What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Just now, Bespin said:

Repertoire Cinema Scores

• John Williams - Saving Private Ryan OST
  • James Newton Howard - The Aviator OST
  • James Horner - Big Fish OST
  • John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Expanded Score)

Oh, that's interesting. For whatever reason I used to think, that the score for The Aviator was written by Howard Shore. 

Listened to Goldsmith's 100 Rifles this morning :love2:

My favorite recurring theme is what I guess might be Verduga's theme?  It's so cool and badass.  It gets its best and most extended treatment in this cue (titled "Verdugo's Revenge" on the LLL release, "Journey to the Fort" on the FSM).

This is such a freaking awesome cue!  I love it I love I love it.  The theme I'm talking about starts 20 second in.  I especially love when the motif passes from the (prepared?) piano to the low brass around 0:50.

Christopher Lennertz - Quantum of Solace (Promo album)

I cannot recall how I got this promo CD (which I think is probably a CDR? Not sure how to tell), but my case had a post-it note from "Deputy Riley" from FSM - I wish I could remember how or why he sent it to me! Anyways...

The score is fun!  The opening track is a totally retro, swinging 60's style version of the classic James Bond Theme, and there's one track with vocals for some opera sequence.  The rest is cool Lennertz-ian action, suspense, and mood music, comfortably fitting somewhere in between the sound of Arnold's Bond scores and the old Goldeneye video game score.  Lot of fuzzy electric guitars, bongo drums, and groovy rhythms.  It doesn't have that ultimately satisfying feel of a good Arnold Bond score that tells a whole story with a beginning middle and end, this is sort of just a collection of different ideas with no real narrative - but it's good!

Howard Shore - The Aviator (OST album)

A friend of mine gave this CD to me for free many years ago, but I don't think I had ever actually heard this album until today!

It's..... ehhhhh.  The spanish influence throughout was fun, the classical pastiche stuff was kinda boring.  Track 9 "America's Aviation Hero" has a part that sounds just like the opening of "The Woodland Realm" from DOS which is kinda funny. In track 13  the music is obscured being the placement of audio commentary from the flight of the Spruce Goose - I hate it when OST albums do this!  

I doubt I'll listen to this again for another 15 years lol

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Track 13 , the music is obscured being the placement of audio commentary from the flight of the Spruce Goose - I hate it when OST albums do this! 

Does the FYC also have this?

Austin Wintory's The Banner Saga (1-3)

Really a single great work in 3 parts. I love everything about it, the more melodic parts, the more evocative soundscapes, the richer orchestra, the stripped back solos, the tundra atmosphere, the nordic influences, the vocals, the gorgeously gnarly or sometimes almost groovy, perfect and sometimes surprising instrumentations, the usage of the themes, the way it evokes and brings back so many images of the games - the determined but strained trudging through the grand landscapes, the combat against unknown elemental foes, the cataclysmic earth-shattering events, the desperately tense dash away from harm, the mourning of fallen comrades. Impressively coherent across the years of writing and recording, forming a grand arc. Glad to have helped finance part 3.

Bear McCreary - Unrest (promo CD)

Nice quiet little guitar driven score.  Only track I didn't enjoy was a song McCreary had nothing to do with stuffed into the middle of things.  The rest was really nice rainy day music

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Hable con Ella (Alberto Iglesias) - Bloody hell, this is amazingly good. Quite a range of styles, from very intimate to full, but tense, orchestral writing. I need to listen to Iglesias' stuff way more often.

I also listened to it on Friday. It is the only score of Alberto Iglesias that I own.

After recently enjoying Williams The River I get more and more accustumed to accoustic guitar sound in soundtracks. I didn't like it that much in the past. But especially that flamenco stuff in Iglesias' score is great.

I capitulate, Howard Shore's CD are too hard to get, I'll wait expanded releases.

Fuck the "Collector's Edition" series: hard to find on CD, incomplete in FLACs. That's a nightmare... and I'm Canadian, it should be easy to get Howard Shore's physical CDs, HE'S CANADIAN TOO, NO?

:banghead:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

A friend of mine gave this CD to me for free many years ago, but I don't think I had ever actually heard this album until today!

It's..... ehhhhh.  The spanish influence throughout was fun, the classical pastiche stuff was kinda boring.  Track 9 "America's Aviation Hero" has a part that sounds just like the opening of "The Woodland Realm" from DOS which is kinda funny. In track 13  the music is obscured being the placement of audio commentary from the flight of the Spruce Goose - I hate it when OST albums do this!  

