What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Cinderella Liberty by John Williams.

This is a great score! When I started listening to JW's music, this was the third record album that I bought. To this day, it's still in my top 10 JW scores.

14 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

This is a great score! When I started listening to JW's music, this was the third record album that I bought. To this day, it's still in my top 10 JW scores.

I wouldn't go that far (unless you count all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores as one) but this score is surely underrated.

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You hipster!

R-3320107-1325617127.jpeg.jpg

All this talk about THE MATRIX made me want to pull out this ol' gem again as my final choice of the day. It has some wild writing (occasionally modernistic, but mostly romantic), but whenever I play it, I'm also struck by the more down-tempo, beautiful segments, making me say "ah, I didn't remember it had that too". Every single time.

ab67616d0000b273fa4924fdf74856873fa0b384

Beautiful, orchestrally sophisticated 2013 score from one of Norway's most underrated - and underused - composers. But he insists on living in our country's 8th biggest city, and the film production is much, much lower there than in the "top 3-4", so to speak. I've tried to get him to Oslo, but he won't budge.

Weird, it does to me. But I read something about Discogs prohibiting hotlinking lately (presumably not available to view for certain browsers), so I changed to Spotify's pic instead.

I suppose to a foreigner, all Norwegian composers would be underrated. Except maybe Edvard Grieg.

ab67616d0000b273939b21b8963d2da27dcb7f6d

This 2016 soundtrack is one of those solid, organic efforts where Mark Suozzo's original music blends in with a large range of classical music. It works conceptually.

ab67616d0000b273f7843b3027c4cda01e056f18

Wacky and delightful. I've decided to go through my Elfman soundtrack collection by year again. Inbetween listening to other things, that is. But no worries -- I'm not going to do "Now Playing" posts of all 110 Elfman soundtracks I have.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wacky and delightful. I've decided to go through my Elfman soundtrack collection by year again. Inbetween listening to other things, that is. But no worries -- I'm not going to do "Now Playing" posts of all 110 Elfman soundtracks I have.

You could.

I've never count but how many scores did Elfman writes in his career?

12 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Thor said the 110 Elfman soundtracks he has, not every score he's ever released or credits he's received for short films or DVD supplementary docos. Way for a "gotcha" to backfire!

I think you misread the flow of posts in this thread.  Try again

I took my first listen to The Long Goodbye today. I like this unique entry into Williams's oeuvre, but boy, does the repetition make for an earworm of gargantuan proportions...

On 4/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I wouldn't go that far (unless you count all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones scores as one) but this score is surely underrated.

Horses for courses, Mr. trArk.

None of the 9 SW scores, or the 4 IJ scores by JW, would be in my top-10, but that's just a personal choice.

On 4/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

You hipster!

I was a hipster before the term "hipster" was coined.

23 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (40th Anniversary Edition).jpg

:worship:

Quite simply, the greatest score that JW has ever composed. I know no other way of describing it.

Obsession - Bernard Herrmann

Sounds to me like a classical Herrmann score for a Hitchcock movie apart from the extensive use of a female choir. Funnily, even though this was a de Palma movie the choir work reminds me a lot of how John Williams used the same sound about a year later in Family Plot for Hitchcock.

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

R-7815479-1504538333-4292.jpeg.jpg

This CD sounded particularly good on my pure malt speakers. 

My impression was that it's very well recorded. The score itself leaves me a bit unmoved, just like the movie did. I haven't listened to it all that much though ... 

34 minutes ago, AC1 said:

My impression was that it's very well recorded. The score itself leaves me a bit unmoved, just like the movie did. I haven't listened to it all that much though ... 

Hey even dud music can be made enjoyable though good recording and mastering.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Alberto Inglesias' TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY is a brilliant score, from an outstanding, and very classy film.

I find it a bit to boring. The story wasn't much interesting and the great cast didn't succeed to make me forget that.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The first time I listen to it in years. And it's perfect! :lovethis:

Years?!? Are you nuts? A that long abstinence might have killed you! :lol:

The Cowboys (The Deluxe Edition).jpg

Great presentation for a very fun score. Really liked this western Bernstein-like effort from the maestro.