What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Nathan Wang should collaborate with Thomas Wanker someday. :lol:

Rule #34 has destroyed Thomas the Tank Engine for that reason. 

Speaking of Thomas Wanker (now Wander), currently playing this:

ab67616d0000b273b5f7d41d7a299daf963dd76f

One of my runner-ups in 2019. Love both the solemn Americana stuff and the action material (for once). I prefer this over Williams' MIDWAY.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not at all. Never been a fan of the JW score, although the two “marches” are fine.

Why did you put "marches" in quotes?

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why did you put "marches" in quotes?

Because only one is a march, the other's a hymn or some bastard of it.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Because only one is a mach, the other's a hymn or some bastard of it.

That's it. I've always considered the Yorktown march more of a hymn (and yes, I'm aware it might technically qualify as a march, and that not all marches need to be upbeat etc. -- we've been down that road before). Vice versa, I consider his "Hymn for New England" more of a march.

Iron Will (Joel McNeely) - alright, the best bits are JMcN channelling JW (mostly Indy scores - although the riff on the Desert Chase from Raiders sticks out compared to the more light hearted stuff), but there's actually plenty of pretty decent original material here and it's such a fun score it's hard not to enjoy it. Given that it's a pretty under the radar Disney live action adventure, it gets a better score than a lot of A list Disney films these days.

Glory & Hono(u)r (Bruce Broughton) - Fine Broughton adventure score, with a memorable main theme. Again, a film that I doubt many people saw, but the music is great.

Fort Saganne (Philipe Sarde) - One of my favourite Sarde scores, featuring one of his most lovely main themes.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's it. I've always considered the Yorktown march more of a hymn (and yes, I'm aware it might technically qualify as a march, and that not all marches need to be upbeat etc. -- we've been down that road before). 

It's more british and regal in tone (shades of Walton), and the conclusion indeed anticipates the throne room music in Star Wars (doesn't get more ceremonial than that). 

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Iron Will (Joel McNeely) - alright, the best bits are JMcN channelling JW

..and Silverado.

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Listening to Mancini's Lifeforce for the first time in many years. Sweet jesus, definitely magnum opus material. Crazy that a film like it got a score such as this!

It's a fantastic score, or at least much of it is. There are moody atmospheric passages that may be responsible for me being very excited whenever I hear it and yet afterwards forgetting about it for years.

And I think Hollow Man must have been tracked with Carlson's Story.

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I believe the photo on the LIFEFORCE clip violates  board rules against NSFW imagery ( female noodity)😗

If it really bothers you, you can use the report function.

Black Sunday (Film Score Monthly).jpg

The more I listen to that one the more I love it. The action cues are absolutely terrific.

I am quite surprised how well this edition has aged, it's not perfect of course but most of the tracks still have a very good render, it was some great work from MM and Lukas Kendall

There's only one release of this score, it was previously unreleased when it came on CD.

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

The digital release of Black Sunday on iTunes is the deluxe version, right?

Black Sunday never had an OST album when the film came out.

The program released by Film Score Monthly Records on CD in 2010 was the first time anyone had a legal license to sell music from that score.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/443/Black-Sunday/

The current digital version sold on iTunes and other digital stores/streamers is the same master as that 2010 FSM CD (they just gave it a better cover).

https://music.apple.com/us/album/black-sunday-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1106190184

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMVZDLI/

https://us.7digital.com/artist/john-williams/release/black-sunday-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-5318751

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdwAdUA2ySc&list=OLAK5uy_nNZ0gHAYkRScriQViV1QlJgNV1ggXav2c

https://open.spotify.com/album/0ZITTfSf2a9QgLzodW82c1?si=-9anAHLvQKW1e1cUz-RguQ

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If it really bothers you, you can use the report function.

I don't think he cares that much if he was able to let a similar example slide a few pages ago ;)

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I don't think he cares that much if he was able to let a similar example slide a few pages ago ;)

Link please😝

Yeah,  Just joshing. Who would complain about Matilda May's torso?

