What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Second half of the Colonial Cause is a good example. Ann Recruits, too, instruments just blend together.

R-9283296-1526681988-9504.jpeg.jpg

I love it when Morricone plays around with classical tropes. Partcularly love the rapid trumpet run here, in "La Ferrara Delle Burle". Score from 2005.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Listening to Jaws, McNeely version. This sounds so great! Why did he never re-record the OST presentation?

A re-recording of a re-recording? Rerecording-ception ;)

(Possibly because of all of Williams own re-recordings/reworkings of the concert arrangements from that presentation?)

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Listening to Jaws, McNeely version. This sounds so great! Why did he never re-record the OST presentation?

I think probably multiple reasons, the key one being the cost and that the album would then extend to a double CD if they'd done both. Also, the original OST recording was in decent stereo sound and, when Varese planned their album, the original tracks weren't available at all. However, Decca released the original tracks came out just before Varese released their version, which is disappointing for Varese although I'm sure it sold pretty well anyway. I really enjoy the Varese album and it's a decent recording and a nice alternate (even though the cover art is uncharacteristically terrible - wrong kind of shark and everything!).

18 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think probably multiple reasons, the key one being the cost and that the album would then extend to a double CD if they'd done both. Also, the original OST recording was in decent stereo sound and, when Varese planned their album, the original tracks weren't available at all. However, Decca released the original tracks came out just before Varese released their version, which is disappointing for Varese although I'm sure it sold pretty well anyway. I really enjoy the Varese album and it's a decent recording and a nice alternate (even though the cover art is uncharacteristically terrible - wrong kind of shark and everything!).

The Varese does have some stuff that was unrecorded in the original and OST sessions.

21 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Has one great bit, “Scherzo for Motorcycle”, but other than that was a disappointingly uninteresting listen. Couldn’t hear any thematic material, which is strangely unlike Temple of Doom where I can recall Short Round’s theme off the top of my head. 

You must have skipped Escape from Venice and all the tracks with the grail and Henry Jones themes. And the Nazi theme, too. And of course Belly of the Steel Beast.

3 hours ago, Falco said:

The Varese does have some stuff that was unrecorded in the original and OST sessions.

Funnily enough I listened to it recently and thought there was at least one track that I didn't recognise but thought it was just failing memory. I'll have to look them up! Thanks for the reminder.

Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa

I actually got my hands on a mint copy of the original 1995 Excalibur re-recording for $16. And it doesn't disappoint -- still sounds vibrant, punchy and expertly performed by the Sinfonia of London.

ab67616d0000b2730d5b3fd736f74be2367cf9c5

The film is not all it's made out to be (it's okay), but the score is very lovely. Like Brittell does in SUCCESSION, Weston plays around with baroque-ish elements, giving it a Burt Bacharach feel at times.

ab67616d0000b273ceced56d1b8cc063a3d84f20

There is some good music in this show, but the album is much too long at 91 minutes. And then you have volume 2 and 3, as well, amounting to a staggering 5 hours or so in total. Insane. At some point, I'm going to boil all of this down to one great 60-minute playlist. I might be willing to stretch it to a "2CD" set of some 90 minutes covering all three albums. We'll see.

5 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (35th Anniversary Edition).jpg

I think that if I should choose one perfect (or most perfect movie) and a score it would be that one. Simply brilliant from beginning to end and even after a hundred listenings...

I once thought during the movie, it is almost like watching a ballet how the music works here together with the action on screen. This is really perfect, also as a musical experience.

I said it before. At that time I actually went to the cinema to listen to music, not just to watch a movie.

Earthquake (Expanded Edition).jpg

I truly think that this is a score that you can't really appreciate fully in his OST presentation (at least IMO). The restoration of MM is absolutely brillant and give us the best conditions to fully enjoy this great score from the Maestro.

After two weeks of a kind of hurricane with a release in Québec of a superb documentary in which I was involved for the researches (Mon oncle Patof, Sandrine Béchade, 2021)... it's about a very popular children TV character in 70's Québec...

I'm back to film music!

Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition
James Newton Howard - Dinosaur
Bernard Herrmann - Taxi Driver (the Score)

2 hours ago, publicist said:

16 minutes of baroque Morricone.

Thanks for the great suggestion. Really love it!

