What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Dressed to Kill, its been awhile. I love the music from the asylum

Paycheck

Images

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Orchestral Arrangements 

Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite

:music: Godzilla (complete) by Alexandre Desplat

Karol

Angels & Demons (recording sessions) by Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, Geoff Zanelli, Atli Örvarsson and Mel Wesson

Pretty good! I liked the mix between liturgical choir, synth and mid-2000s RC action music.

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

Top of the world

I was never able to get into the Debney Superman, even when it was the only game in town. But that Tadlow Lawrence... Hoo doggy that's some good stuff.

David Arnold - Tomorrow Never Dies (complete)

Ah, a huge favorite of mine for, well, almost forever (it was one of the first film scores I bought).  I love it and just cannot wait for a proper definitive release from Neil

Joe Kraemer - Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (fan edit)

Felt like the right score to listen to next.  Another modern day spy score full of throwbacks to 60s spy scoring.  This was a not complete, but longer than the OST album fan edit that was pretty good.  The OST album is very well assembled, but there's some cool stuff that wasn't on there.  I wonder if we'll ever get an expanded release of this?

On 7/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, Edmilson said:

Batman Begins (complete) by Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Ramin Djawadi, Lorne Balfe and Mel Wesson.

Isn't it like one note.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:36 PM, Tallguy said:

I was never able to get into the Debney Superman, even when it was the only game in town. But that Tadlow Lawrence... Hoo doggy that's some good stuff.

It sounded wrong.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (OST)

For some reason listening to Kraemer's MI5 score often makes me want to listen to Elfman's score next.  I accidentally clicked the OST album instead of the complete album because it's first in the LLL set when it's usually the other way around in most expansions lol.  By the time I realized it I didn't bother to change.  Such a great score.  I missed the cool moments that are in the complete but not the OST album though, like the big MI theme arrangement for the arrival at Langley.

David Arnold - The World Is Not Enough (Complete)

One of my favorite expanded albums of all time.  I played this an unhealthy amount when it first came out.  It was nice to return to again after a long time away - it's as great as ever!  I may possibly like this score more than Tomorrow Never Dies at this point.  Maybe a proper expansion of TND will flip me back around the other way? :)

:music: Always by John Williams. My first ever listen to the score (outside of the two cues appearing on some old compilation). Is it just me or does some of the material sound almost Hornerish? 

Karol

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Can you believe it was 30 years ago?

1991 Part I

20210716_082340.jpg

Such a great scores from a wide range of genres too. I always felt that City Slickers was more of a warmup for City Slickers II which I think is a more accomplished effort. Both a great, but the sequel expands on the best parts of the original and turns it into a western score strong enough to be considered alongside the best in the genre. The opening titles track, in particular, is utterly brilliant.

45 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I always felt that City Slickers was more of a warmup for City Slickers II which I think is a more accomplished effort. Both a great, but the sequel expands on the best parts of the original and turns it into a western score strong enough to be considered alongside the best in the genre. The opening titles track, in particular, is utterly brilliant.

Yes!

I bought City Slickers, mainly because it's in the 250 AFI list.

Marc Shaiman is an underrated composer.

15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I bought City Slickers, mainly because it's in the 250 AFI list.

Marc Shaiman is an underrated composer.

Definitely, he wrote plenty of great scores and a number of pretty great musicals too. If you like City Slickers, I'd definitely recommend the score to the sequel. Using any excuse for a humble brag, I got an email from Marc Shaiman when I used to run my soundtrack review site thanking me for my glowing, 5 star review of City Slickers II, an assessment I stand by. Indeed, I'd perhaps go so far as to say it remains his best score to date.

Flesh + Blood (Basil Poledouris) - In my haste to jump straight to Starship Troopers, I think I forget how great this score is. When it comes down to his sword and sorcery efforts, I think it possibly ranks above Conan for me. Its less sophisticated than Conan and has less variety but I find it utterly thrilling and the action music is some of his best.

