What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, isn't the third one a natural continuation of the sound anyway? Plenty of Hornerish fingerprints all over the first two as well. I remember Davis talking about the sequels in Krakow some years ago. He said that he was asked to go bigger with the sequel and bigger still with the third one and that it didn't necessarily make anything better. 

I get what you're saying but, for better or worse, it was the only logical endpoint if you follow these instructions.

Possibly, yes. But the first score had that strong minimalistic avant-garde identity that made it unique (among film scores). The second had its brilliant blend of that former sound with electronics, with a similar effect. Both have (besides Adams, Kernis, and Glass) a very strong Horner foundation, and the second score was already moving from the Sneakers-type suspense underscore Horner sound to his more bombastic side. The third score fully embraced that. My "problem" is that a) I'm not that fond of that side of Horner - even in most original (…) Horner scores, I often tire of it before the album is over, and Davis didn't necessarily do it any better than Horner; and b) unlike in the first two scores, there's no strong other "element" to balance the bombast and make the score more than "just that". But I guess it also mimicks the film in that way.

It's still a really good score, of course. Just one I'm rarely in the mood for - I'd usually rather put one of the other two on.

I love all three The Matrix scores. I think the third one is a great mix of typical Horner/Davis action music with religious choirs that make it sound even more epic.

I wish more composers these days don't feel afraid to use more choir into their blockbuster scores.

:music:The Hole by Javier Navarrete. Perhaps not quite on Goldsmith level of quality but still a respectable attempt at recapuring that 1980s Joe Dante magic...as filtered through the European melancholy of Pan's Labyrinth. Back in the day we would probably get a decent theme but here we sort of get only half themes. Ah, well... At least it feels like proper music and makes for a nice enough listening experience on album. Feels like "something" so that's good enough to me. 

Karol

Seinfeld by Jonathan Wolff

Yea, the sitcom!  The score was released today.

There's a bunch of super fun comedy music throughout here I really enjoyed, but the album as a whole is poorly structured.  Having 3 versions of the theme tune in a row to open the album is kinda silly instead of spreading them throughout the album, and then putting the three "John Jermaine Jazz" cues so early completely kills the momentum the album had.  Since they are so different from all the rest of the music here, and weren't even used in the show, they really should have been the final 3 tracks, a little jazz outro after the comedic stylings.

One fun cue is "Jerry Vs Newman Chase", a Mission: Impossible pastiche, which is followed by "Cable Guy Vs Kramer Chase", one of the longest cues, which features some fun action writing and over the top electronics.

There's actually a  bunch of nice pastiche writing throughout; This isn't al album of short stingers by any means.  I enjoyed it, but probably won't listen to it very often, certainly not in this configuration.

Yeah, read about it over on FSM. Rather bizarre; I never thought there was much to release -- basically all twangy, short bass/percussion intros and outros. But I'm going to give it a shot!

53 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It's a John Williams day!

- The Last Jedi (Isolated Score)

- Return of the Jedi SE (Bespin Remastered Edition 2019)

- The Phantom Menace (Ultimate Edition)

What's the Bespin Remastered Edition?

That's my remaster of the SE Edition, I tweaked the Equalizer to make it listenable (in fact to obtain the same curves than the ones on the Remastered OST [which is known to have a perfect sound]).

And it's great!

Ghost Story

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Delerue) 

Beauty and the Beast (Auric) 

10 Cloverfield Lane

Hard Rain

Happy Feet

Karol

:music: The Personal History of David Copperfield by Christopher Willis. Just like The Death of Stalin a heavily classically-influenced score. Itis beautifully crafted from start to finish. I only wish it had a bit of a stronger throughline. I remember it felt very scattered, just like the film. And while it makes some sense within the story a bit more of a narrative spine would have helped. 

Karol

Still listening to Always (now available from La-La Land Records!) But I took a nice break to spin The Rocketeer. They make a nice pair.

I think today I'll listen to Memphis Belle (George Fenton). Good day for propellers. And I'll wonder as always why on earth the Harry Connick Jr. version of Danny Boy isn't on there.

:music: Ice Age: The Meltdown. I finally have my own copy of this. Out of all more kiddie animation scores from John Powell this one always had the most coherent and satisfying album. It doesn't feel scattered and the solid collection of themes is well utilised. Between this, Happy Feet, X-Men: The Last Stand and United 93, 2006 was a very strong year for him. 

Karol

On 7/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Tenet

Karol

Tenet had a score?

:music: The Taking of Pelham One Two Three by David Shire. OK this might be one of the great film scores in film history. Shire has an amazing ability to present the cerebral in the most accessible and musical of ways. Brilliant stuff. 

Karol

:music: Final Fantasy VII Remake. I need to come up with some way to break it up because there is no way to listen to this all the way through. It's bloody 14-hour long! 

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Final Fantasy VII Remake. I need to come up with some way to break it up because there is no way to listen to this all the way through. It's bloody 14-hour long! 

Karol

Just break it up by chapter.  Enjoy one chapter at a time in between other scores

8 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Birdman.jpg

Meh. The drum score didn't do anything for me luckily there's Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff at the end.

What about the Mahler? Or did they not put that on the album (I haven't heard it)?

I liked the score in the film. Probably nothing I'd need on CD. It's curious that it seems to have a reputation strong enough to have it scheduled in the Wiener Konzerthaus' annual "Film+Musik live" cycle of live to projection scores. Very few original scores get a slot there, it's mostly new music written for "respected" classic films. The only other one I can think of right now is the the Chaplin/Raksin Modern Times, which they've done almost every year (always crediting it solely to Chaplin).

58 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What about the Mahler? Or did they not put that on the album (I haven't heard it)?

There's Malher of course and it's great. I just quoted my 2 favourite tracks

John Powell - How To Train Your Dragon (Varese Deluxe)

My umpteenth listen since this came out.  What a pure joy

Jerry Goldsmith - The Public Eye (Intrada)

I liked it a lot!  It immediately creates a cool mood and stays there the whole time.

The only problem is a weak narrative drive.  It just kind of goes for a while then stops, not clear beginning / middle / end to it.

David Arnold - Independence Day (Complete)

Woohoo!  One of my absolute favorite scores of all time, and one I hadn't listened to in a while.  Boy was it a pleasure to listen to again

Ludwig Goransson day! 

Creed

Creed

The Mandalorian: Season 1

The Mandalorian: Season 2

And bits of Tenet

Karol

Kong is one of the most reliable characters when it comes to film music. All of his (official) movies have at the very least a decent score: Max Steiner, John Barry, JNH... Even Henry Jackman's Skull Island is okay. I guess the only exception is Tom "BWAANNN" Holkenborg in GvK.

Has 💉 ever done a score that is worth listening.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

James Horner - The Rocketeer (complete)

Man, what an utterly terrific score.  I love every single cue, the complete version has no wasted notes at all and is just a fantastic listen

But but the danger motif and and wrath of khan and and other stuff. 

It is grand isn't it  I still remember seeing for the 1st time. I geeked out.

It's one of my earliest memories of seeing a film in the theater!

I loved it then and I love it now

It was also one of the first score albums I ever bought