What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

33 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...and that, folks, is Horner in a nutshell.

Yes. I recently was thinking about Horner during the discussion about key scores in the development of John Williams scoring style.

For Horner it would probably be much obvious and easier checking on when certian themes, tunes or motifs were used by Horner the first time before he reused them in the following scores.

David Newman - Paradise

Delightful score, great textures, maybe reminiscent of Horner at times.

The thing is that, despite some recurring motifs, I always prefer themes with austere boundaries just like Williams/Goldsmith ones.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

Neo noir mood

Alan Silvestri - Who framed Roger Rabbit OST

Jerry Goldsmith - LA Confidential OST

JW - The Long Goodbye (the short playlist made with the Quartet release)

image.png

same mood for this cozy morning!

John Barry - Body Heat (the JB Soundtrack Album)

Bernard Herrmann - Taxi Driver (complete score)

Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown OST (from the Expanded set)

Black Panther (FYC) by Ludwig Göransson

Not really much thing in it compared to the OST. Still love that score. My second favourite Göransson's score and actually the only one I can properly listen to.

Thrillers!

John Williams - Munich OST
James Newton Howard - The Fugitive OST
Danny Elfman - Mission Impossible (The original score)
Tomas Newman - The Good German OST
Bernard Herrmann - 5 Fingers (Stromberg Re-recording)
Wojciech Kilar - The Ninth Gate OST
Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct OST
John Williams - Presumed Innocent OST

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

John Barry - Body Heat (the JB Soundtrack Album)

Bernard Herrmann - Taxi Driver (complete score)

Jerry Goldsmith - Chinatown OST (from the Expanded set)

...then

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

John Williams - Munich OST

James Newton Howard - The Fugitive OST
Danny Elfman - Mission Impossible (The original score)
Tomas Newman - The Good German OST
Bernard Herrmann - 5 Fingers (Stromberg Re-recording)
Wojciech Kilar - The Ninth Gate OST
Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct OST
John Williams - Presumed Innocent OST

Now, just a damn minute!

You listened to all those in two hours?!

JNH - The Village (complete)

One of the best scores of James' career, but I never warmed to the official OST, which omitted some excellent cues. In complete and chronological form the score plays much better. 

Black Sunday by John Williams

Simply great! Williams certainly succeed to write something terrific between two of the greatest scores of all times. Quite amazing to think that this one might be seen just as a little bonus for the year 1977 when it contains great action cues and source music.

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently listening to them.

It's a 6 h 13 playlist!

image.png

VLC doesn't crash with that much music? I remember having stop using it because there was some small interruptions while playing just one album.

I usually listen my music with Winamp, but I tweaked it to remove the blank between songs, and almost make a perfect mix without gap between the songs. It's great for listening an expanded score by example (Jaws or the HP scores, etc)!

But today, I want all the silences hehe

FIXED (yes VLC still freeze playing FLACs) grrrr

image.png

4 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Black Panther (FYC) by Ludwig Göransson

Not really much thing in it compared to the OST. Still love that score. My second favourite Göransson's score and actually the only one I can properly listen to.

Wish I could find a copy of that.

Interested in a trade?

I'll settle for a cdr😊

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Black Sunday by John Williams

Simply great! Williams certainly succeed to write something terrific between two of the greatest scores of all times. Quite amazing to think that this one might be seen just as a little bonus for the year 1977 when it contains great action cues and source music.

VLC doesn't crash with that much music? I remember having stop using it because there was some small interruptions while playing just one album.

Was BS the last score that didn't get a contemporary ost released?

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. I recently was thinking about Horner during the discussion about key scores in the development of John Williams scoring style.

For Horner it would probably be much obvious and easier checking on when certian themes, tunes or motifs were used by Horner the first time before he reused them in the following scores.

WOLFEN is really the template for his subsequent scores.

Still my favorite of his!😍

On 3/26/2021 at 5:15 AM, Thor said:

R-10259007-1494252803-5089.jpeg.jpg

Jazzy Americana score (with Bernstein's trademark odd meter ostinati) for a film that caused quite the ruckus back in the day. A young John Williams plays the piano.

Was that poster used for the one sheet?

Seems impossible- areola is visible!

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

Wish I could find a copy of that.

Interested in a trade?

