What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

...because that's only an 80 minute score with not too many alternates or album pieces?

2 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Frevinnsakes, STAR WARS only needed TWO.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

3 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Releases like that are geared more toward formal musicology students writing a highly involved dissertation on film music. Casual listeners need not apply.

I thought film music was meant to provide pleasure.

An artistic experience.

Silly me.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah, let great interesting music fucking rot, never to be heard, just because some stupid director rejected it 40 years ago!

Alternates are different versions of cues already represented on the album.

You're talking about unused cues

...no. Alternates are different versions of cues that ended up being used. Meaning they were rejected and replaced.

ST:V included an ' alternate' of " The Mountain" that was indiscernible from the original.

The alternate " Fortress of Solitude" is a wholly original composition

1 minute ago, Holko said:

...no. Alternates are different versions of cues that ended up being used. Meaning they were rejected and replaced.

That's what I said you idiot!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

However, now playing, Contract on Cherry Street (Jerry) - prototypical gritty action thriller score. I remember getting this years ago and not really enjoying it much. Guess it seemed quite hard work compared to his tuneful 90s scores, but definitely glad to reappraise it. Some of his most aggressive trombone writing which is brilliantly captured in the vibrant recording.

It's one of his most ambitious scores in terms of orchestration (for a TV movie!), a love letter to the trombone, and the action cue ('A Dusty Death') shows Goldsmith's skills at translating intellectual concept into raw musical effect (note especially the big bang finale after 02:23).

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think so, but perhaps a smaller group augmented by synths which results in the slightly synthetic result. But perhaps it's just me!

Update. I had a quick scout through some of the tracks and there's definitely some orchestral instruments there... I'll listen more!

I listened to it some more and it does sound too perfect for a real orchestra.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I listened to it some more and it does sound too perfect for a real orchestra.

Yeah... it sounds just a bit too precise and rhythmic. Plus it's all mixed to hot (like Powell sometimes does himself). I think that might be an album just to recreate from the original tracks as it's a nice sampling.

On a totally unrelated subject, Dracula: Dead and Loving it by Hummie Mann is great. An almost entirely serious Dracula score rather than hamming it up too much. Although I don't really get all the debate about Kilar's Dracula score, I think it's great and really happy to have such an extensive presentation. I don't think I appreciated it enough before.

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

No score needs, or is served well by, three discs. That's three plus hours of music. Longer than the film it appears in.

Gluttony. Pure gluttony.

They could certainly have cut it down to two CDs by leaving the original album off. You would complain.

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

They could certainly have cut it down to two CDs by leaving the original album off

No! It has some exclusive stuff like Vampire Hunters! And the bonus stuff afterwards is great, the two unused suites are among my favourite tracks on the whole set!

I know you didn't mean it that way but this is not exactly "just" a thrown in OST on an extra disc like Superman or some Intrada releases.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

I know you didn't mean it that way but this is not exactly "just" a thrown in OST on an extra disc like Superman or some Intrada releases.

Perhaps - I didn't even (re-)listen to it because I've had the OST for some 25 years. But it's been released before (even if it's probably long OOP), so if you couldn't include a third disc, you could certainly justify leaving it off.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps - I didn't even (re-)listen to it because I've had the OST for some 25 years. But it's been released before (even if it's probably long OOP), so if you couldn't include a third disc, you could certainly justify leaving it off.

Or just slap the few minutes onto it that were specifically recorded for it. Though the really repetitive Vampire Hunters cue isn't making a big case for it.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Or just slap the few minutes onto it that were specifically recorded for it. Though the really repetitive Vampire Hunters cue isn't making a big case for it.

I guess in an iTunes/digital music player of your choice world, if space is a premium (or results in a release spilling into an extra disc for only a few minute of extra material), I would certainly be in favour of presenting the complete/expanded score and putting any specific album assemblies as bonus tracks so it’s easy enough take assemble the original album in a playlist. I’ve started replacing what in my iTunes is the “original album” with “album assemblies” selections where all of the tracks that are copies (or more or less copies) of the full thing are deleted. Sometimes there are some nice edits that make the music flow much better on the original album - a couple of the action cues in Star Trek V for example where snipping out a few bars makes it much more enjoyable and musical. But it’s nice to have the unedited versions too. However all the tracks that are the same (or I judge to be close enough!) are deleted.

