What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

ab67616d0000b273da17db34a01e3079919c6f4a

Orbital has been a fav of mine since the 90s, and I love it when they venture into film music. This remains their best, IMO - especially because their stuff was so marginalized in EVENT HORIZON. Slick neon beats meet sharp, weird textures.

(studio album-wise, my favs are DIVERSIONS, SNIVILISATION and BLUE ALBUM).

Bryan Transeau (BT) - The Fast and the Furious - Complete Principal Score (2001)

For such a testosterone-filled, goofy movie, the score multi-instrumentalist and DJ Bryan Transeau composed is oddly epic, atmospheric, with unsettling chord progressions and a 70-piece orchestra using wrecked car pieces as percussions. It's a shame the rest of the Fast Saga has such boring, copy-paste action movie soundtracks: this really surprised me.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yea I always liked BT's score for that!  Literally not of the 8 (!) followups have done anything for me, score wise

It's so weird, I rewatched the whole saga recently and had a ton of fun, but when I watched the first movie I immediately noticed something going on in the music (between all the needledrops haha)

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I am pretty sure this the first time my eyes have ever seen/noticed the name Brian Transeau

He's mostly known as BT in the trance/electronic music scene, but he actually has a classical background, so I was very curious to hear his orchestral work for this!

5 hours ago, redishere said:

Bryan Transeau (BT) - The Fast and the Furious - Complete Principal Score (2001)

For such a testosterone-filled, goofy movie, the score multi-instrumentalist and DJ Bryan Transeau composed is oddly epic, atmospheric, with unsettling chord progressions and a 70-piece orchestra using wrecked car pieces as percussions. It's a shame the rest of the Fast Saga has such boring, copy-paste action movie soundtracks: this really surprised me.

That's Brian with an I, but yeah -- great composer. Although I've struggled to get into some of his non-film albums. ELECTRONIC OPUS, for example, is very commercial. But I like some of his film work, like STEALTH, MONSTER, CATCH AND RELEASE.

Avengers: Age of Ultron by Brian Tyler and Danny Elfman

Avengers: Infinity War (Deluxe Edition) by Alan Silvestri

I continue my Avengers journey. AoU is quite okay, love the rearrangement of Elfman, few nice action cue from Tyler but the whole thing is way less good than the Silvestri's scores.

Infinity War is absolutely great! Lot of very good materials: Even for You, Help Arrives opening, IW (piano theme), Porch and the Thanos theme among my favorites

On 3/18/2021 at 6:05 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't need to take the Avatar CD out of its cover in order to have the best enjoyment of it.

....or just listen to MIGHTY JOE YOUNG , it's better precursor.

ab67616d0000b2739ea8df7c4aba65ed879d7748

Not very old, this is from last year. But one of 2020's best synth/pop-infused scores. Very "French" in style and tone (sensual and melancholic).

Barton Fink by Carter Burwell

Quite a disappointing score. Didn't really notice the score while watching the movie now I understand why....

Back to the Future by Alan Silvestri

My favourite Silvestri's score always a real pleasure to listen to it. Although I don't know if the Intrada Special Collection 2CD set brings really something more.

RegardingHenry.jpeg

I adore 90s drama Zimmer, with those spacey synth pianos and flutes, shuffling percussion and haunting melodies. I have Delerue's rejected score too, which is fine, but this is better. By the way, I saw this film in the cinema in 1991, that's how ancient I am.

Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog

by John Scott

Pretty nice 90s dramatic adventure score, some nice themes and some standout cues. 

Enjoyed in listening session with @Holkoand @The Illustrious Jerryon the 'ol Discord.  

Batman Begins by James Newton Howard & Hans Zimmer

I was rather disappointed while listening to that one again. This presentation doesn't serves well the score which sounds a lot better in the movie, an expansion would be welcomed after 15 years although I'm not sure one will be released before a while.

3 hours ago, The Big Man said:

That was only a decade ago.

Yes, feels that way.

ab67616d0000b27319585cfefdc81cb30713f45a

One more Zimmer tonight. Love this one from 1988, and I've weeded the album down to just the score cues. Three of them, totalling 24 minutes. Beautiful. Zimmer is at his very best in ethnic idioms, and this is no exception. Powerful, but "clean" (as opposed to the dense soundscapes he tends to do nowadays).

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

One more Zimmer tonight. Love this one from 1988, and I've weeded the album down to just the score cues. Three of them, totalling 24 minutes. Beautiful. Zimmer is at his very best in ethnic idioms, and this is no exception. Powerful, but "clean" (as opposed to the dense soundscapes he tends to do nowadays).

