What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Much Ado about Nothing

Henry V

Love's Labour's Lost

But I must admit, the last one mainly lives from the nice song arrangements.

What do you think about his score to As you like it?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you think about his score to As you like it?

I never really got into it. As I mentioned, with Frankenstein I was already slightly fed uo. Same with Hamlet. 

Much Ado about nothing was the highpoint for me. The Thor score I actually found quite terrible. Later I gave Cinderella a try, but found quite trivial.

But if you recommend it, I would give As You Like It a listen. Seems I am in some kind of Doyle mood. :)

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I never really got into it. As I mentioned, with Frankenstein I was already slightly fed uo. Same with Hamlet. 

Much Ado about nothing was the highpoint for me. The Thor score I actually found quite terrible. Later I gave Cinderella a try, but found quite trivial.

But if you recommend it, I would give As You Like It a listen. Seems I am in some kind of Doyle mood. :)

I haven't listened to it yet, so I'm not recommending it. Btw, I didn't know @Thor's got his own score. Too bad it's terrible. :(

Catch-22 by the Gregson-Williams brothers.

Haven't listened to it since it came out. It's really fun. And not too long. I really like it!!

The jazz and orchestral moments really make for an enjoyable album

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

A Little Princess is lovely

R-3428840-1330033776.jpeg.jpg

Breezy score for the morning. This is stylistically like a cousin to Michael Gore's DEFENDING YOUR LIFE.  McNeely flirts around the classical pieces featured.

ab67616d0000b27360bba18d9ca6dd0aa2d173b9

One of Söderqvist's best scores, IMO (perhaps even the best). Haunting, chilly, melancholic - like the film. I actually did the bonus commentary track on his CD (where I interviewed Söderqvist, sound designer Tormod Ringnes and director Marius Holst).

Justice League (Danny Elfman) - I can’t decide how much I enjoy this score. It’s got some decent action writing (notably Tunnel Chase) and has a lot more texture and interest than most marvel/DC movie scores. Funny that this comes right after a post about Batman Returns which is a far more interesting score both dramatically, thematically and totally. 

30 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Justice League (Danny Elfman) - I can’t decide how much I enjoy this score. It’s got some decent action writing (notably Tunnel Chase) and has a lot more texture and interest than most marvel/DC movie scores. Funny that this comes right after a post about Batman Returns which is a far more interesting score both dramatically, thematically and totally. 

Well I've never enjoyed that score I find the main title quiet boring to be fair, it sounds more like accompagnating music than a true main title. I find the only two really nice things of this album was the first song Everybody Knows and of course the Beatles remix which sounds terrific. Plus it is because of this score that I've stand away for a long time from some older Elfman's masterpieces such as Returns or Scissorshands because JL was one of the few scores I've really listen from that composer at the time with the Alice in Wonderland movies and Avengers: AoU.

The Final Conflict (The Deluxe Edition).jpg

What a great masterpiece! I'm so disappointed that Goldsmith didn't write more trilogy because he really made a terrific jobs with this one.

I was wondering if the Varese DE of the trilogy where all complete or if they were some music missing that might lead to a reissue?

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending (OST album)

Took the shrinkwrap off the Varese version of the OST album today.  I hadn't heard this score in a minute.  I still like it, but I do feel a shorter OST length would have been a better way to initially release the score.  It really meanders for a while in the middle here. 

The complete score actually works pretty well, but this oddball version, too long to be a standard OST album, too short to be the whole thing, is just kinda goofy.

But I really like the themes and the performance and recording, regardless of all that!

Making_MrRight_STV81320.jpg

Sorry for the tiny cover, this is another rarity. I adore electronic 80s Newman. SUSAN  (which was the first time I saw Madonna act) has a remarkable Tangerine Dream feel about it.

R-2004506-1257998106.jpeg.jpg

And another great one from the same era and style, since I was in the mood for it this morning.