I doubt I'll listen to this again for another 15 years lol

Do you at least know the story of the movie?

When John Wiliams write a fugue in a movie like Jaws, it's hot counterpoint, but when Shore do it in a serious movie about Howard Hugues, it's classical pastiche?

Ah bon!

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I also listened to it on Friday. It is the only score of Alberto Iglesias that I own.

After recently enjoying Williams The River I get more and more accustumed to accoustic guitar sound in soundtracks. I didn't like it that much in the past. But especially that flamenco stuff in Iglesias' score is great.

I'd check out Spain in a Day and Exodus: Gods and Kings is pretty great. I was going to say The Kite Runner but according to iTunes I've listened to it once! I'm thinking I either need to get (or find out I've missed!) the Iglesias boxed set that was released a few months ago...

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I'd check out Spain in a Day and Exodus: Gods and Kings is pretty great. I was going to say The Kite Runner but according to iTunes I've listened to it once! I'm thinking I either need to get (or find out I've missed!) the Iglesias boxed set that was released a few months ago...

Didn't miss it, ordered it! 12 CD set for EUR40?! Bargain (I have a couple of them but few enough that it's still a bargain).

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

When John Wiliams write a fugue in a movie like Jaws, it's hot counterpoint, but when Shore do it in a serious movie about Howard Hugues, it's classical pastiche?

It's a good score, better than any of the Hobbitses.

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Do you at least know the story of the movie?

I saw the movie in theaters in 2004.  Did you?

I did. Too bad one of the best cues was replaced by classical music.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

the classical pastiche stuff was kinda boring. 

Which cues in particular are you thinking of? I agree that not all tracks on the OST are very interesting, but I particularly like the rhythmic main theme.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I saw the movie in theaters in 2004.  Did you?

OF COURSE, I WATCHED EVERY SINGLE MOVIE OF LEONARDO! 

That's the dumbest question to ask to a gay man! 

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which cues in particular are you thinking of?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I listened to the CD ac couple hours ago now and didn't look up at the track number on the display every time I heard one or anything

1 hour ago, Jay said:

In track 13  the music is obscured being the placement of audio commentary from the flight of the Spruce Goose - I hate it when OST albums do this!  

At least this track is verbatim Tchaikovsky.

@GerateWohl 

Get you lugholes around Inglesias' scores for CHÉ, and TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY.

@Jay,

This QOS promo: is it a rejected score?

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

OF COURSE, I WATCHED EVERY SINGLE MOVIE OF LEONARDO! 

That's the dumbest question to ask to a gay man! 

:o Wha'?!!! Are you gay???!!!

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I've never been a big fan of the Aviator score. It supposedly has a fugue, but the whole thing sounds pretty homophonic, even almost monophonic to me.

550x549.jpg

Very straightforward dino music. A bit too straightforward and obvious maybe? 

550x550.jpg

I forgot I had this one. The main theme sounds alarmingly harsh (the sound of the trumpets ... ouch!) but luckily things get better after that. 

31 minutes ago, Falco said:

That thing is like 20 years old at this point.

Hence why I forgot about it. ;)

(To be honest, it was stored away from my other JW CDs. With the booklet and sleeve and all, it's too thick to fit into the slots of the CD rack)

Spider-Man 3 -- Christopher Young

Still bummed that this doesn't have a proper release. He deconstructs and plays around with Elfman's thematic material more -- but still in that musical family. It's amazing how many themes Young composed for the film (that got cut out) -- and it's all wonderful. The lack of electronic percussion doesn't hurt the score.

I actually prefer his arrangement of Elfman's opening titles theme over Elfman's original two.

Alot of folks love this score.

I didn't notice it in the film - which was pretty bad- so can't comment.

Anyway, I think there is a decent chance this will get an official release in the near future😁

8 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Requiem Epilogue by Brian Tyler on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

Not as good as the other Alien scores but it has its moments

I have to admit that those AvP movies are among the few movies of which I would love a reboot, there is so much potential

That album needs a do-over. There are some very strong Silvestri/Horner-pastiche moments and setpieces in AVPR, but the album is so front-loaded that it exhausts itself within its first 15 minutes and after that it just meanders into atmospherics and dissonance and abruptly ends. Phenomenally incompetent album production. Oh, and it's brickwalled to shit. What a waste.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

That album needs a do-over. There are some very strong Silvestri/Horner-pastiche moments and setpieces in AVPR, but the album is so front-loaded that it exhausts itself within its first 15 minutes

Pop album programming 101: put your best material first.