What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Michael Giacchino - War For The Planet of the Apes (OST album)

Holy schnikies!  I was never much into this score (loved the movie though), and don't think I had listened to it more than a couple times when it came out and then practically forgot about it.  I've owned the CD since it was released, but never took the shrinkwrap off and opened it until this listen - and I loved it!  Holy hell, it's really good.  I love the way the 11 minute (!) opening track sets the tone for the whole ordeal, and the sad theme for Nova is really great every time - plus the kooky percussion for the action and intrigue is just always fun to listen to.

The only thing I really didn't get was the vocal song at the end of the end credits - no idea what that's about, and googling didn't seem to come up with anything!

1 hour ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

The 1988 CD sounded fine.

No. It didn't.

The recording studio wasn't PERFECT.

The orchestra wasn't perfect.

The mixing and mastering wasn't PERFECT.

To sum up; it's crap😜

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Moroder is back?

Cool!😊

Well, it's from 2016, so already a few years old. But I'm kinda proud that Moroder first revealed his involvement in the series in my own interview with him in 2015. I very rarely get "breaking news" like that.

15 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

The Prize by Jerry Goldsmith

In Like Flint by Jerry Goldsmith

Two really good scores. Especially fancy the second one, I really like those 60's comedies scores

Sort of related, I’d recommend the contemporaneous spy comedy score by Elmer Bernstein, The Silencers.  

The movie opening credits are highly, ahem, educational...

I think I've finally put what I don't like in Superman's score. There is very dark and menacing music in it, perhaps the most menacing music JW ever wrote. I really feel anxiety when listening to these passages.

John Barry - Somewhere in Time (Debney Re-recording)
James Horner - Legends of the Fall (Expanded Score)
James Newton Howard - Diamond Blood OST

51 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think I've finally put what I don't like in Superman's score. There is very dark and menacing music in it, perhaps the most menacing music JW ever wrote. I really feel anxiety when listening to these passages!

I've never heard of SUPERMAN described as "menacing". Usually, it's "soaring", or "uplifting".

What's menacing about it, Bes?

James Newton Howard - News of the World

I finally checked out this OST album, since I finally saw the movie.  I thought I remembered hearing some score in the movie I wanted to hear outside of it, but this initial listen to the album left no impression on me.  Well, the end credits cue was nice.  Admittedly, I was using most of my brain for something else during this listen so it deserves a second chance at some point, but for the most part I didn't find this very compelling

Bernard Herrmann - The Fantasy Film World Of Bernard Herrmann (1974)

Nino Rota - The Fellini Album (Chailly, 2019)

Georges Delerue - Great Composers (Varèse Sarabande)

The Molly Maguires [Bay Cities OST] (1970) Henry Mancini

Gave this a go after I saw the film for my labor studies class, and one of the tunes stood out to me.

Really admire how incredibly tuneful it is. I'll be amazed if anyone listens to it, and doesn't come out humming at least one theme. I think I prefer the one for the titular group than what I believe is supposed to be the actual main theme, but they all are pretty solid. There's not too much in the way of variation, development, or a narrative in this current configuration (especially since I know a couple of the missing pieces are just further straight repeats of the themes), but it's short and presented well enough to where it isn't an issue. I'm definitely curious in eventually listening to the Kritzerland edition, as while the sound and mixing was generally fine, two tracks had a bit of audible damage in the transfer from the album master.

I also heard the rejected Charles Strouse score, from which the most I can say is that it's incredibly eclectic. It focuses much more playing around with itself than establishing a particularly coherent sound, which starts off fun before I lose track of everything. I will say that it's interesting how the closest thing to a dominant motif here is kind of reminiscent of the main theme in the final score. Like Strouse only partially hit what the filmmakers wanted.

(Also gave WW84 another listen and admired it even more, but I've written enough about that here for now)

R-3444409-1599071769-4834.jpeg.jpg

Classy, haunting score by Cornish. Never seen the 2008 film. This was a LEGEND-type situation where it had one score in Europe (by Javier Navarrete) and one in the US (this one) for the 2011 release there. I should check out the Navarrete some day.

CALL OF THE WILD

This score has really grown on me.

I particularly like the quiter, folksy cue, I.e. the ones that don't sound like HTTYD.

Most are in the latter part of the score.

I'll be getting the Intrada!

3 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

He never responds to our reporting. We don't matter.

He responds only when others report US!

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Sort of related, I’d recommend the contemporaneous spy comedy score by Elmer Bernstein, The Silencers.  

The movie opening credits are highly, ahem, educational...

Is that the bit with the round bed that drops Lovey Kravesit in the giant bath tub?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is it better than Along Came a Spider?

You jest, of course (as usual), but I think I've heard that all but once when it came out. Made no impression whatsoever, and I have no desire to revisit it any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

You jest, of course (as usual), but I think I've heard that all but once when it came out. Made no impression whatsoever, and I have no desire to revisit it any time soon.

It's not that bad!

Thomas Newman - American Beauty OST
John Barry - Dances with Wolves OST
Ennio Morricone - The Mission OST
Max Steiner - Gone with the wind (Gerhardt)

Today was Jerry day: Inchon (which I liked more than I thought I would) and The 13th Warrior  (amazing). For some reason, the best track on the OST, "Valhalla/Viking Victory", is unavailable on my Spotify, which means I had to listen to it on YouTube :( .

Perfectly good late 50's JG western/thriller, with lots of identifiable fingerprints that would reappear later, but it's still more Waxman or Previn than Goldsmith (which ain't necessarily a bad thing). The best thing about are the sweet/spare americana moments that refrain from the busy textures of the suspense and action moments. The action cues, Trackdown in particular, already have the typical Goldsmith *pulse* which doesn't let up, that other composers just didn't approach or got right.

Repertoire Cinema Scores

• John Williams - Saving Private Ryan OST
  • Howard Shore - The Aviator OST
  • Danny Elfman - Big Fish (The Score)
  • John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Expanded Score)