What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 hours ago, LSH said:

tarzan.jpg

I didn't even know this existed until now. Crikey, it's brilliant!

This is tons of fun. Thanks for the tip haha 

face-of-a-fugitive.jpg

This type of score is not really my cuppa tea, sorry. Also, except for the bonus source cues, I can't hear any Williams-performed piano in it. Must be buried deep down.

ab67616d0000b2734fefdf291eb8ff2ec9f15c31

Aka the rejected score from LA LENGUA DE LAS MARIPOSAS from 1999 (director-composer Alejandro Amenàbar ended up scoring it). Hard to believe it was rejected; maybe it was too beautiful in a kind of Morricone/WHAT DREAMS MAY COME situation. Regardless, this was my first encounter with Illaramendi two decades ago, whom I consider a sort of modern-day Delerue.

James Horner - 48 Hrs (Intrada)

Fun little 29 minute score!  I love how different it is from his other big 1982 Hollywood score (Star Trek II), and how the initial steel drum and saxophone aesthetic gradually gives way to dark percussion, low brass, and funky electronics.  It's also a bummer to learn that the melody from "Futile Escape" and "Newt Is Taken" wasn't written for that film, but taken directly from this score where it's the theme for the bad guy and appears in "The Walden Hotel" and "The Alley".  Oh well.

The songs by The Busboys are fun too!

Haven't played this in ages! It's Newman's classic 90s, "skewed" style combined with some latin flavours and whatnot. Quite lovely, actually.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.jpg

Not Giacchino best effort but I still like it (probably because of the movie in itself though)

There's one thing I really like about Giacchino is the title he gives to his tracks most of them are really fun

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I looked for that CD for five years before finding one reasonably priced!

I'm personnaly waiting for the library of my town to sell it. I'm one of the few to borrow it so it's just a matter of time...

God's Little Acre - Elmer Bernstein (Kritzerland)

The final of Bernstein's three scores for Anthony Mann films in 1957-58, this is an enjoyable album of Americana from the golden period of Bernstein's career (roughly '55-'65).  The score is a mix of gospel, blues, jazz, Bernstein's usual dark drama sound, and a sprinkling of Coplandesque moments.  The "Peachtree Valley Waltz" puts me in mind of Herrmann though.

The Kritzerland album is odd in that it is the OST and then 10 minutes of unreleased cues as one long track instead of separating them out.  Weird choice.

EDIT: Oh nice, someone laid out how to edit the score C&C https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/search?q=god's+little+acre

21 hours ago, Thor said:

face-of-a-fugitive.jpg

This type of score is not really my cuppa tea, sorry. Also, except for the bonus source cues, I can't hear any Williams-performed piano in it. Must be buried deep down.

I've not heard this score, but if it sounds anything like LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, then I'll probably like this, as well.

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

THE DARK KNIGHT collector edition

Just the one?

58 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not heard this score, but if it sounds anything like LONELY ARE THE BRAVE, then I'll probably like this, as well.

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is a much more interesting and enjoyable soundtrack, IMO.

R-8796189-1526221396-4634.jpeg.jpg

For me, this 2016 score is the only score of Rob's that comes close to his masterpiece MANIAC from 2012. Spacey, minormoded, cool beats and very "French".

ab67616d0000b273db63288d38caadb8efddd51d

Since I was in the Rob groove. Gotta love those ironic hip hop tunes, but the score is only decent. Some great synth riffs, but also more 'standard' dramatic scoring, some added guitars and strings, for example. Less funky.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Let's hope nobody scratches it up while you're waiting...

Quite unlikely, the CD is either in my house or in the library but sure I keep my fingers crossed

R-11638608-1589809928-8685.jpeg.jpg

R-9757962-1522538322-9080.jpeg.jpg

Bits and pieces from these two. I've had them for decades, but hadn't played them in years. The music is great, of course. The performances are great. And the sound is mostly great, too - except for one big issue: Both discs are massively overamplified in loud, bass-heavy moments. Is that a problem of these particular releases, or is it native to the recordings?

13 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Why not copy it?

I've already done it. It's just to have the physical edition.

Disobedience (FYC Album).jpg

Not really fan of that one. It's just sounded noisy.

Diamond Head (Film Score Monthly).jpg

A great score from the maestro debuts. Love it!!!

