What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

I just remember on the internet about 20 years ago it seemed in-vogue to sing T13W's high praises while leaving The Mummy for dead.

It sounds more 'epic', a sound that for whatever insane reason is considered the high watermark.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

It sounds more 'epic', a sound that for whatever insane reason is considered the high watermark.

And because it's the easiest way to approach scores, I know a lot of people who do not fancy much film music but who like to listen to epic music like the one you find in trailers.

But whatever the excessive excitement with the 13th Warrior, I think it really need an expansion.

Just finished Dances with Wolves by John Barry. It's really good although I'm not very familiar with the man's work.

Yeah. First he'll have to listen to the OST, then to the first expansion, then to the mammoth LLL expansion. Then he'll likely realize that the first expansion was sufficient.

32 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You have a wonderful voyage of discovery, ahead of you.

I envy you.

Yeah discovering all those fantastic score it's...

It Is Beautiful GIF - ItIs Beautiful SoPretty - Discover & Share GIFs

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah. First he'll have to listen to the OST, then to the first expansion, then to the mammoth LLL expansion. Then he'll likely realize that the first expansion was sufficient.

Too many expansions, I don't know which ones to choose, plus my wallet keep crying....

Wallet GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

And because it's the easiest way to approach scores, I know a lot of people who do not fancy much film music but who like to listen to epic music like the one you find in trailers.

Sounds like people you mustn't know.

R-10859469-1506802592-7914.jpeg.jpg

Great, overlooked score from 1992 by a guy who's mostly famous as an orchestrator. Unashamed consonance and lush orchestrations (as one would expect) - and an electronic sprinkle or two. You rarely hear these kinds of scores anymore.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Great, overlooked score from 1992 by a guy who's mostly famous as an orchestrator. Unashamed consonance and lush orchestrations (as one would expect) - and an electronic sprinkle or two. You rarely hear these kinds of scores anymore.

I'd like to have both the Mann, and the rejected Barry score as Deluxe edition with this cover.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember something about a rejected Barry score for this. I wonder if it ever surfaced on the "black market", so to speak.

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm also very fond of his score dor Dracula: Dead and Loving It, which plays it completely straight and is therefore a pretty great Dracula score.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

I'd like to have both the Mann, and the rejected Barry score as Deluxe edition with this cover.

C'mon Quint; you don't have to hear the Barry score; you already know what it sounds like😒😞

That is a great cover!

8 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Anyone else remember when everyone else thought The 13th Warrior was better than The Mummy?

They were right then,

They are right NOW!

On 3/2/2021 at 8:53 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I tried really hard to like this (McCreary is worth the effort most of the time) but I couldn't quite get a handle on it, but a good excuse to give it another listen..

Try my curated program.

It makes for a much improved experience😊

4 hours ago, publicist said:

A rambling low noise when i first heard it, i now at least partly appreciate it as electronic concept album with some nice ideas along the way.

The X-PERIMENTS album works better as a concept album, I think. The proper soundtrack never did much for me. But I'm impressed you're playing DARK PHOENIX at 6 in the morning!

Meanwhile, over here, as I get up 4 hours later:

R-14026915-1566355995-4948.png.jpg

This 1999 score got its first soundtrack release in 2019 - 20 years after its premiere. It's about time too, because it's a wonderful gem. Erhus(?), harps, strings and floating electronic textures denote the vastness of the mountainscapes. Xiaofeng came and went too quickly, he hasn't done a film score since 2009.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't like sleeping, do you?

Yes, but I rarely go to bed before 2AM.

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

My working days start at 06:30, and i usually drop over by 10, 10:30 at night.

Yikes! What are you, a baker? ;)

R-760686-1515952844-7052.jpeg.jpg

This French 80s TV series is drenched in nostalgia for me and other Norwegians my age (maybe also other Europeans?), as it was shown on "breakfast TV" in those days. The always-eclectic Cosma provides not only catchy songs, but fun orchestral arrangements of the melodies.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then I'd like to recommend his score to Out of Africa.

Already planned ;)

Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris

Great score. Love the main theme so epic and adventurous.

Butcher, baker, postman.....it must be gruelling to start the work day at 6:30. That's when I'm in my deepest sleep.

Ha, ha. 

I guess now it makes more sense to play DARK PHOENIX so early the morning. At that point, one probably needs loud, bombastic music and a black coffee to even get the body working.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

R-760686-1515952844-7052.jpeg.jpg

This French 80s TV series is drenched in nostalgia for me and other Norwegians my age (maybe also other Europeans?), as it was shown on "breakfast TV" in those days.

Hell yeah! I completely forgot this existed until just now, I used to love it.

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I cannot add anything, about this score. There is nothing new I can bring to the table, so I'll just say:

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.

Sometimes, one doesn't really have to say anything, especially when it comes to the classics. Whenever I post a famous soundtrack cover, I prefer to just let it sit there, sans text.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sometimes, one doesn't really have to say anything, especially when it comes to the classics. Whenever I post a famous soundtrack cover, I prefer to just let it sit there, sans text.

Unfortunately, famous doesn't always mean good.