What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Very happy to see you finally get into EM!😊

I've always been "into" him. Prior to his death, I had probably sampled some 150 of his works, and owned some 20. But the interest exploded after his death. Sampled about 300 more works over the course of several months, and added some 80 extra titles to my collection, so that it now totals about 100. Mostly lyrical stuff, occasionally some quirky/loungey/bizarre. Not really the dissonant stuff, although I sampled that too. That remains a Morricone frontier I need to get into.

ab67616d0000b2737de5177a69569dff2d8c5789

One of my runner-ups/honourable mentions last year, even though it went under the radar for most people. As with any and all BLACK BEAUTY adaptations, it's beautiful and spiritual (think reflective strings, harps and piano) more than it is upbeat and actioney. Which is a plus in my book.

I'm a new fan of Morricone, I have nothing against his music, but all the exploratory sounds of the 60's and 70s... I can't.  It's why I usually like re-recordings made by him, like the excellent "Morricone 60".

And you need to know Morricone made a lot of "alimentary" music in Italy before becoming a respected composer. His career as a "movie composer" took a little more time than others to lift up.

R-10259007-1494252803-5089.jpeg.jpg

Jazzy Americana score (with Bernstein's trademark odd meter ostinati) for a film that caused quite the ruckus back in the day. A young John Williams plays the piano.

His 4 early collaborations with Elmer Bernstein, as a piano player, is definitely a thing I must explore in the next years.

image.png

Indeed you have to. All of those are great. Do I remember correctly that his piano playing on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was refuted recently?

I actually found the discussion I was thinking about, and it was in relation to a couple of Mancini efforts. I guess that means that nobody has refuted John Williams playing on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD that I'm aware of, so you can add it to your discography.

NO.

I don't know if it's about this movie in particular, but we have cases where JW did played on the sessions, but not on the ones for the album... and well, my discography is about "albums"!

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I don't know if it's about this movie in particular, but we have cases where JW did played on the sessions, but not on the ones for the album.

I seem to remember that being the case, yes. I only have the RSNO rerecording, and the liner notes aren't particularly helpful in terms of personell on the original film sessions or original album.

LOL! Yeah, and those hands dangerously close to the netherregions of both. This was about as raunchy as you could get in 1958. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

ab67616d0000b2737de5177a69569dff2d8c5789

One of my runner-ups/honourable mentions last year, even though it went under the radar for most people. As with any and all BLACK BEAUTY adaptations, it's beautiful and spiritual (think reflective strings, harps and piano) more than it is upbeat and actioney. Which is a plus in my book.

Certainly went under my radar. Giving it a listen now... it's really quite lovely.

Lalo Schifrin & John E Davis - The Best of Mission Impossible: Then and Now

Hehe, my CD has the BMG Music Service info in place of a UPC, so I guess I picked this up as a teenager, probably after seeing and liking the 1996 film and score. 

The first half of the album is a bunch of Lalo Schifrin cues from the original '66 series, and it all pretty dang great!  Many cool and different variations of "The Plot".  The second half of the album is John E Davis cues from the 1988 reboot series, and is mostly kind of cheesy sounding but has some nice stuff.

This is then followed by a 15 minute interview with an actor from the original series, which I didn't care much about, but at one point him and the interviewer discuss the possibllity of them making a feature film one day, whiich is when I realized this CD is from 1992!

The last track is a recording of a live performance of a 6 minute suite of M:I music performed by the Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Lalo Schifrin (no date listed).  It's split into an about 3 minute breakdown of The Plot with an applause interruption, then about a 3 minute breakdown of the main theme.  Both arrangements are super jazzy and groovy, so present a kind of third take on the same basic ideas this album has.

Overall - Cool stuff!  I sort of regret missing out on the LLL 6CD box now.  Oh well.

ab67616d0000b2731bd9df7a4fec40b136e23049

A Daniel Radcliffe comedy/action film that also went under the radar to most people, I think. Haven't seen it, but I dig the score. Another runner-up last year. Some excellent synthwave tracks by the always-eclectic Rotthof. But the album is much too long at 67 minutes. This would work neatly at about 30-40 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's one of the worst films I've seen in the past 10 years

Don't start me on the worst films I saw in the past 10 years, do you have 4 hours before you?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's one of the worst films I've seen in the past 10 years

Sorry to hear it. At least a good score came out of it.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed you have to. All of those are great. Do I remember correctly that his piano playing on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD was refuted recently?

All releases are re-recordings, none of them featuring Williams at the piano. The actual soundtrack recording is yet to be released (assuming tapes for that one still exist).

Just now, Miguel Andrade said:

All releases are re-recordings, none of them featuring Williams at the piano. The actual soundtrack recording is yet to be released (assuming tapes for that one still exist).

It’s always been so cool to me that JW is the first thing you hear over the Universal logo when you watch the movie.

