tapping into the prevalent post-minimalist romanticism that's been all the rage in the last decade. I tend to prefer his more visionary works myself, like PRISONERS (my favourite), MANDY, LAST AND FIRST MEN.

46 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Now about the similarities of those scores, I find it quite normal as all those movies present the life of scientists genius who have a life quite close from one another. To me it's quite logical.

Your whole point of view sadly reinforces the kind of thinking that leads to such uninspired scores in the first place. And really, what *IS* interesting about harmonically and thematically flat string chords and soft piano warblings? Is that the best we can hope for when composers tackle geniuses? (of course, the Desplat sound JJ copies here was established long before ToE, but that's beside the point)

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

Your whole point of view sadly reinforces the kind of thinking that leads to such uninspired scores in the first place. And really, what *IS* interesting about harmonically and thematically flat string chords and soft piano warblings? Is that the best we can hope for when composers tackle geniuses? (of course, the Desplat sound JJ copies here was established long before ToE, but that's beside the point)

Sure we can wait more from those composer. Changing the musical canvas of those biopic would be a great thing, I'm just thinking that if because of some unknown reasons composers decide to use the same thematics for certain subject well I'm glad if the music is just please me. I prefer those romantic scores to the interchangeable noise of some more modern compositions from Remote Control and others.

After the JW scores for Spielberg films which hit decade anniversaries, thought I'd do the same for some other composers, so since I had Restless (2011) come up for Danny Elfman, decided to start with him. Although he was hitting his stride in the early 90s, he didn't actually have any releases in 1991 (Batman the year before, Batman Returns the year after). For 2001, he did the ill-fated Planet of the Apes reboot. I always enjoyed most of Elfman's score for this, although the LLL expanded edition does feel a little long by the end (it is almost 2 hours). Still, some enjoyable sci-fi scoring at the start and Elfman's take on The Hunt isn't a bad follow up to Goldsmith's classic original.

Restless from 2011 is really charming, I don't think I'd have even guessed it was Elfman most of the time. Great mix of guitar and gentle wooden tuned percussion (marimba I think). Can't believe I've only listened to this one once before! Real Steel has a kinda retro, punch the air, retro cheesiness which is rather enjoyable. One of those scores I've listened to a number of times but actually don't remember that well, but enjoyed getting reacquainted.

In 2011, Iris for the Cirque du Soleil show came out, which I absolutely adore. A nice throwback to Elfman's earlier style but with the refinement of his experience in writing for orchestra in that time. Curious that perhaps the most prototypical release from Elfman that year wasn't a film score.

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

After the JW scores for Spielberg films which hit decade anniversaries, thought I'd do the same for some other composers, so since I had Restless (2011) come up for Danny Elfman, decided to start with him. Although he was hitting his stride in the early 90s, he didn't actually have any releases in 1991 (Batman the year before, Batman Returns the year after). For 2001, he did the ill-fated Planet of the Apes reboot. I always enjoyed most of Elfman's score for this, although the LLL expanded edition does feel a little long by the end (it is almost 2 hours). Still, some enjoyable sci-fi scoring at the start and Elfman's take on The Hunt isn't a bad follow up to Goldsmith's classic original.

Restless from 2011 is really charming, I don't think I'd have even guessed it was Elfman most of the time. Great mix of guitar and gentle wooden tuned percussion (marimba I think). Can't believe I've only listened to this one once before! Real Steel has a kinda retro, punch the air, retro cheesiness which is rather enjoyable. One of those scores I've listened to a number of times but actually don't remember that well, but enjoyed getting reacquainted.

In 2011, Iris for the Cirque du Soleil show came out, which I absolutely adore. A nice throwback to Elfman's earlier style but with the refinement of his experience in writing for orchestra in that time. Curious that perhaps the most prototypical release from Elfman that year wasn't a film score.

ahh Real Steel... Funny how this one is so forgettable to me but every listening is a real pleasure. Guess there are some scores like that...

Did you hear to the LLL Batman edition or the regular album? I've always wonder if the extension worth something or if the score is all I need.

The Imitation Game is top 10 Desplat for me. He had a great year in 2014.

As for The Theory of Everything, I think it's okay, but I prefer the end credits song which wasn't composed by Johánnsson, Arrival of the Birds by the Cinematic Orchestra.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Imitation Game is top 10 Desplat for me. He had a great year in 2014.

As for The Theory of Everything, I think it's okay, but I prefer the end credits song which wasn't composed by Johánnsson, Arrival of the Birds by the Cinematic Orchestra.

It was composed by a whole orchestra?

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It was composed by a whole orchestra?

They're more of a band, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cinematic_Orchestra

They also wrote one of the saddest songs of all time, so depressing that it has been used in dramatic moments in a lot of american TV shows:

The Eiger Sanction by John Williams

An underrated masterpiece from the master. I remember that it was the only thing that I find good in the movie. To bad that Williams and Eastwood never get another chance to work together, I'm sure it would have been great.

One of the few CD of the maestro that I don't own and which definitely would deserve a MM treatment to improve the poor sound of the last Varese presentation and why not extend it if possible.

ab67616d0000b27377d6bace1f65c7ba8ca409cf

One of the best scores of the entire 2010s, and by far my favourite of 2015. Gorgeous, baroque music mixed with Deleruian woodwinds and slow, dreamy Badalamenti/Lynch-like melodies. It's to die for! Please, Cat's Eyes, do more film music!