The Dissident (FYC Album).jpg

A really good surprise from a composer I've never heard before. Lots of great materials which gives a really good atmosphere. One negative point though, the length of more than 2h30 make the album drags a bit in the last third.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

God's Little Acre - Elmer Bernstein (Kritzerland)

The final of Bernstein's three scores for Anthony Mann films in 1957-58, this is an enjoyable album of Americana from the golden period of Bernstein's career (roughly '55-'65).  The score is a mix of gospel, blues, jazz, Bernstein's usual dark drama sound, and a sprinkling of Coplandesque moments.  The "Peachtree Valley Waltz" puts me in mind of Herrmann though.

The Kritzerland album is odd in that it is the OST and then 10 minutes of unreleased cues as one long track instead of separating them out.  Weird choice.

EDIT: Oh nice, someone laid out how to edit the score C&C https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/search?q=god's+little+acre

I made the C&C edit last night and listened this morning and personally I think it's a big improvement on the OST assembly.  A fine score!

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The phase four process is not known to give neutral sound.

I'm not complaining that they don't sound neutral, although I think they generally sound very natural and clear, with a nice boost in particularly bassy moments. But many of those boosts are way beyond the clipping point. I've always been under the impression that these recordings are highly regarded for their sound quality, but the overamplified bits are very much at odds with that.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not complaining that they don't sound neutral, although I think they generally sound very natural and clear, with a nice boost in particularly bassy moments. But many of those boosts are way beyond the clipping point. I've always been under the impression that these recordings are highly regarded for their sound quality, but the overamplified bits are very much at odds with that.

Then you might be more pleased with the most recent releases, on Australian Eloquence.

That's just what I'm asking: Is it a problem of the recording, or just of the mastering of my versions, and would the other/newer releases sound better (or would I just be annoyed if I buy them and the problem persists).

The Last Crusade

As much as I love Raiders, but this might be my favorite Indy score. I'm really fond of Henry Jones Sr.'s theme and the Grail theme, there's a lot of amazing action music (Belly of the Steel Beast is a showstopper) and the finale is really emotional and uplifting... What's there not to love?

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

As much as I love Raiders, but this might be my favorite Indy score.

Not only is it my favourite INDY score, it belongs in my top 10 of Williams in general.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

What's there not to love?

The actual best expansion miss so much music? But otherwise absolutely!

Django Unchained.jpg

Simply the best album from a Tarantino's movie. I could listen to that one all day long!

8 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The actual best expansion miss so much music? But otherwise absolutely!

I used a bootleg that appeared a few years ago on the place that worshipped the Japanese RPG and claims to be "complete" (I'm not an Indy music expert, so I don't know if this is accurate).

But the Concord set seems to be missing just some inserts in cues and about 12 missing cues, some of them being source music. A few of them definetly should've been included (12m2 The Penitent Man Will Pass is great), but otherwise what we have so far is enough for a satisfying experience.

Despite that, it would be great if this and the other Indies receive a Matessino definitive edition.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Rahman works both mornings and nights. This 2004 score is a nice display of his sophisticated arrangements skills.

Well, he does have a pretty big team helping him with that kind of stuff.

JFK (OST, minus the songs which were greyed out on Spotify) - I liked most of the pieces and really like the main theme, but I don't feel I've gotten any overview or adequate sampler of the score as a whole from this little amount of music.
Seven Years in Tibet (OST) - tried it once before, wasn't a fan. Tried it again and holy hell I love it! I was in the right mood and something clicked in my head and I was really taken away. It really feels like a transitionary score for JW, I noticed lots of touches reminiscent of E.T., EotS, Jurassic Park whathaveyou, but also a foreshadowing of his 2000s darker sound. This is a really well assembled program, I even bought it on disc.
Rosewood (OST) - When the LLL was selling out, I really tried to make myself like Disc 1 but just couldn't grow to love it. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place, because I really enjoyed the OST! Good selection and the gospel pieces really hold it together even more. Bought it digitally.
The Patriot (OST) - Not a fan at all. Doesn't sound good, and JW once again blows it all apart into a huge mess. I'd love a completely rebuilt C&C, especially with all the source music.
Catch Me If You Can (OST) - Not mixed very well, feels thin. The songs are not integrated well at all, even if I do like some of them. The program is not great. And at the risk of being a bit hyperbolically more negative than I really am to support a point - a lot of it felt like tablescraps and early attempts on the road to the true masterpiece that is Escapades (S/W III version). Not sure an expansion could change my mind.
The Terminal (OST) - Well, I like all of the pieces on here and to my surprise it's a mostly good enough program. But I think it'd work even better complete, when the unique triumphant/finale pieces are built up to and earned, not just put in the first half. Also the ending was a bit weak.
Skyrim - Always nice to return to these nostalgic soundscapes.
The Book Thief (OST) - Hmm. I don't want to seem more negative than I am again, but this just went by without much I noticed. Some of it felt more like Desplat than JW.
The BFG (OST) - Yes, JW really had a field day with this. I think I'd love it if the finale wasn't blown apart again so we're building to very little and the solo piano finale ends up feeling unearned. Hmph. Also give me all that Buckingham Palace quasi-source music!
The Post (OST) - Still very good.