I'll settle for a cdr😊

Well I don't own it physically, just got a copy on the FYC website

:music: Marvel's Spider-Man by Joe Paesano. It is probably not the most distinctive of scores as far as the concept goes. Similarily to Arkham game scores, it seems to bring together the elements of different sounds from the big screen interpretations of the character - notably Elfman and MCU sound. The main theme isn't that distinctive but Paesano manages to create enough variations throughout to make it work. And it is quite memorable. The 80+ minute album is a big of a slog as you don't really need all of this but, for the most part, it feels more solid than the majority of current superhero music. So yeah, probably the least stylistically specific of Spider-Man scores but quite a pleasant one nonetheless.

And yes, it took me 2 and a half year to finally give it a listen. But I've found a high-res promo sitting on my hard drive the other day while looking for something else so decided to give it a chance.

Karol

I ought to listen to that soon, given how much I didn't mind the few bits I heard. In the pantheon of Spidey themes, it's not particularly high. It's better than Pemberton's, but I think I get more of a kick out of Giacchino's and even Zimmer's theme. Granted, I had more time to sit with those, but at its core, Paesano's theme feels a bit more like standard superhero fare. But that's only one aspect, so I'll try to get my hands on the OST soon, given how massive the game rip is (with its own cue numbers, weirdly enough).

His theme actually reminds me, oddly, of this (but more interesting and graceful) Danny Elfman theme. The opening is almost identical to Paesano's logo music:

Karol

Oh wow, it never occurred to me to make that connection!

I mean, it would be better on the virtue of it actually being properly utilized within the score itself. Elfman's theme (which I feel is on par with JXL's main theme in ZSJL) would come off a lot better if it had more presence instead of only really appearing like 2-4 times as a whole. Admittedly, that probably is an issue with much of the themes in his JL effort, but that particular one sticks out as a result of intending to be the theme for the titular group.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I don't remember much of the score for the 2018 game, but Paesano's Miles Morales was a pretty great mix of hip hop and orchestra.

I got PS5 with this game some weeks ago. But I'm about to move in a couple of weeks so decided to not start this game just yet. Looking forward to it. :)

6 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Oh wow, it never occurred to me to make that connection!

I mean, it would be better on the virtue of it actually being properly utilized within the score itself. Elfman's theme (which I feel is on par with JXL's main theme in ZSJL) would come off a lot better if it had more presence instead of only really appearing like 2-4 times as a whole. Admittedly, that probably is an issue with much of the themes in his JL effort, but that particular one sticks out as a result of intending to be the theme for the titular group.

You see, it is quite frequently used in the second half of the score. The main problem, I think, is that it doesn't have particular setting that feels like the main thing. It has dozens of variations, all very different in terms of orchestration and rhythm, that it might not occur to the listener it is in fact the same theme. That is why Age of Ultron theme was much better executed. Also, for some reason Justice League has two themes? I understand one has to do with Batman (as it hints at Elfman's theme) and the one we discuss is a more hopeful and sunny one.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I got PS5 with this game some weeks ago. But I'm about to move in a couple of weeks so decided to not start this game just yet. Looking forward to it. :)

It's a great game! One of my favorites from the last year. If you liked the 2018 Spidey you'll gonna like Miles Morales as well.

15 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

WOLFEN is really the template for his subsequent scores.

Still my favorite of his!😍

I just knew the score of Krull, then watched Wolfen and, yes, I can confirm.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

BABYLON BERLIN v. Two

It's just a pitty that they didn't put the accoustic version of "Du bist alles" on the disc that we get to hear in the show, just the pop version. 

22 hours ago, filmmusic said:

David Newman - Paradise

Delightful score, great textures, maybe reminiscent of Horner at times.

The thing is that, despite some recurring motifs, I always prefer themes with austere boundaries just like Williams/Goldsmith ones.

One of  my absolute D. Newman favs. Maybe even top 3.

NKEUbB7wbhI6Zi0UJ4klIOvujYowaYGmruzjmWFG

Haven't played any JW in months, I think, so just a little Sunday dose. It's a short affair, so quickly on to.....:

Not technically a soundtrack (so I could have posted it in both the rock/pop thread and the electronic thread), but several of the cues were used in season 3 of TWIN PEAKS. I just adore Johnny Jewel's dreamy soundscapes.

R-4019370-1556709815-7351.jpeg.jpg

Seafaring score from 1990, but not really broad and sweeping. More rhytmical - love those undulating pan pipes on "Ship Hunters".

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Haven't played any JW in months, I think, so just a little Sunday dose. It's a short affair, so quickly on to.....:

I think I've never pass a day where I don't listen to, at least, 20 minutes of the maestro. You should listen to more of him before falling in the infiniteness emptiness! :biglaugh:

Sequel quotes over prequel scenes for internet points : PrequelMemes

Black Swan by Clint Mansell

A nice score. I love Tchaïkovski's Лебединое озеро so I naturaly like this one.

