What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 3/6/2021 at 8:41 AM, Thor said:

In my opinion, he's second only to Giacchino and Göransson as the most overrated living film composer today. But do check out the ones I mentioned -- they're fine!

You are correct about GHOST WRITER.

As for the rest of your comments.....

This might be the all-time example of great score/ lousy film

Legrands greatest.

Like many if his scores it's monthematic; but what a theme! Joyous and exuberant they way JW can be ( "Can you read My Mind/ The Flying Sequence).

His variations are endlessly inventive.

Sadly, the CD pictured is the ost, not Intrada's expansion.

If anyone has that to trade pls. Lmk.

20210307_135740.jpg

I must say that the OST features one of the most horrible sung version of that beautiful Legrand's work.

Here's a superb version.

Kilar will always be my favourite polish composer who also wrote for cinema. 'King of the Last Days' is a historical 1993 drama about the rise and gruesome fall of the anabaptists in Münster and shines with the distinctive, powerful sounds typical of Kilar. The floating, unearthly choirs & mix of orchestra and discreetly backgrounded period instruments alternates between sacred, hymn-like melodies that move incredibly pulsating and dramatic, and gloomy, elegiac dirges with an exalted Morricone feel to them. It's one of the great resurrections of Middle Age, next to Morricone's (countless) similar examples, i. e. El Greco or La Venexiana,  and Barry's Last Valley.

ab67616d0000b2739e49287f16af328e4ac82bfa

Coolness embodied! I just love the elegance and wistfulness of it. Perfect blend of jazz and electronica. Air also scored the Norwegian film PIONÉER a few years ago, but that remains unreleased (it is by no means as exciting as VIRGIN SUICIDES, though).

No.

R-1437935-1346080827-6064.jpeg.jpg

Another film drenched in nostalgia for me. But it's also a lovely synth effort where Silvestri once again shows his chops with the Synclavier, Linndrums etc. "Robot Romp" remains the favourite track. I wish Silvestri did another synth-only score again (there are a few nice cues in the COSMOS soundtracks that prove he still has it in him).

13 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I thought this was a lovely album!

It is! Thor is just a bit predisposed when it comes to film music arrangements for acoustic guitar, such as this gem:

Star Trek: Voyager Volume 2 (Jay Chattaway, Dennis McCarthy etc.) - I sometimes slightly worry that I bought these albums out of a sense of obligation as I they can be a bit of a chore to sit through at times. There are some individual scores that are worth hearing (the more epic Borg ones, for example) but a lot of it is modal strings and horn chords, which become a bit interchangeable after a while. It makes me just want to put on the Orville... I should probably check out Jeff Russo's scores for Discovery and Picard. They actually strike me as much more varied and interesting than most 90s Trek music. I'll stick pick up the second Enterprise volume, that definitely seems to have a wider range and more interesting style. Shame Rick Berman didn't understand how great the music could have been, we could have had volumes and volumes of Orville style scoring instead.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I sometimes slightly worry that I bought these albums out of a sense of obligation as I they can be a bit of a chore to sit through at times.

Believe me, you did.

54 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It is! Thor is just a bit predisposed when it comes to film music arrangements for acoustic guitar, such as this gem.

True, not a fan of guitar reductions, for some reason. But I love acoustic guitars in and of themselves, when used prominently as solo instrument in scores - in everything from THE DEER HUNTER to STEPMOM.

Birthday selection!

Danny Elfman - Big Fish (The score)

John Williams - The Force Awakens OST

James Horner - Searching for Bobby Fischer (OST)

Jerry Goldsmith - Medicine Man 

The Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore

Not my favourite Shore's score (obviously it's the LOTR) but it's from one of my favourite thriller so always like to listen to it once in a while to feel Hannibal's haunting presence.

R-6799242-1426872564-2810.jpeg.jpg

Carl Davis didn't only do silent films, he did "normal", contemporary movies too. This is a nice example, from 1984. Big and bold, and sounds far more oldfashioned than perhaps the film demands. This soundtrack is very hard to find these days.

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

As suggested by @ThorI've give The Ghostwriter by Alexandre Desplat another try and it turns out to be really good, perhaps one of my favourite Desplat's score.

I remember listening to this at the Desplat concert in London a few years ago and being thrilled by it. I don't know if it was the impact of the LSO live, but it was a thrilling performance. Still excellent on disc (and the rest of the concert was pretty damn great, as a bit more of a Desplat fan than a lot of people here, but I agree that he might be better served if he reduced his workload... he's no Ennio or James Horner...).

Executive Decision - Jerry Goldsmith

I really love these macho Goldsmith action scores.

Peter Pan - JNH

A little boring and mickey mouse-y, but still with some wonderful highlights

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - JNH

Pretty fun. The main theme clearly inspired Sisu's theme from Raya.

20 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Must Be another thread, Shark.

You okay?

I'm okay, but it seems you're getting senile.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:50 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the mood of Girl with a pearl earring, although there's only a few standout tracks.

One has to wonder why Giacchino and Desplat don't do a few less scores a year - they must be among the best paid film composers today, so I doubt they really need to maximize their income.

The Aftermath (John Morgan) - Random discovery in my collection, sounds like the best sci-fi score Bernard Herrmann never wrote. It manages to sound like Herrmann more or less throughout without sounding like anything too specific (and certainly no closer to particular Herrmann works than Herrmann himself got).

ab67616d0000b273f0006bfe866d9a4d76a32021

Not exactly a cheery affair, but not outright gloomy either. Surprisingly thematic. Obviously a few SCHINDLER'S LIST vibes here and there. One of my runner-ups last year, this, and it seems to be well-liked by many of my fellow critic colleagues too (one of the rare times I'm in synch with them).

4 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

As suggested by @ThorI've give The Ghostwriter by Alexandre Desplat another try and it turns out to be really good, perhaps one of my favourite Desplat's score.

Unfortunately op and $$$$.

1917 (FYC) by Thomas Newman

I actually prefer this presentation over the official release, its contains only the highlights and forget the useless tracks such as Milk.

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Unfortunately op and $$$$.

???

1 minute ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

1917 (FYC) by Thomas Newman

I actually prefer this presentation over the official release, its contains only the highlights and forget the useless tracks such as Milk.

???

Out of print and very expensive on secondary market

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Out of print and really expensive on the secondhand market.

How did you sneak in before me?!