Room (FYC) by Stephen Rennicks

Chinatown by Jerry Goldsmith

Room is quite enjoyable, not as memorable as the picture but quite nice. About Chinatown... well it's Goldsmith so is there anything more to say?

My Less than Zero (Thomas Newman) C&C Playlist (including only three source songs from the OST, the essential ones!).

@SteveMc THE BANGLES, THE BANGLES!!!! :lol:

And of course using the rare movie version of Roy Orbison's "Life Fade Away", not the far less better version they put on the OST.

image.png

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

@SteveMc THE BANGLES, THE BANGLES!!!! :lol:

Fun fact, Bangles singer/rhythm guitarist Susanna Hoffs was family friends with Thomas Newman.  That was the connection that brought the band on board with the movie.

Also, the band initially worked with producer Rick Rubin on the song, but creative differences led him to storm out of the studio, so The Bangles ended up largely self-producing the track, which became a surprise #2 hit in the United States.

ab67616d0000b273789baf6e11de7ca77704e71e

In 1993, when this came out, I was a big Dire Straits fan, and my film music passion had finally been cemented with JURASSIC PARK. So this CD, one of my earliest acquisitions on that medium, seemed like the best of two worlds. But somehow, I was torn; it was neither this nor that. Neither a Dire Straits album, nor film music in style or tone. So I sold my CD a few years later. I've always regretted it, because when I listen to it now - in a digital file version I've since acquired - it's a lovely compilation of his finest film music up to that point. I don't understand what I was on about. Stupid youth!

Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, et al - Final Fantasy VII Remake

This is all I've been listening to for the past... many days.  I love it all

Thomas Newman - 1917. :rock:

I liked the movie, so it's not hard to love this great and deep ambient score! It's perfect for working!

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps :love2:

John Williams - Dracula (the score) :devil:

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"...torture"? Bugger that! It's one his best scores of the 80s.

No, I'm not joking. Ffs.

Did Moradi hack FARTs account?

😁

20200905_144532.jpg

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You prankster

n

11 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"...torture"? Bugger that! It's one his best scores of the 80s.

No, I'm not joking. Ffs.

I was being sarcastic by referring to this post

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That bad, eh? ;)

just after I said that

19 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

About Chinatown... well it's Goldsmith so is there anything more to say?

Of course I love Link. For now I haven't found a Goldsmith's score that I don't love. The man is a true genius, my personal second favourite composers.

charming, to the last — Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) dir. Rian Johnson

@Jurassic Shark

feaa86c53cb5a1e66db3d08c1da7c281.jpg

Music by Du Wei. I saw the film in Cannes in 2016, if memory serves, or some other film festival (perhaps it was Tromsø). The music has never had a release, hence no soundtrack cover (I have a promo). Haunting textures in the style of Tan Dun. It's 29 minutes, so quickly on to:

R-10711874-1502885130-8077.jpeg.jpg

God, I dig those elegant Morricone 60s scores.

Spider scores... starting with Arachnophobia by Trevor Jones and Eight Legged Freaks by John Ottman. Trevor Jones is pretty badly served by a very short selection from his score, plus dialogue clips, but what there is on the album is enjoyable if not super memorable. Eight Legged Freaks, on the other hand, is terrific fun with some enjoyable OTT action music, a memorable main theme as well as a fun use of the melody from Incy Wincy Spider, interpolated here and there in a way that Jerry Goldsmith did from time to time (such as When Johnny Comes Marching Home in Small Soldiers). One of those albums that's just the right length too.

4 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I was being sarcastic by referring to this post.

Of course I love Link. For now I haven't found a Goldsmith's score that I don't love. The man is a true genius, my personal second favourite composers.

charming, to the last — Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) dir. Rian Johnson

@Jurassic Shark

In that case, apologies, etc. LINK is among my all-time favourite Jerry scores.

15 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I'm wondering is the Intrada expansion worth having..?

It's Jerry Goldsmith. Do the math.

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In that case, apologies, etc. LINK is among my all-time favourite Jerry scores.

It's okay. About Link it's the same for me, I don't why it took me so long to hear this one, perhaps because it's quite unknown (never heard of this movie before)

21 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's Jerry Goldsmith. Do the math.

:heart:+:heart:=:w00t:

a3698675590_5.jpg

A favourite that got a lot of play back in 2013. Reflective, softspoken and beautiful - often with careful piano and strings at its core.

R-11907023-1524506990-6528.jpeg.jpg

I was sooooo happy when NoteforNote FINALLY released a clean-sounding release of this in 2018 (and also very lucky that I got to sell off the disastrous-sounding Perseverance release before it was too late). Such a masterpiece.

Continuing the arachnid theme, albeit more metaphorical, gave The Spider (Søren Hyldgaard) and Spider (Howard Shore) a spin. Hyldgaard's effort is somewhere between Bernard Herrmann and Jerry Goldsmith, but without directly referencing either, but makes for a fine, orchestral thriller score, albeit a touch on the long side. Very sadly he passed in 2018, but I highly commend his music; a generous compilation entitled Eye of the Eagle is a great introduction to his works.

Shore's score is for a Cronenberg is more of a psychological representation of a disturbed mind and is quite hard going at times, but while still remaining listenable. The forces employed are of chamber dimensions, with an emphasis on low strings and woodwind. Difficult but rewarding.

3 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Patton (FSM) by Jerry Goldsmith

Very nice. I'm wondering is the Intrada expansion worth having or this one is enough?

All you need is the re-recording conducted by Goldsmith himself.