What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

Trevor Jones - Dark City (OST)

Ha!  I had forgotten the score tracks were preceded by pop & rock songs; There's the 2 jazz standard sung in the film "by" Jennifer Connelly, and the film's trailer cue... and 3 then tracks that are soooooooooo 90s alt-rock it made me smile (none of these became hits - I never even heard them on the radio once)

Jones' score is fun!  The main action theme is a banger and it gets used well in the 3 tracks it appears in.  The score portion of this is short and sweet.  I'd enjoy hearing the complete score some day

This is a film you have to watch in FULL SCREEN!

😎

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about this one, where the music's arranged for a proper orchestra? :)

Orchestras can go suck a donkey's stick! I don't like that version. Only Vangelis can do Vangelis justice....with some very few exceptions, like the aforementioned Klepacki game score.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ha!  I had forgotten the score tracks were preceded by pop & rock songs; There's the 2 jazz standard sung in the film "by" Jennifer Connelly, and the film's trailer cue... and 3 then tracks that are soooooooooo 90s alt-rock it made me smile (none of these became hits - I never even heard them on the radio once)

Jones' score is fun!  The main action theme is a banger and it gets used well in the 3 tracks it appears in.  The score portion of this is short and sweet.  I'd enjoy hearing the complete score some day

I love this score - I used to play just the finale, but the moody rest of it is also delicious. There's something elusive about it that I haven't really found in anything else, so when I play it once, it usually sticks around in my playlist for a couple of days. I like all but two of the songs, too, so it's a good overall package. I'd be interested in hearing a complete presentation of the score, but I haven't yet noticed anything significant in the film that I miss on CD.

It should be pointed out that in the film, the two songs sung by Jennifer Connelly *are* sung *by* her, and reasonably well (i.e. absolutely fine for her character, if certainly not on the same level as Anita Kelsey's). Or rather, the theatrical cut uses the Anita Kelsey vocals also found on the album, but the Director's Cut (which unlike the TC doesn't spoil the ending in the very opening shot) has Connelly's own performances.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Jones' score is fun!  The main action theme is a banger and it gets used well in the 3 tracks it appears in.  

That action theme is a total Stravinsky lift, but Jones does great things with it:

Great selection of tracks in the OST. I suspect the complete score might drag a lot more

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It should be pointed out that in the film, the two songs sung by Jennifer Connelly *are* sung *by* her, and reasonably well (i.e. absolutely fine for her character, if certainly not on the same level as Anita Kelsey's). Or rather, the theatrical cut uses the Anita Kelsey vocals also found on the album, but the Director's Cut (which unlike the TC doesn't spoil the ending in the very opening shot) has Connelly's own performances.

I know all this. But when the OST album came out, only the theatrical cut existed 

500x500.jpg

It's almost impossible to go wrong with Armstrong, and I was again delighted by this compilation from 2019 - although, again, I could be without the dialogue. The "Orphans" theme is broad Americana in the style of JW. This is laidback - often based on cautious pianos and slowmoving strings - but very sophisticated stuff.

It's that time of the year again, and unfailingly i drag out my all-time film music easter favourites of blessed Hollywood at its best. Here you get the majestic and the solemn side by side and it ain't get much better than that.

Indeed. I still consider "The Prayer of Our Lord" the greatest psalm ever written that isn't really an established psalm.

ab67616d0000b273795c8b83d7fa2054ad4785cb

Aka SWOON in English. Lovely, old-school orchestral score -- plenty of waltzes! ("Welcome to Gröna Lund" is very Elfman) -- that few have heard (about). Certainly a highlight in 2019. Displays a completely different side of Mechaly than the Europacorp films (the TAKEN movies, COLOMBIANA etc.). Highly recommended.

8 hours ago, Romão said:

That action theme is a total Stravinsky lift, but Jones does great things with it:

Yes, but the more you get used to it, the less you think of Stravinsky. Jones really just copied the motif; how he arranges it and what he does with it is something totally different.

It also lends itself well to incomplete statements. Much of the score sounds like a medley or blend of different bits and pieces (perhaps to add a certain dreamlike quality to the film, along with the rather fluent way the film handles time and speed).