Holes (Joel McNeely) & Justin and Knights of Valour (Ilan Eshkeri) - Grouped together as I listened to them one after the other and both struck as surprisingly uninspired efforts from two composers I usually enjoy. I seem to recall Holes being unreleased until Intrada picked it up and, while I really wanted to like it, found it just passed me by. Having listened to one of the 16,942,326 (approx) Tinker Bell scores he has written a couple of days ago and Iron Will, Holes doesn't really have much to say compared to the endless number of hummable tunes from his better efforts. Justin and Knights of Valour is nice enough, but Eshkeri has definitely done better.

Currently on The Orphanage by Fernando Velazquez which is largely enjoyable, notwithstanding that horror scores aren't exactly my thing. Having said that, I'm not sure it's enough to make me pick up the re-recording (the original sounds fine enough to me).

Hollow Man by Jerry Goldsmith

Fondly recalling when I was listening to this at night awhile back and was not ready for a certain spine-tingling noise that’s heard near the end of “The Big Climb”. That man still had it in him even then to scare the crap out of me with his music!

First They Killed my Father (FYC Album).jpg

Well that was disappointing. Usually I find Beltrami's work largely more interesting than this. Here there is mostly unmelodic and frankly boring music without much soul. It really didn't work for me.

Our own @The Illustrious Jerry's playlist of Nicholas Britell's 'The Underground Railroad', thankfully sparing me the work of wading through all plodding slo-mo chords of the long album. It gains and invites you to think more about thematic and instrumental choices, which can be interesting and even stirring on occasion.

Rogue One

Michael Giacchino 

Kind of an underwhelming score all things considered.  It meanders for the most part without a very clear focus, stuck between being a thematic score and a more atmosphere giving one, doing neither very well.  There are moments where themes or orchestration shines a bit, but these moments are scattered and they generally pass by without being satisfactorily developed.  The use of JW's themes is probably the weakest part of the score.  The variations MG tries to put them through simply feel off.

Could have been a lot better. 

The Towering Inferno

The main theme and all its variations are great, and Setting the Charges is a great action cue... But the rest of the score is a little boring and the romantic material is a little cheesy (it  all sounds like an instrumental song from The Carpenters or the like).

In any case, it's interesting to see how JW's style evolved and matured over the decades.

Fun fact: The Towering Inferno is until this day the Warner Bros. movie with most tickets sold here in my country. Not even Potter or DC managed to reach its number of tickets, though Joker came close in 2019.

56 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I started my "4 CD/year" thematic with 1986.

For my next selection, should I go to 1982 or 1987?

I would say 1987: with The Witches of Eastwick, Empire of the Sun, *batteries not included and The Untouchables

and then 1982 which is a better year with E.T., First Blood, The Wrath of Khan and Blade Runner

3 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I would say 1987: with The Witches of Eastwick, Empire of the Sun, *batteries not included and The Untouchables

and then 1982 which is a better year with E.T., First Blood, The Wrath of Khan and Blade Runner

You choose the year, I choose the scores!

12 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

If I recall correctly, Witches of Eastwick is from 1986.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If I recall correctly, Witches of Eastwick is from 1986.

Nah it was reallesed in June 1987 (the 12 in the US).

Williams only wrote SpaceCamp in 1986 and Empire of the Sun, The Witches of Eastwick (+Superman IV) in 1987

Finding Nemo.jpg

Great score from Newman, lots of very fun moment, this has been a while I haven't listened to that one and I clearly missed it.

I although love the cover

ab67616d0000b273bb181b263f7e22964303fb20

The closest Fenton has been to sci fi at this point. It's a weird score - typically offbeat like any Gilliam score would be. Dig the electronic bits; cute, because you can tell it's not Fenton's strength.

The Big Short (FYC Album).jpg

Some really nice stuff here, the Mouseclick Symphony is a really fun cue, too bad that the sound quality is awful although I don't know if it's the same with the original album or just with the FYC.