Whatever your views on the music, the performance by the LSO is sensational. A shame there wasn’t the budget for a top rate orchestra on Conan really. Even though the re-recording is pretty great, there are few that can match the power and resonance of the LSO brass.

Next up, Wind. As the other half has pointed out… it’s been a Poledouris week.

You know what, I shall give Flesh+Blood a spin as well this weekend. Thank you for wetting my appetite @Tom Guernsey. Always a pleasure to read your posts. :)

:music: Wonder Woman 1984. I'm not sure how much of it Hans wrote himself but for the most part it is glorious fun. Melodic and joyful, who would have thought? This sounds almost Powell-esque:

Karol

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Flesh + Blood (Basil Poledouris) - In my haste to jump straight to Starship Troopers, I think I forget how great this score is. When it comes down to his sword and sorcery efforts, I think it possibly ranks above Conan for me. Its less sophisticated than Conan and has less variety but I find it utterly thrilling and the action music is some of his best.

I wouldn't rank it as highly as Conan, but it's great and I should play it more often. I also tend to sort of forget about it.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Next up, Wind. As the other half has pointed out… it’s been a Poledouris week.

One of my Poledouris favourites, and probably one of my most played of his.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Thank you for wetting my appetite

You're practically drooling already. ;) 

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

You know what, I shall give Flesh+Blood a spin as well this weekend. Thank you for wetting my appetite @Tom Guernsey. Always a pleasure to read your posts. :)

:music: Wonder Woman 1984. I'm not sure how much of it Hans wrote himself but for the most part it is glorious fun. Melodic and joyful, who would have thought? This sounds almost Powell-esque:

Karol

Half of my listening is down to what people mention on these threads so glad to return the favour! Hope you enjoyed Flesh + Blood as much as I did! Will have to give WW84 another spin... the first few tracks are especially great but I did kinda lose interest later on as it got a bit more actiony and less fun, but still a surprisingly decent effort.

Currently on Powder - perhaps surprisingly for Jerry, the score never quite lives up to the promise of it's memorable main theme (which I always thought sounded a bit like an upbeat version of the theme from The Edge). Nice enough, but not his most consistently engaging effort. On the flip side, loved revisiting the original Small Soldiers album, which is one of those occasions where the original programme and editing make a nice companion to the expanded release. He always had such fun with Dante movies.

8 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Currently on Powder - perhaps surprisingly for Jerry, the score never quite lives up to the promise of it's memorable main theme (which I always thought sounded a bit like an upbeat version of the theme from The Edge). Nice enough, but not his most consistently engaging effort.

It's Goldsmith in full Barry mode, and he probably succeeded at it - because with the later melodic Barry scores, it also seems that the theme is all I need (and sometimes I tire of that before it's over, gorgeous though the themes always are).

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

Being one of the greatest chamaleonic composers in Hollywood, Debney doesn't have too much of a style. Parts of the score sound like Silvestri, others sound like Horner, Williams, and so on.

But hey, who cares about that? The important is that this score is loads of fun! The LLL album is a very engaging extravaganza of orchestra (the great LSO) and choir for 2 hours. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's Goldsmith in full Barry mode, and he probably succeeded at it - because with the later melodic Barry scores, it also seems that the theme is all I need (and sometimes I tire of that before it's over, gorgeous though the themes always are).

Yeah pretty much that! It’s got some lovely moments and I have the expanded version but it’s not the most interesting score ever. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

Being one of the greatest chamaleonic composers in Hollywood, Debney doesn't have too much of a style. Parts of the score sound like Silvestri, others sound like Horner, Williams, and so on.

But hey, who cares about that? The important is that this score is loads of fun! The LLL album is a very engaging extravaganza of orchestra (the great LSO) and choir for 2 hours. 

Is there a score by Debney that could be deemed to be in his own style or does he just not have one? Not being too unkind but I can’t think of one where it doesn’t sound like someone else. Although often it works like gangbusters. His score for Predators obviously heavily leans on Alan Silvestri but is terrific for all that.

As an aside, I always find it weird that James Horner borrowed so much but yet always seemed to sound like James Horner. I don’t really know how he did it…