:music: The Passion of the Christ Symphony. The majority of it is great. As long as Debney sticks to a more traditional solemn writing things are well. The funny thing is the weakest parts of this are the bits quoted from the film score. That, and bit over the top finale. The new material introduced in this work is the highlight of Debney's career. Fortunately, it represents the sheer majority of this mammoth work.

Karol

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

Lincoln by John Williams

I've decided today to revisit Williams' most intimist scores from the XXIst (if I can call them this way). They are incredible! Really hope he'll we able to write another one in the future.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Promo or boot?

Shh!

:music: The Gospel of John. It is one of those miraculous scores that manages to actually successfully combine ethnic instruments and vocals with the symphony orchestra and even 18 years later not sound dated at all. Kudos to Jeff Danna for his restraint and for finding that nice sweet spot where the score is not overbearing with its post-Gladiator clichés elements but also doesn't swamp us with Golden Age melodrama. Now this is how you do it. Classy.

Karol

Seems like a lot of people are listening to biblical scores today. Makes sense. I actually did a podcast episode on this topic during Easter 2014. It's in Norwegian, but if you're looking for a pretty great playlist, check out the playlist underneath the player itself: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-15-musikk-fra-episke-bibelfilmer/

ab67616d0000b273023b1c94530326ea77002204

Never seen the film, as sports-related fiction films aren't really my cup of tea, but the score for this 2011 film is marvelous. Big and epic when called for, with impressive choral forces, but also lyrical and magical à la Doyle's "Harry in Winter". 

44 minutes ago, Thor said:

Seems like a lot of people are listening to biblical scores today. Makes sense. I actually did a podcast episode on this topic during Easter 2014. It's in Norwegian, but if you're looking for a pretty great playlist, check out the playlist underneath the player itself: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-15-musikk-fra-episke-bibelfilmer/

Hey, you should put this as a "from the archives" article on the main page!

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hey, you should put this as a "from the archives" article on the main page!

I've done it twice in the past (I think I've shared the Christmas episode at least three times during subsequent holidays), so I wanted to stand this one out. :)

ab67616d0000b273ffdf7be15f6131e8dc98b874

Hugely entertaining synthwave score from 2015 that plays around with pop culture tropes and classic songs from the 80s. Their take on Toto's "Africa" is fun, for example. Never seen the show, but I intend to at some point.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have the feeling John Williams wrote so many beautiful and complex music in the last 20 years, that I will need another 20 years to absorb it.

I agree with Bespin 100%

:music: The Passion of the Christ. This time the complete score. I have to admit I was bit disappointed with the LLL album when it came out. The OST was a very well assembled listening experience while the complete score felt very scattered around. Having said that, it is one of the strongest examples of World Music type of approach in film scoring. A lot of these things felt kind of lazy back in the day. Yes, Debney's score is everything but the kitchen sink but at least it still feels heartfelt and there are quite a few gorgeous solos sprinkled throughout and some nice detail. Just like the film, the score feels like too much at times but the composer clearly poured his heart into the project.

Karol

WHEN NIGHT IS FALLING- Lesley Barber

I can't quite explain why I like this. I guess cuz it's original and varied.

I now have three women composers in my collection. Im getting there😊

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Reported!

There was a female uber- feminist on FSM who not only lacked any.sense of.humor.but made the NUN in GOT look like a harlot.

You don't want to follow her example.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, but the more you get used to it, the less you think of Stravinsky. Jones really just copied the motif; how he arranges it and what he does with it is something totally different.

Indeed, the basic motif might be same, but Jones really makes it his own. Its maleability and applications were not at all apparent by listening to the Rite of Spring alone. It's a lift done in the best possible way

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It also lends itself well to incomplete statements. Much of the score sounds like a medley or blend of different bits and pieces (perhaps to add a certain dreamlike quality to the film, along with the rather fluent way the film handles time and speed).

That's a really great point. Never thought it about it that way

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Passion of the Christ. This time the complete score. I have to admit I was bit disappointed with the LLL album when it came out. The OST was a very well assembled listening experience while the complete score felt very scattered around. Having said that, it is one of the strongest examples of World Music type of approach in film scoring. A lot of these things felt kind of lazy back in the day. Yes, Debney's score is everything but the kitchen sink but at least it still feels heartfelt and there are quite a few gorgeous solos sprinkled throughout and some nice detail. Just like the film, the score feels like too much at times but the composer clearly poured his heart into the project.

