What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

TITANIC - JAMES HORNER 

I've always loved this score and the stunning expansion has given us so much lovely stuff. 

That 2 ½ Miles Down cue is stunning. Giving us more than we even knew was written.

The action cues for the film's third act are all here, Trapped On D Deck being my particular highlight. A Building Panic is completely different to the identically named cue on the follow up album but is even better. That percussion. :music:

I LOVE THIS

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

Like if 2001 was yesterday.... THAT'S 20 YEARS AGO ALREADY!!!!

2001 Part I (of course!)

222628312_4779014298781036_8591033673735464556_n.jpg

That is an amazing lineup. Hope FF will join the other expansions soon. 

Karol

R-4637093-1490701034-3960.jpeg.jpg

It's one of those JW scores that I rarely listen to. I only seem to like the Prologue, which is only 30 seconds. It could have been a film logo theme. 

ab67616d0000b273a73a875c921f966aee371cde

Some of the purely ethnic music can grate a bit, but the synth-driven stuff is predictably gorgeous, given Kitaro's main area of expertise. What has always impressed with this score, however, are the more orchestral parts. Sophisticated and layered; I don't know if he did the orchestrations himself.

I think that The Land Theme from Heaven & Earth is quite gorgeous. I still listen to that piece occasionally.

R-92801-1182450244.jpeg.jpg

I don't care what anyone says about Vangelis. I am a huge fan and will always be a defender of him, he is one of my top 10 favorite composers. I think that this score is a highly entertaining album even if I generally favor Vangelis's earlier work.

20 minutes ago, Aenae said:

I don't care what anyone says about Vangelis. I am a huge fan and will always be a defender of him, he is one of my top 10 favorite composers. I think that this score is a highly entertaining album even if I generally favor Vangelis's earlier work.

Right on!

Water for Elephants

One of my top 3 JNH scores ever. This is the sort of movie that most people would associate with Horner or Thomas Newman, but it's precisely the kind of film JNH should do more often.

2 hours ago, Aenae said:

I think that The Land Theme from Heaven & Earth is quite gorgeous. I still listen to that piece occasionally.

R-92801-1182450244.jpeg.jpg

I still think Pinta, Niña and Santa Maria is Vangelis magnus opus. Still, has fantastic as this album is, I would love to see a release of the complete score. There so many great cues and themes in the movie that are completely absent from the album

7 minutes ago, Romão said:

I still think Pinta, Niña and Santa Maria is Vangelis magnus opus. Still, has fantastic as this album is, I would love to see a release of the complete score. There so many great cues and themes in the movie that are completely absent from the album

I think I might agree with you. I have always preferred that long 13 minute piece over the famous Conquest of Paradise track.

I am not familiar with more of the score beyond this album, I have seen the film once many years ago, but I can't remember anything about it. I'm satisfied with the current album, but I wouldn't mind seeing a complete score released.

Hans Zimmer - Drop Zone (Quartet main program)

I almost forgot about this one.  Fun stuff!

John Williams - Hook (fan edit)

A masterpiece of film scoring!

John Williams - The River (film tracks program from Intrada CD)

Hadn't heard this in a while - felt like spending time with an old friend

Discovering First Contact, with a reconstitution (without  EDIT) of the Original Album, making me happy adding Roy’s song. :D

image.png

Extreme Prejudice (Jerry) - giving it a spin to decide whether to get the expanded version. I'm enjoying it, but not 100% sold on the need to upgrade (for once!) from the LLL version. Sound is good and it's not missing a massive amount. Happy to be convinced otherwise though...

Tried listening to Sleepy Hollow beforehand and found it to be just noisy. The main theme just sounds like Link.

Figured ‘maybe I’m just not in the right mood’, then ended up listening to Doyle’s Frankenstein instead and was hooked.

Elfman was never great with action music. 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Even 1 disc of Sleepy Hollow is too much for me, I don't need 4 of them.

If there's more material like the first half of the OST, I'm all for it. The OST drags a lot more in the second half

4 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Very atmospheric. I think I saw the movie but I don't remember it.

One of the few Desplats I really like.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Three of those are very good, but not The Russia House.

Obviously only one of the four is The Russia House. You can tell with the titles.

Today was the day to remember some great scores released exactly 20 years ago:

Pearl Harbor (recording sessions) - Hans Zimmer

One of Zimmer's most well known scores from his "epic" era, this one is a blend between John Barry, Morricone and RC/MV. The romantic/dramatic material is more delicate than his usual action scores - which doesn't mean there aren't any action. On the contrary, there's some pretty great music for the battle scenes, which unfortunately weren't released on the official OST. Maybe it's because Zimmer didn't wrote them? It's possible.

The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

Oh boy, Silvestri's action scoring has never been better than here. The choirs for the final battle with the Scorpion King are :w00t:.

QUEEN-OF-THE-DESERT.jpg

Werner Herzog's 2015 epic was lambasted by critics (I was also unimpressed, giving it 2 of 5 stars on MUBI). But Badelt's score is gorgeous -- obligatory Arabic sonorities meet classical, western modalities (with some very Chopin-like piano solos). A tad long at almost 80 minutes, but a hearty reminder that Badelt is criminally underused these days.

Jerry Goldsmith - Lionheart (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Oof.  Two attempts at this now and it's not clicking with me.  I love most every Jerry score I check out, but I can't wrap my head around this one.

David Arnold - Die Another Day (LLL main program)

Try as I might, I just can't get into this one, despite LOVING TND, TWINE, and CR.  Weird.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oof.  Two attempts at this now and it's not clicking with me.  I love most every Jerry score I check out, but I can't wrap my head around this one.

Try as I might, I just can't get into this one, despite LOVING TND, TWINE, and CR.  Weird.

Bad music days happens!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Not that weird. It wasn't very good. (Way better than the film.) But then he'd write CR and QoS. QoS is possibly the best score for a terrible Bond. And that's some competition! 

From what I've heard of Lionheart it seems like a 1996 Goldsmith score written in 1987?

The strange thing is it didn't feel like a score to a adventure flick set during the Crusades

I've never seen the film though, maybe if I had it'd make more sense

30 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

From what I've heard of Lionheart it seems like a 1996 Goldsmith score written in 1987?

It's got some bits that place it clearly somewhere between Baby and Total Recall. The synths take some getting used to, the orchestral performance is unfortunate (not so much the flubs but the overall insecure sound), but the core is solid quality Goldsmith with some memorable themes.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

The strange thing is it didn't feel like a score to a adventure flick set during the Crusades

Did First Knight? I'm always curious what makes a score sound like it "fits".

Hmm, good question - I haven't listened to that one in a long time, but the last time I did listen I did feel it had an appropriate feel, from what I recall