I don’t know if this approach would have worked for Kilar’s Dracula but perhaps it may have done. Then again there are plenty of excellently assembled albums that it’s good to replicate in better sound both. For example I'm quite happy to have both the original album and complete presentations for Elfman’s Batman and M:I scores. We are all so fickle ;-) 

R-618001-1497009004-9279.jpeg.jpg

I tried to find a bigger cover, but failed miserably. This 1987 soundtrack is a rare thing! But it's always been one of my favourite Poledourises. I wish he had done this kind of elegant synth score more often (yes, I'm aware there are a few more, I know it was paired with CHERRY 2000 bla bla bla - so no need to tutor me).

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

On a totally unrelated subject, Dracula: Dead and Loving it by Hummie Mann is great. An almost entirely serious Dracula score rather than hamming it up too much. 

Indeed. It's one of my most wanted unreleased scores

Speaking of three CD set expansion just finnished to listen to AI: Artificial Intelligence (LLL) :love2:

A real pleasure as always my favourites tracks being Abandonned in the Woods (can't choose between the three version), the Mecha World, AI Theme and Where Dreams are Born.

JNH - The Green Hornet (the bootleg, because AFAIK it wasn't officially released)

JNH's own attempt to write like David Arnold's Bond scores, specially the 90s ones, by mixing electronics and orchestra. The result isn't always good, but it does have some terrific action material by the end.

I think he's mostly settled on Tom Holkenborg now, for the film scores. This was from 2016, kind of a transition period in terms of name usage.

fa09ba272df80392cbd803c252b41049.jpg

Despite the wacky cover, this 2012 effort is actually one of my favourite Badelt scores (very hard to come by, though). Reflective and psalm-like on some occasions, upbeat with occasional African colours on others.

R-1911512-1567766829-7959.jpeg.jpg

I have this one -- with the original (and in my opinion superior) cover. Pulsating, beautiful and eerie all at the same time, a bonafide classic.

5 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Allied (FYC) by Alan Silvestri

There are few Avengers-like cue but nothing really exciting here.

This score has grown on me. Haven't heard the FYC, only the OST.

81Xdrsrs6VL._SL1200_.jpg

This recording is unusual as it actually sounds like you're attending a live performance of an orchestra. It has that same, rather distant, natural sound. I listen to this score every 5 years. 

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This score has grown on me. Haven't heard the FYC, only the OST.

Well if you care to listen to it here's a link from the Web Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161201111526/http://www.paramountguilds.com/allied/score/

R-11873351-1523899461-6522.jpeg.jpg

Oldschool, "Golden Agey" score by Roque Banos, back in 2014 when he was an exciting voice. I have a 15-track promo, with the tracks just called "Track 1", "Track 2" etc., so I don't know how it compares to the official release, which apparently only has 12 tracks (and only 3 score tracks).

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. Why does he have two pairs of eyebrows?

The second are mouthbrows

Amistad by John Williams

Perfect but too short. Can't wait for the expansion, fingers cross for this year

Snow Falling on Cedars - James Newton Howard

I bought the CD at the highpoint of my JNH excitement, I think after the first 4 Shyamalan scores and King Kong.

I haven't seen the movie. But when I judge the movie from the score, I guess the title says it all. Probably all the time you see just snow falling on a cedar. Not much happening musically. Probably in the film too. Just snow floating down on a cedar. After 15 minutes music became a little louder. I guess there the snow starts falling on a second cedar. Choir breaks in after 27 minutes. I guess the weight of the the snow on the first cedar becomes too heavy and the stalk of the cedar starts to bend. Unbilievable...

What a boring score. Maybe it works fine in the film. But as a musical experience of itself it is not worth the effort.

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I bought the CD at the highpoint of my JNH excitement, I think after the first 4 Shyamalan scores and King Kong.

I haven't seen the movie. But when I judge the movie from the score, I guess the title says it all. Probably all the time you see just snow falling on a cedar. Not much happening musically. Probably in the film too. Just snow floating down on a cedar. After 15 minutes music became a little louder. I guess there the snow starts falling on a second cedar. Choir breaks in after 27 minutes. I guess the weight of the the snow on the first cedar becomes too heavy and the stalk of the cedar starts to bend. Unbilievable...

What a boring score. Maybe it works fine in the film. But as a musical experience of itself it is not worth the effort.

This is the most interesting review I've read in a long while!

41 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I must say I really enjoyed your review, despite totally disagreeing with your assessment of the score. It's one of JNH's finest, in my view