Karol

I don't know. A lot of it still feels a little too "Hollywood doing World Music" to give it even that much credit. There are some quieter moments that are nice, but overall, still seems like a major waste of an opportunity, artistically at least. I haven't heard the symphony though. Is it better?

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

Shh!

:music: The Gospel of John. It is one of those miraculous scores that manages to actually successfully combine ethnic instruments and vocals with the symphony orchestra and even 18 years later not sound dated at all. Kudos to Jeff Danna for his restraint and for finding that nice sweet spot where the score is not overbearing with its post-Gladiator clichés elements but also doesn't swamp us with Golden Age melodrama. Now this is how you do it. Classy.

Karol

This, on the other hand, is quite excellent.

For a change, an original irish film score, no Hollywood dilution, called Mise Éire ("I am Ireland") about the founding of the Irish Republic. Composer Seán Ó Riada composed orchestral music for theatre and film, combining traditional Irish tunes and songs in the classical tradition, similar to composers such as Dvořák, Bartók and Ralph Vaughan Williams and was through his incorporation of modern and traditional techniques the single most influential irish figure in the revival of Irish traditional music during the 1960s.

In 1959 he scored this documentary and it's truly like an *oirish* Vaughan Williams and highly recommendable for fans of the ascending lark and the english folk song suites.

6 hours ago, KK said:

I don't know. A lot of it still feels a little too "Hollywood doing World Music" to give it even that much credit. There are some quieter moments that are nice, but overall, still seems like a major waste of an opportunity, artistically at least. I haven't heard the symphony though. Is it better?

The majority of it is new material. Feels somewhat closer to stuff like Da Vinci Code. This is one of the movements:

Karol

Looney Tunes: Back in Action (Deluxe Edition) by Jerry Goldsmith

A nice expansions although I find quite weird to have the voice from the recording sessions in the second half. The score in itself is absolutely great. Love those Goldsmith fun scores, especially the chase theme here which is quite close to the Gremlin Rag.

God, the way the reverb of the strings chords melts with the windy ambient in the background ... An eargasm on a good sound system. In a way, it's a minimalistic ode to Ennio.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

What about this one, where the music's arranged for a proper orchestra? :)

Blade Runner - Orchestral Adaptation Of Music Composed For The Motion Picture

When the movie came out, I was dissapointed to watch a science fiction film with Harrison Ford without symphonic score. But soon I got over it and I can hardly imagine other sounds to this movie. Sometimes synth scores in the 80s sounded somewhat cheap. Not this one. I am not sure, if Vangelis' score would really benefit from a symphonic arrangement. Would probably be worth a try.

58 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

When the movie came out, I was dissapointed to watch a science fiction film with Harrison Ford without symphonic score. But soon I got over it and I can hardly imagine other sounds to this movie. Sometimes synth scores in the 80s sounded somewhat cheap. Not this one. I am not sure, if Vangelis' score would really benefit from a symphonic arrangement. Would probably be worth a try.

Well, here it is. :)

I spent the Easter listening to 90s action scores: Goldsmith's U.S. Marshalls and Silvestri's Volcano. 

The latter was quite good, more dramatic than his other action scores from that era. Parts of it reminded me of Infinity War. 

Now I'm listening to The Last Jedi complete score and remembering of the movie's opening weekend - one of the best days of the last decade.

I watched the movie in a crowded IMAX on its opening Sunday with three friends and I was mesmerized by the movie. When it ended, I had to catch my breath for a minute. Then we went to discuss the film on the mall's food area, and one of my friends is a big fan of the Dark Side of the Force. He was utterly pissed with how Luke tricked Kylo and made a fool of him :D .

Me and the other guys liked the movie just fine, and I was certain it would enjoy a mostly positive reaction from the audiences. Oh boy, I was wrong... but despite the internet turning to a battlefield because of the subverted expectations, it was still a great, happy day at the movies for me.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Um... that doesn't sound like a friend you can count on.

Lol.

He is not much of a Star Wars fanatic, but he likes the more mystical side of the franchise. He's a fan of the Dark Side because he considers it much more powerful than the Light Side and because he thinks the Sith are way cooler and more badass than the Jedi.

Which is why he despised Kylo as a villain. On his view, poor Ben Solo was just a spoiled, whiny brat, not someone worthy of the Dark Side powers.