I can confirm that. I'm currently finishing Batman v Superman by Zimmer and Holkenborg which in spite of some sensitive cues is mostly a loud, massive and rather undelicat score not like he used to do

I like the BvS score. It has some truly great moments like Beautiful Lie, Day of the Dead, Is She with You and Men are Still Good. 

Among Zimmer's DCEU scores, it's better than Man of Steel but not as good as WW1984.

Yeah that's what I said few nice cues but mostly loud orchestration I think it might be reduce to 6 tracks:

1. Beautiful Lie

2. Their War Here (if you like MoS, cause let's be fair it's almost only MoS materials here)

3. The Red Capes are Coming

4. Is She With You

5. This is my World

6. Blood of my Blood (not the Djawadi's one though ;))

hyperbrawl-tournament-soundtrack.jpg

Never played the game, nor will I ever. But this was a nice discovery last year -- another great and lush synth(wave) score for the game industry. Too long at 78 minutes, though. Levine was an unknown name to me, untill I googled him and realized he's a veteran producer who's worked with the likes of Culture Club, The Clash and other acts.

Batman by Danny Elfman

The best Batman score so far (perhaps with the Dark Knight), such a beautiful theme and great action cues with in bonus the Waltz to the Death (sigh of happiness ...)

Note: I'd never paid attention to this but some of the drums in this score are very similar to the ones used in Horner's Aliens.

Challenge to you, Raiders, should you choose to accept it: Play some off-beat stuff. Not just the big blockbuster classics. Surprise me! :)

Just now, Thor said:

Challenge to you, Raiders, should you choose to accept it: Play some off-beat stuff. Not just the big blockbuster classics. Surprise me! :)

Yeah I should try this but you have to know that being almost born in this century I have a lot to catch up, still haven't listen to half of Goldsmith, or famous scores such as The Fugitive or Batman Returns for exemple.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Raiders, I suggest Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver or Roy Budd's retrospective score to The Phantom of the Opera (1925).

I haven't heard Lady Jane yet but did listen to the other which is terrific!!!

5 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I haven't heard Lady Jane yet but did listen to the other which is terrific!!!

Yeah, I remember now you said you like it a lot. I'm glad to finally have some positive influence on this board. ;)

5 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I have a lot to catch up, still haven't listen to half of Goldsmith

Just get those three compilation albums of re-recordings conducted by the man himself.

16 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Yeah I should try this but you have to know that being almost born in this century I have a lot to catch up,

Totally understand that. I was there myself, once upon a time. Devouring all the classics like if I were insatiable. We're here if you want recommendations. You just got two from JS. There are plenty more. Maybe that's for another thread, though. I'd like to "tailor" some suggestions for you, based on your preferences. I'm sure there are many others who will as well. Anyways....food for thought.

La Ragion Pura  by Ennio Morricone

A great Morricone's score that I just pick among all his scores on youtube. Never heard of the movie before but immediatly after the first track it's seemed so familiar, like a score I would have listen my whole life...

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

Raiders has seen it#😁

Of course! My favourite Kubrick so far, love the score assembled though. I maybe haven't listen to many scores yet but I've seen quite a lot of movie...

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, feels that way.

ab67616d0000b27319585cfefdc81cb30713f45a

Don't get why you love Zimmers African scores (as do I) but you don't like BLACK PANTHER?

Give it another try!

Casper (James Horner) - Having introduced by young niece and nephew to the film, had to listen to the score afterwards. One of Horner's loveliest main themes (and that's saying something), but plenty of other delightful themes that are easily overlooked. They really don't write music for kid's films like that any more. Even by his standards, 1995 was an astounding year, added to Casper there was Braveheart and Apollo 13 (one of which should have won the Oscar as I've oft mentioned - robbed, I tell you), two of his finest dramatic scores, as well as Jumanji (much better than I remembered), Balto (typically wonderful animated score) and Jade (which I failed to pick up from LLL!). Given how even the best composers these days have assistants to fill in the gaps when working on considerably fewer projects per year, it does make you wonder how Horner did it (not an invite for a mud slinging!).

Butterfly (Ennio Morricone) - Morricone in perhaps a more standard orchestral idiom, but beautifully haunting melodies. Although I don't remember it being in mono... from a film made in 1982! What happened there?! I think mine is the Laserlight release. Is there a stereo version!?

Pets United (David Newman) - Fun, but somewhat tiring Newman score. His hyperactive style for family friendly movies is in overdrive and the thematic material isn't really enough to sustain it. Not a patch on Desplat's Secret Life of Pets efforts, which are much more tuneful and charming. A shame Newman (D) gets such crappy assignments... still.

a-hidden-life.jpeg

Or The Village, Part 2, as I prefer to call it. 

No, I jest. This is some lovely stuff. Really proves that JNH is capable of pretty much anything.