Edward Scissorhands.jpg

I find it's one of the best Elfman score and one of the most representative of his collaboration with Burton. Really enjoyed it from the beginning to the end (although I don't really understand why there is a Tom Jones song at the end which, I find, breaks a bit the continuity of the score)

Thomas Newman - 1917
John Williams - The Rise of Skywalker OST
Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct OST
James Newton Howard - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Eat Them OST
Danny Elfman - Edward Scissorhands OST

The Adventures of Huck Finn - Bill Conti

Continuing my journey through early-to-mid-90s family adventure and comedy scores.  This one's way in my wheelhouse and a real enjoyable listen.  It's too bad it only has the Varese half hour OST.  Intrada should really prioritize expanding this underknown Disney score.

3 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Empire of the Sun (Expanded Archival Collection).jpg

It's been so long that I haven't heard to that one, what a shame... this score is brillant and full of extraordinary theme with on the top Cadillac of the Skies, Exsultate Justi and the breath taking performance of Suo Gan...

Not sure that it's underrated on the JWFan but it definitely not has the success it deserves like A.I. (with which it has a lot in common)

It resides, currently, at #6, in my all-time top 10 JW scores.

The Thief of Bag(h)dad (Rozsa) - The Tadlow re-recording really is superb, well performed and recorded. Maybe it's just me but it's list strongly Rozsa-esque to my ears than many of his scores. Not sure if it's the exotic elements or the style of the film, but it feels lighter and less spiky/dense than "typical" Rozsa. My only slight quibble being the songs which are kinda naff (and I do generally like musicals...). Fortunately Tadlow do present them separately without vocals, although those that are combined with underscore in the main programme are not presented combined with the relevant underscore track so there are a few where it's not possible to have a singing-free rendition. Minor quibbling for sure. Nice to have the full score too, against both the Varese release coupled with the Jungle Book and the Bernstein re-recording, which I also enjoy. The selection on one of the Chandos Rozsa albums is great too.

Conan the Destroyer (Basil Poledouris) - Again the Tadlow re-recording, superbly performed and recorded. I seem to recall there was some copyright reason why the main themes from the first film aren't reprised (same with Robocop/3 if I remember rightly- Basil had some weird luck on projects where he scored sequels) with some parts being clear "homages" to the original, although Dagoth Ceremony uses the Theology/Civilisation theme largely unchanged. Ah well, still a great follow up.

Conan the Barbarian (Basil again) - the full score on Intrada. Despite their best efforts, the sound and performance are pretty shaky at times. I didn't have as much of an issue with the sound quality of the Prometheus re-recording as some, even if it's not quite as good as the Destroyer re-recording on Tadlow.

1 hour ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I love a parade - Amazon.com Music

Great compilations of parade and march. Really liked it

Leroy Anderson's arrangement of "Seventy Six Trombones" is an all-time great pops arrangement.  Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.  It's actually a track that I downloaded in the early days of Napster, in 2000, and only much later discovered that it was the recording from this album (since naturally it wasn't tagged accurately).

Howard Shore - Fellowship of the Cock Ring OST
John Williams - Superman OST
Alan Silvestri - Avengers: End Game OST
Dario Marianelli - Atonement OST
Jerry Goldsmith - Rudy OST

2 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Executive Decision (The Deluxe Edition).jpg

A really nice score from Goldsmith in the same vein as Chain Reaction although I still prefer the later

Can't believe I didn't pick this one, although think it might now be out of print. Here's hoping that Varese add it to their increasing number of deluxe editions that are available for digital download. Not that it's a patch on Air Force One to be fair...

32 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Can't believe I didn't pick this one, although think it might now be out of print. Here's hoping that Varese add it to their increasing number of deluxe editions that are available for digital download. Not that it's a patch on Air Force One to be fair...

Well giving all the recent addition I presumed that it's just a matter of time, I mean apart from Along Came a Spider and The Serpent and the Rainbow all their most recent released are available digital up to The Dreamcatcher (DE) the next should be RoboCop2 and soon Dracula

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Leroy Anderson's arrangement of "Seventy Six Trombones" is an all-time great pops arrangement.  Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.  It's actually a track that I downloaded in the early days of Napster, in 2000, and only much later discovered that it was the recording from this album (since naturally it wasn't tagged accurately).

Didn't everything on Napster have John Williams tagged as the composer?