But , I did have a point to make, I.e I got a one day ban for posting a semi-nude photo( that wasn't part of a soundtrack.)

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Everything's streaming these days

Just downloaded on HOOPLA.

Wish they would acquire BABEde

Screenshot_2021-05-03-16-03-47.png

John Williams - The Cowboys (Varese Deluxe)

I wanted to listen to How To Steal A Million when I got to work today after hearing Mike discuss it on the Indycast podcast special, but when I got to work I found the oldest score I actually had on my hard drive there was The Cowboys, so I went with that :lol:

This is such a rarely-discussed gem of John Williams' early career.  The theme bed is so rich!  And they are all very good!

I think I put my finger on why the new main program might feel too long for some - including me at times!  It's the extended roadshow presentation aspect, having the overture, the act 1 break ending of Lonhair's threat, the Entre'act, and the Exit Music - it's too much.  Especially opening with the Overture and Main Title back to back, it's sets up expectations for grand, up tempo adventure music to be the core of things, but then the score really slows down for a while before building up again.  A shorter playlist with no overture, entr'acte, or exit music (and the alternate Longhair's Threat instead of the 70mm version) will be how I listen next time

Overall though, a good score!

Its called leftovers, you don't have to eat the whole meal at once, save it for later! ;)

Oh and:

Screenshot_20210503-220950_Pulsar.jpg

The Bad and the Beautiful - David Raksin

The Bad and the Beautyful.jpg

Own that CD now for 15 years or so, but never really listened to it until now. Bought it from a grap table with several others for a Euro the piece. But of all the CDs this one has actually the best sound quality. Probably because it is the only one from the 50s and not 40s. It is a beautiful jazzy score with some nice songs. It actually won an academy award that year (1952). Strong recommendation for those who like golden age scores and especially in 50s smooth jazz style with romantic strings and woodwind solos.

BATMAN BEGINS

when I first heard this score i felt it to be so abstract and minimalist as to be unlistenable on CD.

Since then, I've grown more accustomed and acquainted to this style of scoring and now I quite enjoy it!

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Just downloaded on HOOPLA.

Wish they would acquire BABEde

Here you've got all the Varese DE available on Spotify including Babe DE if you're still interest

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

The Bad and the Beautiful - David Raksin

R-2903660-1306515139.jpeg.jpg

Own that CD now for 15 years or so, but never really listened to it until now. Bought it from a grap table with several others for a Euro the piece. But of all the CDs this one has actually the best sound quality. Probably because it is the only one from the 50s and not 40s. It is a beautiful jazzy score with some nice songs. It actually won an academy award that year (1952). Strong recommendation for those who like golden age scores and especially in 50s smooth jazz style with romantic strings and woodwind solos.

Great recommendation. Also check out Gerhardt's rerecording.

31 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Here you've got all the Varese DE available on Spotify including Babe DE if you're still interest

I have HOOPLA thru my public liberry

the cover aren't great but the demasters are fine for me. But it certainly doesn't worth the MM Star Wars John Williams Collection treatment... ;)

Star Wars III ꞉ Revenge of the Sith (Remastered).jpg

I think it's the best score from the prequels. An absolute masterpiece!

I think the OST should have been a 2LP like SW and TESB and I don't enjoy listening to it very often (the sound quality is great, though!).  I really enjoy listening to the 1993 boxset CD3, the 1997 2CD set, or a modern style C&C edit

23 minutes ago, Falco said:

R-528627-1480293559-2883.jpeg.jpg

Believe me I'm fully aware of the original and iconic artwork/title font that led to these covers.

But that Star Wars example you've shown works so well because it's more minimalistic than the other ones.  And I will be the first person to champion minimalist artwork design in modern movie posters and album artwork.

The sequel trilogy artwork does a good job paying homage to that original artwork while the other 6 do not.  Arbitrarily picking a color for the episode name too.  Lazy execution that was under lazy art direction in my opinion.

Luckily the Star Wars logo is so iconic they can't be considered ugly.