Just now, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I think I've never pass a day where I don't listen to, at least, 20 minutes of the maestro. You should listen to more of him before falling in the infiniteness emptiness! :biglaugh:

He, he. Well, you're young and still in your "exploration phase". I've listened intently to Williams for 30 years, and know pretty much everything he's done by heart, so I occasionally need some breaks. There have been times where I haven't listened to JW for a year. Makes coming back to him all the greater, like a friend you haven't seen in a while.

Just now, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Black Swan by Clint Mansell

A nice score. I love Tchaïkovski's Лебединое озеро so I naturaly like this one.

Beautiful score; great "dark" variations on ol' Pjotr as well.

Just now, Thor said:

He, he. Well, you're young and still in your "exploration phase". I've listened intently to Williams for 30 years, and know pretty much everything he's done by heart, so I occasionally need some breaks. There have been times where I haven't listened to JW for a year. Makes coming back to him all the greater, like a friend you haven't seen in a while.

If you get tired of the old OSTs, perhaps listening to an expansion now and then will make the music sound fresher. ;)

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he. Well, you're young and still in your "exploration phase".

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is (Yoda).gif

Otherwise I see your point.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Beautiful score; great "dark" variations on ol' Pjotr as well.

I've needed time to get into those dark variations but now each time I listen to it I appreciate it more.

18 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Was BS the last score that didn't get a contemporary ost released?

Assuming you're asking about JW scores and not all scores that exist, the answer is Heartbeeps in 1981 was the last film he scored that didn't get an OST album

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Assuming you're asking about JW scores and not all scores that exist, the answer is Heartbeeps in 1981 was the last film he scored that didn't get an OST album

So the Varese edition is just an expansion, not to be considered as an OST album?

BlacKkKlansman (OST + FYC) by Terrence Blanchard

Blut und Boden is absolutely terrific. Lot of good things here although the FYC is clearly sufficient as it contains all the highlights without the uninterresting stuff.

49 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

So the Varese edition is just an expansion, not to be considered as an OST album?

It's neither an expansion nor an OST. It's a premiere release, and most premiere releases in the last couple of decades have been C&C (or close to it) from the get-go. Same as with NONE BUT THE BRAVE, GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN etc. etc. Scores that never had a properly curated OST to begin with.

ab67616d0000b273db857bf16ffd756120d52131

A shame this wasn't used in DREDD, because I prefer it over the Leonard-Morgan score. Lean, clean and Carpenter-inspired to the fullest.

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

It's a catalog release, a specialty label going into the archives decades later and releasing the entire score.  Generally, "OST album" is used to refer to the album that came out around the same time the film, in JW's case always crafted by him to present a curated selection of the music in the order he wants, usually also containing material recorded specifically for the album.  In Heartbeeps case, WIlliams never got to do that, and the Varese album is them licensing every cue recorded from Universal and putting them on disc 20 years later.

There are 28 feature film scores Williams wrote that didn't get an OST album, you can see a list of them here

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32706-john-williams-scores-by-music-label/

My Dopamine Release Playlist is based on a scientific study made by Montreal McGill College, btw.

Listen to this playlist and you'll feel like you had great sex!

The listening of the expanded set of A.I. is almost a religious experience!

Now, in the event that I buy this CD below, it is an assumption, I would like to know if one, it would affect my reputation here, and two, if I should classify it in the 'G' or in the 'Z'?

R-904342-1288375698.jpeg?bucket=discogs-

8 hours ago, Thor said:

One of  my absolute D. Newman favs. Maybe even top 3.

NKEUbB7wbhI6Zi0UJ4klIOvujYowaYGmruzjmWFG

Not technically a soundtrack (so I could have posted it in both the rock/pop thread and the electronic thread), but several of the cues were used in season 3 of TWIN PEAKS. I just adore Johnny Jewel's dreamy soundscapes.

Yeah..his cues on TP are great!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

...I would like to know if one, it would affect my reputation here, and two, if I should classify it in the 'G' or in the 'Z'?

R-904342-1288375698.jpeg?bucket=discogs-

It's alphabetical, so it's G, for Glennie-Smith.

It's also Zimmer, so your reputation will automatically take a fucking nose dive.

I file it under Zimmer too, even though NGS was the main creative force.

23084.jpg

Largely overlooked Moroder score. It's great - both the songs and score. Love the car chase cue, in particular.