Thanks for the confirmation, Miguel. Even though I'm content with my RSNO rerecording, the original film tracks should be released for the historical value (if they're available). Including the Williams performance. Maybe some day. There are other Bernstein connections too -- although more tentative. Like Williams coming in at the tailend of GENERAL ELECTRIC THEATRE and doing some episodes, a series whose musical universe was first established by Bernstein. The album only contains Bernstein's material; hoping for other composers like JW to be represented at some point.

Happy birthday Maestro Silvestri!

Van Helsing OST

Father of the bride OST

Contact OST

Avengers: Infinity War (LP program)

Who framed Roger Rabbit OST (from the Expanded set)

The Abyss OST

Back to the future III (OST program, using the expanded release)

I remember seeing this in the theater and wondering what happened to Jennifer Connelly.  She was my #1 teenage crush after stuff like Rocketeer, Career Opportunities, and later Dark City, Requiem, Walking the Dead, Pollock, etc.... then she showed up in this looking like every other anorexic Hollywood actress.  The curves were all gone!

Oh wait, actually it was the Academy Awards where she won Best Supporting Actress (or maybe the next year where she presented that award? I can't remember now) It was like she wanted to slim down for The Hulk, but went too far!

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Horner - A Beautiful Mind

This is a score I completely ignored when it came out, and now finally appreciate 20 years later.  The piano work is gorgeous, but there's also cool brass and string passages.  The mood the score creates is pretty great, you feel like you're delving into the mind of someone who can't escape theirs.  

I will neglect this score no further, it's a good one!

One of the best of his 'post-Titanic' era. Damn, he knew what a scene needed. That opening cue is stunning (despite being yet another version of the Sneakers motif, but I'm waaay over that now).  

Yes, I have largely ignored his post-Titanic, pre-Avatar era, but I'm starting to make up for it now!  This is easily the one I've enjoyed most that I've revisited from that era so far

There's a lot of great scores from Horner post-Titanic:

-Deep Impact

-Bicentennial Man

-The Perfect Storm

-A Beautiful Mind

-Enemy at the Gates

-Windtalkers

-House of Sand and Fog

-Troy

-The New World

And probably some more.

20210326_155717.jpg

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

-House of Sand and Fog

Still on my wishlist!   Woops, just ordered on Amazon! (+ The Amazing Spider-Man)

Mask of Zorro is okay, though not one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for the expansion, as apparently there's some great deal of music missing from the OST.

Amazing Spider-Man is good, but it's from his post-Avatar era.

Waterworld yesterday. Love it.

Had another Discord listening party today with @Disco Stu, @The Illustrious Jerry and @SteveMc - today's menu was the fantastic Prometheus rerecording of the wonderful Rózsa's masterful Thief of Bagdad - a somewhat edited down program, my manieth listen, their first. While we all agreed it was great, it was fun to see different people find different things to take note of more in this rich and varied score, some took to the choral and more impressionist writing (The Market, The Storm and Aftermath, The Golden Tent), while others really clicked onto the themes (Abu's especially) and all their variations that the master puts them through. All in all a really fun time for all, thanks for joining, gents!

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Mask of Zorro is okay, though not one of my favorites. I'm still waiting for the expansion, as apparently there's some great deal of music missing from the OST.

Isn't that post-TITANIC?😳

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

In unknown zone, altought I absolutely love Angele Dubeau.

Tracks 3 and 6 on that album contain some of the best music ever written for video games

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Tracks 3 and 6 on that album contain some of the best music ever written for video games

Great 9 and 11 minutes suites!

Neo noir mood

Alan Silvestri - Who framed Roger Rabbit OST

Jerry Goldsmith - LA Confidential OST

JW - The Long Goodbye (the short playlist made with the Quartet release)

image.png

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Waterworld yesterday. Love it.

Had another Discord listening party today with @Disco Stu, @The Illustrious Jerry and @SteveMc - today's menu was the fantastic Prometheus rerecording of the wonderful Rózsa's masterful Thief of Bagdad - a somewhat edited down program, my manieth listen, their first. While we all agreed it was great, it was fun to see different people find different things to take note of more in this rich and varied score, some took to the choral and more impressionist writing (The Market, The Storm and Aftermath, The Golden Tent), while others really clicked onto the themes (Abu's especially) and all their variations that the master puts them through. All in all a really fun time for all, thanks for joining, gents!

Some bits made me wish Rozsa wrote an opera!  But the whole score is magnificent, great to hear Rozsa develop his style here.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

When watching Mask of Zorro I always get irritated hearing the Aliens score at the scene of Don Rafaels return.

This:

https://youtu.be/wnPJRJbVEIg?list=PLH9C08qrQ7S6uEqnEWzVJsr5J_DhB4zkN&t=163