Summon the Heroes - Loved it, has a really nice festive sporty atmosphere all the way through. I even like these orchestral Vangelises.
Call of the Champions - More scatterbrain and "here's random stuff I composed lately", but still pretty good.
Hollywood Sound - Well, I like the first half. The second never seemed to end. It's not all perfect performances and sound either.
Music for Stage&Screen - Beside some of the Red Pony pieces, I just couldn't connect with this one.
Cinema Serenade 1&2 - Again, these mostly went by without anything standing out or sticking. I don't know if it's the piece selection, the arrangements or the playing - I only really know Far&Away (and Marian&Robin I guess), and there I know it has to be one of the latter two that makes the piece meander.
Five Sacred Trees - Now this one I just love beginning to end.
Mutter - This one, too!

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Has one great bit, “Scherzo for Motorcycle”, but other than that was a disappointingly uninteresting listen. Couldn’t hear any thematic material, which is strangely unlike Temple of Doom where I can recall Short Round’s theme off the top of my head. 

I put on Powell’s HTTYD3 shortly afterward to wash away the boredom and it really brought attention to what a much better storyteller Powell is. I rarely hear Williams telling a story through music, I usually just hear him pulling out his usual bag of tricks, complete with his action music that could be applied anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Has one great bit, “Scherzo for Motorcycle”, but other than that was a disappointingly uninteresting listen. Couldn’t hear any thematic material, which is strangely unlike Temple of Doom where I can recall Short Round’s theme off the top of my head. 

Hear or recall? Because their is a couple of themes.

I didn’t hear any other than, of course, the Raiders march here and there. I’m sure there’s more than that, but nothing that stood out as interesting or has stuck to memory other than Scherzo. And this is my third time listening to Crusades!

15 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I put on Powell’s HTTYD3 shortly afterward to wash away the boredom and it really brought attention to what a much better storyteller Powell is. I rarely hear Williams telling a story through music, I usually just hear him pulling out his usual bag of tricks, complete with his action music that could be applied anywhere. 

WolfySnackRib is that you?

3 hours ago, Holko said:

JFK (OST, minus the songs which were greyed out on Spotify) - I liked most of the pieces and really like the main theme, but I don't feel I've gotten any overview or adequate sampler of the score as a whole from this little amount of music.

The Patriot (OST) - Not a fan at all. Doesn't sound good, and JW once again blows it all apart into a huge mess. I'd love a completely rebuilt C&C, especially with all the source music.

There's not much more of the JFK score, so you heard pretty much all there is worth hearing!

The Patriot OST is fine. Not sure what you want. What was wrong with the sound?

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I don't agree with a word that you said about Last Crusade and Williams... But you're right about HTTYD3. Masterful score by Powell, maybe my favorite from him.

5 hours ago, The Big Man said:

What was wrong with the sound?

Hmph, they took it off Spotify since then. Now I have  to rejudge it based on lossy youtube uploads. A lot of it was really weird and muddy.

I don't remember any weird muddy bits. All sounded pretty punchy and dynamic to me. Maybe I'm listening out for different things to others here. For example I reckon the sound quality on Elfman's Spider-Man is awful in most tracks. A couple are really good, but most of the album is really loud and even clips with very audible distortion in a few places.